Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently replaced our 2017 Outback with an Ascent Touring. I'm really starting to think that the Eyesight is not working. The Outback would pretty aggressively alert and apply the brakes when cars were slowing in front of me or when pulling into the Garage. When I asked at the delete the expert (who did not know anything out of the basics) said that is much more refined and since the off indicator is not lit and the rear and side detection is working it is on and active.

I am just not comfortable with that answer. I've read the Eyesight manual.... Has anyone else seen a big difference between the 2017 Eyesight and the Ascent? Id there some other setting somewhere that could enable/disable the pre-collision warning and braking?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
What is the sensitivity setting in your vehicle settings for Eyesight? It has multiple modes on the Ascent from very mild (ECO) up to fairly aggressive...

Reactions: RobCompton

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
It works, and does so very well. If you find my YouTube video on car washes, you will see it in action.

·
Registered
920 Posts
My Eyesight is very agressive and has saved my bacon several times. You can "test" it when cars are a stoplight by accelerating towards a stopped car. It should immediately go nuts.

Maybe you need a calibration? Could be the cameras aren't well aligned or maybe on camera is partially blocked.

I love mine and it is very effective. If not working as well for you, get it fixed. Try another dealer if you can if yours isn't helping, or escalate to SOA as they take safety very seriously.

Reactions: RobCompton

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
I believe the 19 ascent and the 17 outback have different generations of eyesight as well dont they? The outback in 3 camera...
Eyesight is two camera, but, for some reason, a certain trim level of Outback got a third camera for auto headlights, instead of using the two bigger Eyesight cameras like the Ascent does.

Regardless, there's definitely programmatic differences due to the higher weight, different brakes, and larger vehicle

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It works, and does so very well. If you find my YouTube video on car washes, you will see it in action.
One thing that also seems off about this is that the Multi-Function display does not have the "EyeSight screen" option when I go through the available displays

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Eyesight is very agressive and has saved my bacon several times. You can "test" it when cars are a stoplight by accelerating towards a stopped car. It should immediately go nuts.

Maybe you need a calibration? Could be the cameras aren't well aligned or maybe on camera is partially blocked.

I love mine and it is very effective. If not working as well for you, get it fixed. Try another dealer if you can if yours isn't helping, or escalate to SOA as they take safety very seriously.
That's how the Outback worked .. If the car in front of me was turning and I got within a cars distance It would beep .. closer and it would brake, I am getting no alerts ..

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
One thing that also seems off about this is that the Multi-Function display does not have the "EyeSight screen" option when I go through the available displays
Then, it's likely off. Press and hold the button on the right of the glasses holder until the system turns on. It looks like this if it's off.

It looks kinda like this if on.

But, if you are talking about the display with the car and lines, that's the Adaptive Cruise Control display. It looks like this, and is only available if you have Adaptive Cruise Control active.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
Edit: Well in just tried what the manual says is Eyesight Status and it's actually the Eyesight Heads Up LEDs not eyesight itself so disregard my advice, sorry.

Rob - You can also check the operating status of Eyesight using the top screen of your Multi Function Display it's called Electronic Component Operating Status. If you look at the vertical line of circles on the left of your display, go up so that the top circle is filled in, that's this screen. Eyesight will be at the top left, the bulls eye looking icon under the time. Press the Enter button to select that and it will go to the Eyesight Status screen and if your car is running, it should say the status is On. You can toggle it Off/On with the ceiling button as Robert described and you should see the status change.

Page 211 of the Owner's Manual.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Eyesight status shows green, but I am not getting any alerts.. I have a big empty cardboard box here .. when the rain stops I think I'll give it the crash test :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Then, it's likely off. Press and hold the button on the right of the glasses holder until the system turns on. It looks like this if it's off.
View attachment 439

It looks kinda like this if on.
View attachment 440

But, if you are talking about the display with the car and lines, that's the Adaptive Cruise Control display. It looks like this, and is only available if you have Adaptive Cruise Control active.
View attachment 441
I don't see any lines in the front of car image, but the eyesight icon is lit up. Is something still not on? Maybe the front lines only show up when the system is active (over 7 mph I think I read).

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
No, it's fine then. Sorry, the lines are on the Touring and represent the front camera.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Robert,
Thanks for clarifying. I have a Limited. For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure mine is working- though I haven't had the nerve to test beyond the warning stage.

From this discussion and what I gather from the manuals, there isn't a positive affirmation that pre-collision braking is active, unless it is hidden in a diagnostic screen somewhere. Of course, there is the indication showing when you turn it off.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Robert,
Thanks for clarifying. I have a Limited. For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure mine is working- though I haven't had the nerve to test beyond the warning stage.

From this discussion and what I gather from the manuals, there isn't a positive affirmation that pre-collision braking is active, unless it is hidden in a diagnostic screen somewhere. Of course, there is the indication showing when you turn it off.
There's a negative affirmation. If you turn it off, you will have a bright yellow warning light on the left side of your dash.

·
Banned
85 Posts
Interesting this topic came up. I am wondering the same thing about my system. First week I had the car a vehicle turned in front of me and the warning appeared. Vehicle was moving fast enough when it crossed my lane that the brakes did not engage nor did I have to brake. Yesterday on the same road traveling basically same speed another vehicle did same thing. System never gave warning and the car cleared before I had to brake and this car was actually closer than the first one. I came home started looking through the manual to see if the system has a sensitivity level to be adjusted.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts