Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are driving back over Mt Hood at 8:30pm. It’s snowing pretty good. There is no traffic in the opposite direction. Out of nowhere the eye sight and the side visual assist turns off along with the high beams on our head lights. Does anyone have any idea why? The high beams will not stay on so we can see the road more clearly. It randomly comes back on for brief periods of time and then goes back off. Does anyone have any ideas why?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Eyesight doesn’t work in heavy weather. Rain n snow will mess with it. If you had the auto-brights enabled, that’s the same thing. Gotta go old-school with all that stuff in inclement weather.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Do you have your headlights set to auto? If so, switch them to “on” and you should then be able to switch the highbeams on by pressing the stalk forward.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eyesight doesn’t work in heavy weather. Rain n snow will mess with it. If you had the auto-brights enabled, that’s the same thing. Gotta go old-school with all that stuff in inclement weather.
Thank you. That’s pretty much what I figured. We did have the auto brights on. Makes sense! Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. That’s pretty much what I figured. We did have the auto brights on. Makes sense! Thanks for the reply.
We never thought to turn the lights from auto to the on position. We will remember to do that in the future. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
629 Posts
The word is you can have the dealer disable auto brights when in auto mode. I'll be doing this on the next visit.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
If you have fog lights turned on your trim model, your brights will turn off ad well. In heavy snow storm it is safer to drive with lights shining low to the ground and not reflecting off the falling snow.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Keep in mind that Eyesight needs to be able to discern certain road patterns in order to function, including the road lines. Heavy weather, especially snow can understandably interfere with that so it's designed to automatically shut off in those instances as a safety precaution. That's normal and nothing to be concerned about.

In the auto mode, my high beams will often shut off when I go slow. I don't know exactly what their thinking is on that.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
The word is you can have the dealer disable auto brights when in auto mode. I'll be doing this on the next visit.
You can disable them yourself merely by pulling the stalk toward you lightly until it "clicks". In the rear position (toward the driver) the brights will not come on. Auto lighting still functions normally. And that's true for most vehicles with auto lighting features. (Pulling the stalk all the way to you will manually light the brights until you let go)

-----

OP, Eyesight disengages for any kind of weather that disrupts vision beyond a certain amount....rain, sleet, snow, low visibility, etc. It's generally not safe to be using things like cruise control in those conditions anyway (even radar based) and note that auto collision avoidance braking is also disabled at that time. Once conditions improve, the system returns to ready and you can then use the Eyesight features you desire.

Reactions: kathytn

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
629 Posts
You can disable them yourself merely by pulling the stalk toward you lightly until it "clicks". In the rear position (toward the driver) the brights will not come on. Auto lighting still functions normally. And that's true for most vehicles with auto lighting features. (Pulling the stalk all the way to you will manually light the brights until you let go)

-----

OP, Eyesight disengages for any kind of weather that disrupts vision beyond a certain amount....rain, sleet, snow, low visibility, etc. It's generally not safe to be using things like cruise control in those conditions anyway (even radar based) and note that auto collision avoidance braking is also disabled at that time. Once conditions improve, the system returns to ready and you can then use the Eyesight features you desire.
You can't force the brights on while in auto mode without hold the stalk continuously, which is not practical by any means.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
...In the auto mode, my high beams will often shut off when I go slow. I don't know exactly what their thinking is on that.
My previous vehicle, a Lexus, did that below 15mph, which I found counterproductive and annoying.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
You can't force the brights on while in auto mode without hold the stalk continuously, which is not practical by any means.
I believe that's consistent with what I said above... ;)

Reactions: Robert.Mauro
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.