Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 2019 ascent for over a year. Yesterday the eye sight kept turning off and on constantly. I cleaned the windshield in and out but it is still doing it.
I called the dealer they told me it is prob because the lines on the road are faded. I have the lane assist turned off and have been driving the same roads for over a year.
Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,180 Posts
EyeSight, itself, doesn't care about lines on the road, per se, and a road with no lines shouldn't turn it off. If the system is repeatedly cycling off and on, it needs to be checked by dealer service.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I have had my 2019 ascent for over a year. Yesterday the eye sight kept turning off and on constantly. I cleaned the windshield in and out but it is still doing it.
I called the dealer they told me it is prob because the lines on the road are faded. I have the lane assist turned off and have been driving the same roads for over a year.
Faded road lines, a streaked windshield, rain, snow, fog, etc. can all affect EyeSight from working. If none of this is the case and EyeSight seems to turn off for no reason, make an appointment with the dealer to have the calibration and operation checked. That is the only thing you can do since there is nothing you can adjust yourself.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Check the windshield for any cracks especially in front of the eyesite cameras. If there is nothing blocking the cameras then there is an issue. The eye site usually only completely turns off in really bad weather like fog or heavy rain.

·
Registered
561 Posts
EyeSight, itself, doesn't care about lines on the road, per se, and a road with no lines shouldn't turn it off. If the system is repeatedly cycling off and on, it needs to be checked by dealer service.
My experience is different. When driving snow covered roads, where there are no lines due to the snow, the eye site turns off. When asked, my dealer's service department told me that eye site needs to know where the edges of the road are. If it can't determine that, it turns off.
Another time it turns off is when sun is directly in eye site's 'eyes'. Again, the eyesite can not see the road, so it turns off then back on again once it's able to detect the road surface. The lines are primary to it's ability to 'see' the road and it's limits.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Driving on narrow roads with no lines, narrow roads with only center lines, and in snow covered roads with no visible lanes, the only time Eyesight has turned off for me was when the view of the cameras was obscured by very heavy rain or snow on the windshield.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,180 Posts
None of the rural roads around here have painted lines to delineate the edge of the road...perhaps it sees the grass as a line. I don't know... The only time I've had EyeSight disable itself while driving has been in, um...driving rain. Which makes sense optically.

Reactions: RobertD

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,260 Posts
It's not clear what folks mean when they say "EyeSight turned off". For those who have experienced that, do you mean certain features of it have become disabled? Many of our rural roads don't have lines, so it'd be pretty apparent pretty quickly if the entire system just "turns off" (it hasn't done that for me). Sure, it'll disable lane keep assist if you're trying to use that function and there are no lines. And it'll disable all forward-looking systems (like lane keep assist and adaptive cruise control) if it's raining so hard that it can't see ahead. But I've never had the complete system just decide to turn off, especially due to faded or missing lane markers.

The OP stated that he or she has been driving the same roads with faded lane markers for years, presumably with no problems (and there shouldn't be any due to that). But it sounds like the system has started to blink out only recently. It sounds more like a system malfunction than something caused by the driving environment.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you recently add a front hood spoiler, or something that projects up above the line-of-sight? They are not recommended because they interfere with Eye Sight

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah, i think it might be just the lane keep assist. Mine does that all the time on roads that have construction or missing partial lines. That doesn't mean Eyesight is off.
OP please post the exact error message you are seeing.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
video record the trip from the time it is on to the time the messages show up indicating it is off. Post it and show it to dealer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The camera lenses can fog shutting off the eyesight in certain conditions of temperature or humidity , cracking a window or turning on the defroster will relieve it in a couple minutes . I have experienced this a few times , sadly this also shuts down your cruise control until reversed

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
The camera lenses can fog shutting off the eyesight in certain conditions of temperature or humidity , cracking a window or turning on the defroster will relieve it in a couple minutes . I have experienced this a few times , sadly this also shuts down your cruise control until reversed
it would only shut off the adaptive cruise control, not the standard cruise control.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Trust the Subaru dealership service dept when you have questions like this. My wife recently have been coming to the same intersection but this time we are having bright sunlight in the mornings here lately. So, the eyesight with a line in the middle would pop up on the main screen. There is absolutely nothing wrong since we recently got our 2020 Ascent on the 4th of July. My wife is still getting used to all the safety technology that comes with the vehicle. Eyesight will go off when there is excessive sunlight and heavy rain because it cannot spot the painted lines in the road.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts