Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my new Ascent Premium for a week. The blindspot detection works fine. However, Obstacle Detection does not. Nor does the alert when a car has moved a decent distance ahead of you while in traffic. I'm hoping it's an easy fix, and I have an appointment tomorrow at the dealer. I'm disappointed, as Eyesight was one of the selling points over several other brands.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've had my new Ascent Premium for a week. The blindspot detection works fine. However, Obstacle Detection does not. Nor does the alert when a car has moved a decent distance ahead of you while in traffic. I'm hoping it's an easy fix, and I have an appointment tomorrow at the dealer. I'm disappointed, as Eyesight was one of the selling points over several other brands.
Just curious- how have you tested the obstacle detection to conclude it's not working?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just curious- how have you tested the obstacle detection to conclude it's not working?
People cutting me off while driving, someone running in front of my car, and the final test was a sheet tied across the driveway, and I drove at it. Thankfully I'm not relying on it, but I want it to work.

·
Registered
486 Posts
So far, I would have to second the "collision avoidance" is not "working". I have yet to trigger it and I know it should have based upon how it is set on my impreza. The blind spot works, the lane departure works, but this does not. It is turned on, I just wonder if the camera height or something needs fixed.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So far, I would have to second the "collision avoidance" is not "working". I have yet to trigger it and I know it should have based upon how it is set on my impreza. The blind spot works, the lane departure works, but this does not. It is turned on, I just wonder if the camera height or something needs fixed.
Yes, all of that works for me as well. I'm hoping it's an easy fix. I'll report back.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm finding that when I come up fast behind someone in the lane next to me, the blind spot monitoring does not pick up the car as I'm passing. So far, this is the only consistent thing that it missed.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't tried the cruise control yet. I'll have them test it.

I wonder how many other people are having Eyesight issues. I'm hoping the techs can figure things out quickly. I'm getting a loaner, but I'd much prefer my own, and working correctly.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Does adaptive cruise control work?
I've tried this and it certainly works on mine. My wife and I were very nervous trying it out too because we've never experienced anything like it! The Ascent automatically came to a nice complete stop at a red light, behind the car in front of us (and at a safe distance too) from 55mph. We were both very impressed.

The other day I also experienced the crash avoidance in our garage. We have a storage shelf that ends up being about 8 inches from the front corner of the car when it's parked. And as I was pulling in, I guess it thought I was getting to close to the shelf and it would not go any further. I was mashing the gas because it wasn't going anywhere and I thought maybe I wasn't pressing the gas enough or that it was "stuck" going over the little lip in the garage floor. But it eventually flashed the red box in the driver's dash display.

So far everything else appears to be working as it should be too. Hope you get yours straightened out!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've tried this and it certainly works on mine. My wife and I were very nervous trying it out too because we've never experienced anything like it! The Ascent automatically came to a nice complete stop at a red light, behind the car in front of us (and at a safe distance too) from 55mph. We were both very impressed.

The other day I also experienced the crash avoidance in our garage. We have a storage shelf that ends up being about 8 inches from the front corner of the car when it's parked. And as I was pulling in, I guess it thought I was getting to close to the shelf and it would not go any further. I was mashing the gas because it wasn't going anywhere and I thought maybe I wasn't pressing the gas enough or that it was "stuck" going over the little lip in the garage floor. But it eventually flashed the red box in the driver's dash display.

So far everything else appears to be working as it should be too. Hope you get yours straightened out!
Yes, the garage was another give away. It would totally let me charge right in there if I didn't stop it myself. Thank you, I hope they figure it out as well. Otherwise, I love the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, the garage was another give away. It would totally let me charge right in there if I didn't stop it myself. Thank you, I hope they figure it out as well. Otherwise, I love the car.
It doesn't work in the garage. It will let you crash because you are going too slow. Eyesight only works with cars in front of you. Try the cruise control. I think your eyesight is ok

·
Registered
597 Posts

I've had the same issue and had to back out and pull in again. I was amazed that it wouldn't let me move forward at all.

I have only had the crash avoidance activate once with all the times I've pulled in and out of the garage. I'm guessing it has some minimum speed where it turns off so you can pull into spaces and garages. I also have had it come on while driving on the highway twice when a car in front jammed on his breaks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It doesn't work in the garage. It will let you crash because you are going too slow. Eyesight only works with cars in front of you. Try the cruise control. I think your eyesight is ok
I know it's not. Cars slamming on their brakes, cutting in front of me, driving fast at a sheet, and someone running in front of my car tell me it isn't. I'm glad to know about the garage, but otherwise I know it doesn't work.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Are you getting any warning beeps and/or red lights from the assist monitor when accelerating from a stop in traffic. Due to my let's say eager acceleration style mine is always beeping at me. That is typically the warning before automatic braking kicks in and would indicate Eyesight is on and working. I know this is a dumb question but eyesight isn't turned off is it? You'd accomplish this via the button near the rear view mirror and it would display an orange light on the dash near the tach.
I had someone cut me off on the interstate and slam on their brakes (bc they suck) and while I was braking, eyesight though I wasn't braking hard enough and intervened so I know mine is working.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you getting any warning beeps and/or red lights from the assist monitor when accelerating from a stop in traffic. Due to my let's say eager acceleration style mine is always beeping at me. That is typically the warning before automatic braking kicks in and would indicate Eyesight is on and working. I know this is a dumb question but eyesight isn't turned off is it? You'd accomplish this via the button near the rear view mirror and it would display an orange light on the dash near the tach.
I had someone cut me off on the interstate and slam on their brakes (bc they suck) and while I was braking, eyesight though I wasn't braking hard enough and intervened so I know mine is working.
Yes. It's on. I checked with the instructions before testing anything. I get no warning beeps or assistance at any time. I'm sure this needs to be fixed. My only concern now is whether it's an easy one or not.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Yes. It's on. I checked with the instructions before testing anything. I get no warning beeps or assistance at any time. I'm sure this needs to be fixed. My only concern now is whether it's an easy one or not.
I'm not disagreeing with you that there may still be an issue with yours... but maybe it's simply because you're just a very safe driver that you haven't yet reached the threashold (gotten too close to) for the assistance needing to kick in or warn you?

I know with ours that there have been a few times where I felt uncomfortable about the distance of the car/object in front of me and the EyeSight never made a peep. While I felt that it probably should have, it may not have felt the need to help out yet? Maybe because the closing speed/distance wasn't enough to trigger the system?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm not disagreeing with you that there may still be an issue with yours... but maybe it's simply because you're just a very safe driver that you haven't yet reached the threashold (gotten too close to) for the assistance needing to kick in or warn you?

I know with ours that there have been a few times where I felt uncomfortable about the distance of the car/object in front of me and the EyeSight never made a peep. While I felt that it probably should have, it may not have felt the need to help out yet? Maybe because the closing speed/distance wasn't enough to trigger the system?
Like I've said twice before, it may have gotten lost in the shuffle, I set up a sheet and drove at it. Fast. I braked long after the other Subarus I've driven would have alerted. I am a safe driver, so some of the alerts may not have triggered. However, I'm positive there is an issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
cars slamming on the brakes only works in adaptive cruise control mode when set to a far following distance. but if cruise control is off it will only brake in an emergency where you are very close to crashing - previous poster is correct.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Like I've said twice before, it may have gotten lost in the shuffle, I set up a sheet and drove at it. Fast. I braked long after the other Subarus I've driven would have alerted. I am a safe driver, so some of the alerts may not have triggered. However, I'm positive there is an issue.

Driving at a sheet probably isn't the best way to test it...

Here at the dealership we have a big box that we've hung a picture of the back of a car. We let the customer drive at the box and feel it stop. That being said, we had a newer salesman that didn't understand how the eyesight worked. He was turning it off (thinking he was turning it on) before letting the customer drive. They hit the boxes. It was user error.

I'm not saying yours is user error, but in the 5 years of having Eyesight on our cars every eyesight issue I've run across has been user error. People are not getting the proper training of how it works and what to expect.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts