Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting conflicting information on whether or not I have to have the Eyesight recalibrated when you get a new windshield (if I can find a new windshield). On another forum, dealerships have told their customers that if the camera isn't touched, you're good to go. Others say if the Eyesight doesn't report an error, no problem. I know I had my Outback recalibrated when I had it replaced to a tune of $150. Is there any official word? All OEM parts are back-ordered with an unknown delivery date so now I will be looking for third party windshield replacements.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Of course you don't HAVE to. But with something as important as Eyesight, I would 100% have it calibrated. If anything happens in the future and they look back and see that you didn't get it calibrated, they can point to that as a reason.

Also, it may not have been impacted or touched when the original windshield was broken but you never know about the removal and instillation of the new windshield. They may bump it accidentally.

I'm always a fan of playing it safe.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I did some research and my insurance will cover paying for the calibration of eyesight if I was to replace my windshield.

They said it may be an out of pocket if the windshield shop could not do it, but they would reimburse.

I have Geico and live in NJ.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I did some research and my insurance will cover paying for the calibration of eyesight if I was to replace my windshield.

They said it may be an out of pocket if the windshield shop could not do it, but they would reimburse.

I'm with USAA and they said something very similar.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't checked with my insurance, but if they are similar, it appears I would have to live with my 20" (and growing) crack at least a month. My dealership said the windshield is on backorder and couldn't even give me an estimate on delivery. Someone else on another forum said their dealership said 1 month. I can't imagine any glass shop being able to recalibrate Eyesight so it comes down to:

1) Find a 3rd party windshield and pay $150 out of pocket for recalibration or
2) Wait for Subaru to find me a windshield and drive with a distracting crack for a month or more - but insurance would most likely pay for recalibration.
Neither choice is overly appealing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’m getting mine replaced Monday by Safelite. It took them over a week to get the windshield. Safelite told me they only had 3 windshields available in in the entire USA and that I must get the Eyesight recalibrated at my dealer after the installation.

My insurance company (Allstate) also told me it had to be recalibrated and they’ll pay for the recalibration.

·
Registered
36 Posts

I have Auto-Owners and they said the same. But my dealer specifically told me to NOT let a windshield installer attempt to calibrate the Eyesight, but to take it to a dealer to do it. Dealer is charging me $250 out of pocket but insurance will reimburse me (I have complete glass coverage).

I'm in AZ.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have Auto-Owners and they said the same. But my dealer specifically told me to NOT let a windshield installer attempt to calibrate the Eyesight, but to take it to a dealer to do it. Dealer is charging me $250 out of pocket but insurance will reimburse me (I have complete glass coverage).

I'm in AZ.

I talked to my insurance (State Farm) and they would pay if the windshield company could do the calibration. However, since the car is so new, SafeLite (State Farm's preferred provider in my area) doesn't have the ability to calibrate an Ascent. They say they are given the software and tools from Subaru directly on how to calibrate the Eyesight so not sure why an autoglass company couldn't do the calibration IF they had the correct software. SafeLite could do the other Subaru's. My insurance is talking to the dealer since no one outside the dealership can calibrate and they will most likely pay for the dealer to do the calibration.

On a slightly different topic, some have said they will only get a windshield from a dealership because they want OEM. I asked and SafeLite only gets OEM windshields so it sounds like I will be waiting quite some time until one is sent my way.

·
Registered
965 Posts
OK. So what does the recalibration entail? Is it mechanical or software/firmware-based?
When my techs were first leaning how to do it, about 3 hours. Now they've got it down to under 2.

The car has to be set in place. Then a large screen with a special pattern is put out at a specific height and distance from the car. Then they start doing something with the computers and cameras. I don't know exactly what, I just know it's NOT a fast and easy process. (So yeah, it's both mechanical AND software based.)

Also note that there are no non-OEM windshields available for any eyesight car, so far as I can tell. Whether it's true or not, I've been told that the lamination process they use when they make them is very brand specific, and there's just not been a big enough demand for any other glass company to make them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’m getting mine replaced Monday by Safelite. It took them over a week to get the windshield. Safelite told me they only had 3 windshields available in in the entire USA and that I must get the Eyesight recalibrated at my dealer after the installation.

My insurance company (Allstate) also told me it had to be recalibrated and they’ll pay for the recalibration.
Got mine installed this afternoon. It’s a Subaru windshield not aftermarket. The Safelite installer had a bit of difficulty trying to figure out how to remove the rain sensor from the windshield. He said he’s done many Subaru’s with Eyesight, but the way the rain sensor is attached to the windshield on the Ascent is new and he didn’t want to ruin it so he took his time on it.

I’ve got my appointment with my dealer for recalibration tomorrow.

Hope y'all can get your windshields soon. I think me getting mine so fast was just a “right place at the right time” thing.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I’m confused as to why an optical based system would need recalibration after a windshield replacement. Assuming the cameras were not damaged and the computer logic wasn’t modified the beauty of optical systems they see what they see and respond accordingly.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I’m confused as to why an optical based system would need recalibration after a windshield replacement. Assuming the cameras were not damaged and the computer logic wasn’t modified the beauty of optical systems they see what they see and respond accordingly.
Basically it's pretty simple. The angled and curved windshield acts like another lens, in front of the camera lenses themselves. You change that extra lens, it can change the focal length. It's just like taking an old SLR and adjusting one of the dials ever so slightly - it can make the picture slightly out of focus. You're correct in that the camera and computer logic itself doesn't change - but the extra lens (the windshield) HAS changed. It may not have changed enough to matter, but in the interests of making sure, you re-calibrate things.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got mine installed this afternoon. It’s a Subaru windshield not aftermarket. The Safelite installer had a bit of difficulty trying to figure out how to remove the rain sensor from the windshield. He said he’s done many Subaru’s with Eyesight, but the way the rain sensor is attached to the windshield on the Ascent is new and he didn’t want to ruin it so he took his time on it.

I’ve got my appointment with my dealer for recalibration tomorrow.

Hope y'all can get your windshields soon. I think me getting mine so fast was just a “right place at the right time” thing.

SafeLite called me tonight and the time frame is "4-6 weeks". I love driving with a 15-20" crack running directly thru my central vision.

Reactions: Trey T

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
looks like SafeLite have windshield for ASCENT just not for Touring (Rain Sensor) model

Well, of course I have a Touring. And I really like my rain sensing feature!

Reactions: Trey T

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
looks like SafeLite have windshield for ASCENT just not for Touring (Rain Sensor) model
I would absolutely ensure it's a Subaru windshield. I've gotten their "as good as or better than OEM Subaru replacement windshields" and they've been terrible, even when they sourced them from one of the same manufacturers that Subaru uses (their aftermarket ones being considerably worse quality than the OEM one it replaced).

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would absolutely ensure it's a Subaru windshield. I've gotten their "as good as or better than OEM Subaru replacement windshields" and they've been terrible, even when they sourced them from one of the same manufacturers that Subaru uses (their aftermarket ones being considerably worse quality than the OEM one it replaced).

They told me they had to order from the manufacturer and that was OEM. They said there aren't any 3rd party manufacturers yet. I've heard that from two different sources so that's the best I can do. The lead time is no different from ordering from my dealer - I checked. Well, the dealer couldn't give me a time frame at all - it was unknown. I'm thinking 4-6 weeks sounds realistic based on others comments.

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
They told me they had to order from the manufacturer and that was OEM. They said there aren't any 3rd party manufacturers yet. I've heard that from two different sources so that's the best I can do. The lead time is no different from ordering from my dealer - I checked. Well, the dealer couldn't give me a time frame at all - it was unknown. I'm thinking 4-6 weeks sounds realistic based on others comments.
That's awesome! Sometimes, they have third party glass or glass made by a manufacturer that makes glass for Subaru (that isn't the same quality), so, glad you got the answer that you did. You should be all set.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts