Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was driving home on clear sunny day through a tree lined street in the afternoon (sun rays shining through the trees at a high angle).

The road had a pattern of light and shadows. When I drove past a patch of light color leaves in the shadow area it triggered emergency braking. No cars in front or behind me. Its the only time this has happened in almost a year and 8k miles so I'm assuming it just looked like an obstacle to the computer. No harm done.

Was curious if others have triggered false emergency braking and in what situations?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Thanks for your post. This is a good topic for folks to share.

I had a false trigger when my windshield was cracked in front of the camera and the sun hit it just right. No harm but it did surprise me.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
There is a historically dangerous railroad crossing nearby that was changed to an underpass, so the railroad track/bridge is still at street level. Because of East/West cross streets on both sides of the tracks that run parallel, the dip under the tracks is quite steep and starts fairly close to the bridge.

I use this street often and 1 time the Eyesight pre collision warning went off, just the warning, no emergency braking as I was going into the dip.

I think that it was raining when this happened.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I recalled from my experience that if the sun ray (e.g. ~8am and ~5pm) hits the eyesight camera, the system just turn off due to overexposure of light into the camera sensor(s). I can see why it gave you a false trigger because the system likely rely on contrast detection, caused by the sudden changes in exposure of light.

Tesla rely on other object detection systems for their autopilot system to prevent any potential false triggers.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,839 Posts
I would imagine that there are probably multiple "ducks that have to be in a row" for this kind of false trigger to happen in the wild and it's probably going to be rare.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts