Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gang,

I ran across this article which mentions that the Eyesight system may already be recording (like a dashcam) on a 22 second loop. It cites the SoA communications director Dominick Infante as the source of the information!

I'm curious if anyone had requested the footage or has any experience with this to back this up or refute it.

ARTICLE LINK to cars.com

Thanks!
Scoobydude

·
Registered
824 Posts
Was not aware of this,now I know.Subaru’s way of covering their butts.Thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Photon - Yep...found it now! Page 7 of the EyeSight manual:

Not clear to me how you might get the data yourself, but I suspect a written request to Subaru of America should do. Sounds like it only records & stores this when the Pre-Collision Braking System kicks in, so I don't think there is a way to grab the data unless that kicked on. My guess is that is the trigger whereby they save off the buffer data into a record and maybe even send it in to SoA?

·
Registered
38 Posts
@Photon - Yep...found it now! Page 7 of the EyeSight manual:
View attachment 2066

Not clear to me how you might get the data yourself, but I suspect a written request to Subaru of America should do. Sounds like it only records & stores this when the Pre-Collision Braking System kicks in, so I don't think there is a way to grab the data unless that kicked on. My guess is that is the trigger whereby they save off the buffer data into a record and maybe even send it in to SoA?
My pre collision braking is always kicking in. I'm either a terrible driver in regards to Subaru's standards or the system is super sensitive

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
My pre collision braking is always kicking in. I'm either a terrible driver in regards to Subaru's standards or the system is super sensitive
It isn't super sensitive. You can always have it checked out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
L.A driving is tedious at best. I think it's mostly stop and go traffic. But it does get pushy if it doesnt think you are going to stop in time. Usually just as I'm going to take my foot off the acceleration, it will alarm. Not brake for me but notify of obstruction with those 3 red dots and the beeping.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I only had it kick in a couple of times and for the most part it was warranted (I had everything under control but the system did not know this). I would rather have the system react when it is that close than not. One time it kicked in while backing up in my driveway because it thought a divit was an obstacle (if I proceed slow enough at that point it will allow me to proceed). In any case, my system is not too sensitive. I tend to leave plenty of space to the vehicle in front of me (regardless of my travel speed). I get to my destination in the same time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By the way, I wrote SoA to ask how I could request the data myself...here's the reply...as unsatisfying as it is:

Thank you for contacting Subaru of America, Inc. We appreciate you taking time out of your day to contact us.

Current Subaru vehicles come equipped with Event Data Recorders (EDR). What you are mentioning would be considered part of this function.

Special equipment is required to read the EDR data. In addition to the vehicle manufacturer, other parties, such as law enforcement, that have the necessary equipment, can read the information if they have access to the vehicle EDR as part of a crash investigation

If you have further questions about the EDR system in your vehicle, please talk with your Subaru retailer service department.

Thanks for the opportunity to be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Grant Noble
Subaru of America, Inc.
Customer/Retailer Services Department
1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)

·
Super Moderator
2,457 Posts
Maybe someday we’ll all get a TeslaCam-type system in the car. Your dealer can pull a good amount of data about what the various systems are doing at any given time. I’m not sure how long that data is stored but it’s at least several days worth of driving data.

fwiw the manual says it’s records image data from the stereo cameras. That doesn’t necessarily mean it produces a usable image like a dash cam does.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@xydadx3 - From everything I have read, the cameras are now full color, standard optical cameras. I work for a company that makes chips for these kinds of systems, so that is consistent with what I would expect as well.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Maybe someday we’ll all get a TeslaCam-type system in the car. Your dealer can pull a good amount of data about what the various systems are doing at any given time. I’m not sure how long that data is stored but it’s at least several days worth of driving data.

fwiw the manual says it’s records image data from the stereo cameras. That doesn’t necessarily mean it produces a usable image like a dash cam does.
@xydadx3 - From everything I have read, the cameras are now full color, standard optical cameras. I work for a company that makes chips for these kinds of systems, so that is consistent with what I would expect as well.
Yes, "full color 3D stereoscopic cameras" in all modern Eyesight systems. They're also higher resolution than previous versions.

Image processing uses the parallax effect, point recognition, point contrast detection and other methods to detect object shapes, and then identify them in one fashion or another.

I am neither confirming or denying that any of the methods in the video below are employed by Subaru, nor admitting to knowing or not knowing some of the behind the scenes details, but this video can give you a general idea of how such systems can work, which also explains why lack of tint, no hydrophobic coatings, and so on, are so importan.

·
Super Moderator
2,457 Posts
Interesting video. Thanks @Robert.Mauro
I guess what I was getting at is do the cameras ever output a jpeg, mp4 or other usable format image or video, or are they constantly just analyzing the raw data? If just raw data, that would explain some of the “special equipment” required to read the data. Is an SD card slot on the EyeSight housing too much to ask for? ?

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,126 Posts
I am not an Ascent owner but shopping three row suv's and the Ascent is a top contender. Just wondering if the stereo cameras feeding the Eyesight system also provide the 180-Degree Front-View Monitor for the Touring or if the Touring used additional cameras for the front view. If it uses the Eyesight cameras, you have the answer that the cameras produce a usable visualization, not just a data steam.

Personally, I'd install front and rear cameras. My Aukey with a 64gb card records over 12 hours of 1080 full HD with 170° field. The Aukey has a g-force sensor and automatically saves about 15 seconds prior to triggering. Very easy to edit the mpg files. I have witnessed a couple of traffic skirmishes and provided video to the highway patrol.

·
Super Moderator
2,457 Posts
Just wondering if the stereo cameras feeding the Eyesight system also provide the 180-Degree Front-View Monitor for the Touring or if the Touring used additional cameras for the front view.
the touring uses a single separate camera mounted in the front grille.mounting it there means the hood isn’t in the way.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FWIW -
I did some additional poking around and seems like the consensus is that the data is downloadable with the Denso DST-i scan tool running Subaru's Select Monitor IV firmware. These types of scan tools are pretty pricey (think thousands), but most dealers would have them on site.

See the EDR Summit Presentation by Richard Ruth

The "magic" is in the SW I'm sure, not the tool itself. I'm betting you just need a standard ODBII interface of some kind, but it has to hook up to the right SW (here's where the $$ is) to give you access to the data. There could also be all kinds of other protections there, but that's how the data is accessed. Doesn't seem worth my while for only 22 seconds of footage that's maybe only recorded in case of accident, but guess it depends on the accident and what's at stake.

Due for 12k service soon, so maybe I'll ask while there...dunno.

Have fun and be safe out there folks!

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Yes, there's an actual protocol behind it that's different than standard OBD-II and ELM. Older versions are online, but I know don't support many of the newer functions.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.