Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, we just purchased our ascent a week ago a Limited with KCC package and love it. We made the trade up from our 17 3.6r Legacy which we loved but with a growing family etc. We needed to upgrade. Well we're slightly concerned because we have less than 300 miles on our car and our eyesight is acting odd. Now we're use to eyesight with the legacy and how funny it can be at times,( sun glare,snow etc) but within the first 100 miles with our ascent it's has been a headache.

So here is what we're facing. Intially we thought it was an Android Auto glitch as I drove our car on a back road here in NH which is very bumpy I hit a bump and Android auto shut down and all of the Eyesight systems turned off.Well, I pulled over shut the car down in hopes it was a new car bug. A week goes by my wife has the same thing but she wasn't using Android auto. She hit a bump and BAM eyesight disabled again even having starlink send me error email saying to take to dealer and read manual.

It has done it a handful of times and appears to be when hitting a good size bump. We have a great dealer team we're working with who will have it for a week but I know if a dealer can't reproduce that problem then it's tough to fix something when you can't see what's wrong. We have photos,codes and videos I'm curious has anoyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hello everyone, we just purchased our ascent a week ago a Limited with KCC package and love it. We made the trade up from our 17 3.6r Legacy which we loved but with a growing family etc. We needed to upgrade. Well we're slightly concerned because we have less than 300 miles on our car and our eyesight is acting odd. Now we're use to eyesight with the legacy and how funny it can be at times,( sun glare,snow etc) but within the first 100 miles with our ascent it's has been a headache.

So here is what we're facing. Intially we thought it was an Android Auto glitch as I drove our car on a back road here in NH which is very bumpy I hit a bump and Android auto shut down and all of the Eyesight systems turned off.Well, I pulled over shut the car down in hopes it was a new car bug. A week goes by my wife has the same thing but she wasn't using Android auto. She hit a bump and BAM eyesight disabled again even having starlink send me error email saying to take to dealer and read manual.

It has done it a handful of times and appears to be when hitting a good size bump. We have a great dealer team we're working with who will have it for a week but I know if a dealer can't reproduce that problem then it's tough to fix something when you can't see what's wrong. We have photos,codes and videos I'm curious has anoyone else had this issue?
I've been driving a basic Ascent as a loaner on and off for a few weeks (due to outback issues) and I've noticed that the lane change has momentarily shown as off several times and also eyesight being disabled on a handful of occasions over 800 or so miles.

Does this ring any bells with you or anyone else?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Happens all the time for me. At least once a day or every other day. It say off but the lane keeper doesn’t actually turn off most of the time. I’ve had it actually turn off a few times. Not sure the reason and I can’t reproduce the problem, so I figure the dealer will take the car and wont be able to reproduce either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is it exactly. It appears Random at first but we noticed it's only when we hit a bump. Does your stay off completely? I tried turning it back on by holding the buttons for 3-5s and no luck. Only turning the car on and off allows for a reset.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update

So according to our Subi shop they were able to see a code that the infotainment system and eyesight lose connection. They of course were not able to reduplicate this but did perform an update of the software hoping that it fixed it. We pick it up tomorrow and are hoping the problem is fixed. Ill keep everyone posted if it does or doesn't. We really enjoy this car and hope to not have all kinds of "little bugs". I understand they're going to happen our Legacy was in the shop at least 10-15 times for small things, back up camera fell out, hood dampener crapped out. Moon-roof motor went etc. New cars come with new problems just waiting to be explored but once we got the "bugs" worked out we got 60k miles out of it with no "MAJOR" issues and we're hoping that with the Ascent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I owned an Outback for two years. I never received abnormal messages using eyesight. The only time Eyesight was disabled was driving through snow, fog or rain.

The Ascent I purchased is a totally different matter.

Over the course of a 98 mile drive on a partly cloudy day, I experienced six “Eyesight Off” messages and three Eyesight disabled messages

This is highly abnormal when compared to the 2017 Outback 3.6R I owned.

A few days after the above mentioned experience, I test drove the same exact 98 mile route on an overcast day with no rain. Result: five Eyesight off, three eyesight disabled, one “Keep Lane Assist” off.
I also received two or three “Eyesight Off” messages on day two or three of ownership before the car was ever driven over 45 mph

My windshield cracked about a month after purchase. That is another matter. The reason I know my test drive results are valid - I took the test drives several days after the windshield was replaced and Eyesight was recalibrated.

I first noticed this more marked Eyesight behavior on a 250 mile trip that involved driving through a construction zone
over the course of about 70 of the 250 miles. I noticed the increased number of warnings, but thought they may have been due to construction. It didn’t make sense though given I received warnings in non-construction zones.

I worked as as a software test engineering manager on very complicated, scalable, UNIX carrier grade software on all major UNIX platforms.

I have read the manual end to end three times. To date I have driven the car with all default settings only.

I like the dealer I bought the Ascent from very much. The manual lists more conditions than you can imagine - that might cause Eyesight to report back errors to the driver. The dealer defers to the stated conditions in the manual.

All I know is this particular Ascent’s Eyesight system has reported back adverse warnings more times during 196 miles of driving, than my 2017 Outback reported back in over two years. The Outback reported back “Eyesight off” only with dense fog, heavy rain, or heavy snow in the Pacific Northwest or mountains of Colorado in the winter. At that I was amazed at how well Eyesight worked under these conditions.

I know enough about engineering to conclude my vehicle has a certain probability of being unsafe to drive. The system can modify your braking and steering. Knowing that is the case, driving this particular Ascent with Eyesight on is not a very smart way to drive. Even with Eyesight off, one has to worry the system might still fail.

One of two things happens in the future:

1. I will be testing Eyesight much more rigorously in the future using a fully developed matrix of test permutations and Subaru responds with fixes to the system wherein it performs like the 2017 Outback.

2. I walk away from the Ascent and purchase another Make/Model.

If others have experienced this type of behavior with Eyesight on their 2019 Ascent I would like to see posts to help compare behaviors. This type of behavior can often boil down to one single defect (bug) in software or firmware.

Not related to Eyesight, but relevant to the sophisticated electronics, firmware and software in today’s new cars: the entire radio/sound panel blackscreened, no controls worked, the radio was stuck on the tuned in station, the volume was not adjustable, and, the radio could not be shut off. These sound systems when not upgraded to Rockford-Fosgate are made by Harmon-Karden. Harmon-Karden in my book is a solid company that puts out great systems.

I don’t even know if this is a Subaru sponsored forum. If it is - Subaru North America Customer Care can expect to hear from me in the future after I have tested the system further.

Best time to test is after a new Subaru OEM windshield has been installed and Eyesight has been re-calibrated.

·
Registered
266 Posts
If its any help as a comparison, my Ascent in 4 months and 3800 miles only deactivated Eyesight twice on the same dark night under really heavy rain. It stayed disabled for about 30 seconds to a minute I would say, and reactivated by itself. I can imagine if it was hard for me to see it probably was for the computer as well, so I'd say that's normal operation.

For the other poster above that got a code about a lose connector: as far as my knowledge goes, a lose connector won't get fixed by a software upgrade, somebody needs to stick his hands and check all connectors. Getting disabled after a bump is to me a clear symptom of a physical issue: a bad cable, lose connector, a bad solder joint in a PCB, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your post about Eyesight disabling 2x at night is exactly what I would expect for frequency over 3600 miles. Helpful
post given I honestly don’t think my dealer knows what “normal” should be. The manual has a very long list of conditions that could cause the false positives. This is normal driving on with 2/3 a well maintained interstate, 1/3 well maintained 35/45 mph in city. No differentiation between interstate vs. city false positives.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Your post about Eyesight disabling 2x at night is exactly what I would expect for frequency over 3600 miles. Helpful
post given I honestly don’t think my dealer knows what “normal” should be. The manual has a very long list of conditions that could cause the false positives. This is normal driving on with 2/3 a well maintained interstate, 1/3 well maintained 35/45 mph in city. No differentiation between interstate vs. city false positives.
Deactivations are one thing, when the system knows it can't make sense of what is seeing. False positives is a different thing, when the system sees an object that isn't there and gives you a warning or even presses the brakes. I never had false positives that weren't there. I did have some disagreements with Eyesight, where according to my normal driving habits I had plenty of time so I didn't even bother pressing the brakes and Eyesight feels it's time to slam the brakes. It left me twice with a WFT? feeling, but the machine wasn't completely wrong, just way overly cautious in my opinion.

Back to your case: getting Eyesight disabled 6 times on a regular cloudy day is a malfunction and needs to be investigated. It is not normal. Something is bad with a sensor, connector,cable, who knows, but you must insist that it needs to be fixed. Now I'm pretty sure 99% of mechanics, even the best ones, will have no clue how to diagnose a sofisticated system like Eyesight so be patient and try to escalate...

·
Registered
816 Posts
I would say there’s a problem.I just finished a 1020 miles trip to NY the MAPS APP on my iphone routed me to use the George Washington Bridge to get into the borough of Queens(thank god it was around 2:30am).What a nightmare with all the construction and closed this or closed that ,it totally confused the MAPS app.It got to a point where I had to use common sense and go with instincts to get back on track.The whole time with all the different obstacles and variations in the road the EyeSight did its job,even with the adaptive cruise control on.

Like notaclunker said escalate and I would say don’t give up,write/call somebody and eventually you’ll get noticed.Good luck.

Note: I did encounter once during a downpour the Eyesight disabling but it came back on once the rain ceased so I know the feeling.Also it mentions in the manual not to use Rain-X or similar products on the windshield because of the film it leaves,it may impede in the operation of EyeSight.
I use 0000 Fine(est)steel wool you can buy,without water or soap I go over the entire windshield ,blow away any lingering particles and then apply a glass cleaner .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Looks like I will have to escalate. I spent a little time testing eyesight controls while in Park. Reached a point where Eyesight reported back “Eyesight Disabled - See Owners Manual”. That message is supposed to be returned if Anti-collision braking has actuated three times. All the while I was sitting in Park.

·
Administrator
10,945 Posts
Looks like I will have to escalate. I spent a little time testing eyesight controls while in Park. Reached a point where Eyesight reported back “Eyesight Disabled - See Owners Manual”. That message is supposed to be returned if Anti-collision braking has actuated three times. All the while I was sitting in Park.
What Eyesight controls were you playing with?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Was actually in Park at rest stop with engine running after stopping engine, getting out of car and stretching...etc. I started car and started explaining Cruise on/off, Lane minder and distance controls to my wife. Out of nowhere the system returned “Eyesight Disabled - See Owners Manual”. That message comes up if Eyesight records three instances of anti-collision braking according to manual. Hard to reach three instances of collision avoidance braking when you are in Park and not driving.

I’m taking it in Wednesday afternoon, told service manager I could leave it through Friday.

Monday I drive 220 miles to medical appt for wife. I’ll set phone flat with voice memo showing. Push button, record mile market, conditions, if it continues to return false positives (or negatives to some). I’ll be very happy if it magically corrects and I don’t have to record any anomalies.

The Outback was a great car. The Ascent great to, with exception of Eyesight problem. In fact Eyesight is a huge plus and why I go with Subaru. The switch to Ascent from Outback was for a higher point of vision while driving for my wife.

·
Registered
225 Posts
A bit odd. In 6,000 miles and 8 months of driving the same route's mostly I've had eye sight disable once when it was a bit foggy and 3 other times during heavy rain. Even then it would disable itself for a time and then come back when the conditions improved.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey everyone. The other day I was driving and all of a sudden my eyesight system shut off completely when I came to a stop at a stop light. I never had this happen before and I immediately started to worry because the brake light was on too. I pulled into a parking lot and shut off the car. I hoped the warning lights would go away. They didn’t. When I restarted all the lights were there. I started to get worried but I started to check all the controls, brake pedal, vehicle controls, etc. when I got to the emergency brake release something happened. A sunflower seed had somehow gotten into e-brake switch and caused all this. When I pressed the switch the seed flew out from under the flap and all the warning lights turned off. Wouldn’t you know it. A seed caused all this to happen and it’s not something that you could see with everything appearing normal on the exterior. Point is, for some there could be something causing a short in one of the control buttons or switches that is also causing some of the eyesight issues.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Owned an 2017 Outback 2 for years, Eyesight worked flawlessly. The only time I received disabled message was in normal situations: snow, fog or rain. At that I was amazed at how well it worked in those conditions. Bought the Ascent because my wife wanted a higher drivers point of view. Car will be at dealer service 2 1/2 days. I really like my dealer and service manager. I think they will troubleshoot and resolve by end of week.

·
Registered
240 Posts
If its any help as a comparison, my Ascent in 4 months and 3800 miles only deactivated Eyesight twice on the same dark night under really heavy rain. It stayed disabled for about 30 seconds to a minute I would say, and reactivated by itself. I can imagine if it was hard for me to see it probably was for the computer as well, so I'd say that's normal operation.

For the other poster above that got a code about a lose connector: as far as my knowledge goes, a lose connector won't get fixed by a software upgrade, somebody needs to stick his hands and check all connectors. Getting disabled after a bump is to me a clear symptom of a physical issue: a bad cable, lose connector, a bad solder joint in a PCB, etc.
Couldn't agree more on both parts.

My Eyesight has only deactivated under 100% explainable conditions (very heavy rainfall, dirty windshield and sun glare, etc). I am NOT saying that others are not having problems... but rather just to offer some anecdotal evidence that the Eyesight system is not a problem across the entire line.

And I agree completely that this is a hardware problem. And, nobody will likely "find" the loose connector. This will be a matter of having to disconnect the entire infotainment system and reconnect it all.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts

Same here. 7,000 miles and eyesight system stopped working. Extremely frustrating!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts