Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else experience this? When a car moves into your lane ahead, eyesight does not pick it up until it's fully in the lane, and will not slow down to let them in. Meanwhile it will allow the car to get dangerously close- for example when you're in a fast moving lane and the other car enters from a slower lane. Seems like a major error? The cameras should be able to see this unfolding.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Anyone else experience this? When a car moves into your lane ahead, eyesight does not pick it up until it's fully in the lane, and will not slow down to let them in. Meanwhile it will allow the car to get dangerously close- for example when you're in a fast moving lane and the other car enters from a slower lane. Seems like a major error? The cameras should be able to see this unfolding.
I've found that moving within your lane toward the side that vehicles are entering from and away from vehicles leaving your lane helps Eyesight keep up with these dynamic situations better.

Eyesight has to process a lot of stuff within it's limited field of view and it doesn't have the benefit of peripheral vision like we do.

I'm always ready to take over especially in heavy traffic because I can see things Eyesight can't.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yes. I learned that early on and I think I mentioned that in an earlier post. I definitely remain alert and poised to take control as needed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I'm alert, but it seems line the kind of thing that is actually in the field of view. The merging car would literally be on a collision course straight ahead. Maybe moving over a bit would help the system "see" it. But it's not great having such random "exceptions"for what eyesight can react to. Doesn't instill a ton of confidence. Also not slowing down isnt really an option, that's the point. We're talking about when cars switch into your lane and not yet up to your speed...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Totally agree and I'm not making excuses for it. It could certainly be better. It seems it's locked on the car in front and doesn't recognize there's a merging vehicle until it's quite far in the lane. Moving toward the merging vehicle will force this to occur sooner than otherwise, but either way, hitting the brakes or moving over, it remains on the driver to take action in a situation where you think the system should work.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
My wife was driving and hates the green light and associated beep. With me in the passenger seat I was able to verbally add another beep at nearly the exact time it came in. It always seems to be when the merging vehicle is about halfway in my lane. She hates that lol
Depending on the gap I agree with @GaryInMI on moving slightly toward the merging vehicle to help eyesight recognize itmore quickly

·
Registered
475 Posts
My wife was driving and hates the green light and associated beep. With me in the passenger seat I was able to verbally add another beep at nearly the exact time it came in. It always seems to be when the merging vehicle is about halfway in my lane. She hates that lol
Depending on the gap I agree with @GaryInMI on moving slightly toward the merging vehicle to help eyesight recognize itmore quickly
FYI both the beep and the green HUD can be disabled in your Combination Meter Settings.

I silenced the beep but keep the green light.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I drive in heavy SF Bay Area traffic where last minute lane changing with zero spacing is a way of life. The Eyesight utterly fails to see the car that is cutting in front of you until it is FULLY in front of you, at which point in heavy traffic, you have to jam on the brakes. Driving with Eyesight is an INVOLVED experience. You have to know when to rely on it, when to disregard it (in the case of lane changers), and when to intervene.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'd rather they first fix the auto braking when a car has departed a lane. On more than one occasion a car far head of me had moved to the left hand turn lane, but the Ascent is still tracking it then decides to slam on the brakes as I get near. This is with well defined lines and everything on the road. Far more dangerous to randomly apply the brakes IMO than to default to a state where a driver is in full control.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I'd rather they first fix the auto braking when a car has departed a lane.
I agree it’s annoying like the fake shifts. I’ve learned to anticipate this auto braking and just override it by applying the gas a little until the little green light blinks or goes off.
Similarly I’ve had pre-collision throttle management prevent me from accelerating when changing lanes. I’ve also learned to get past that point where eyesight still sees that vehicle more quickly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I should clarify this is a problem i am experiencing when using ACC and relying on it to maintain following distance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts