Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So living in the Northern Valley of North Dakota we have been experiencing temps in the -20 F range. Has anyone had issues in the past with eyesight failing due to cold temperatures affecting the electronic components? The vehicle did start in the weather with the automatic start function of the Subaru Link but after the 10-minute run time starting the vehicle while in the car resulting in alarming electronic functions. My biggest concerns are if the vehicle is still safe to drive with all of the eyesight features being disabled? The vehicle seems to run fine with only a noticed stress on the interior lights that I can only think might be poor battery performance due to the cold weather. I can't seem to find out how to check the voltage reading on the display screens so I'm just guessing since car batteries and cold weather don't mix well. I cannot bring the vehicle to a dealer for a few days, so I decided to see what other owners have experienced to help in the immediate time.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
So living in the Northern Valley of North Dakota we have been experiencing temps in the -20 F range. Has anyone had issues in the past with eyesight failing due to cold temperatures affecting the electronic components? The vehicle did start in the weather with the automatic start function of the Subaru Link but after the 10-minute run time starting the vehicle while in the car resulting in alarming electronic functions. My biggest concerns are if the vehicle is still safe to drive with all of the eyesight features being disabled? The vehicle seems to run fine with only a noticed stress on the interior lights that I can only think might be poor battery performance due to the cold weather. I can't seem to find out how to check the voltage reading on the display screens so I'm just guessing since car batteries and cold weather don't mix well. I cannot bring the vehicle to a dealer for a few days, so I decided to see what other owners have experienced to help in the immediate time.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
730 Posts
Safe to drive without eyesight, no different than being in a heavy rain storm. Just remember you do t have those bonus safety features :)

·
Administrator
11,373 Posts
Hi, yes, that's expected. You can find it in your Eyesight manual.

Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot Number Document

The easiest way to use the manuals are to download the electronic versions.

Here's the link to 2020. Everyone can change the model year for your specific year. They're all searchable with any standard PDF viewer on phone or computer.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Does weather ever contribute to Eyesight being disabled? I was recently on a road trip and got an Eyesight disabled message for about 10-15 minutes in heavy rain? Prior to that, we had been driving 3.5 hours or so in periodic light rain.

Just saw Robert's post above, temperature wise it was about 45 degrees outside and 68ish (climate control), so we've been in colder temps and not had that happen. It was night time so no exposure to sunlight, but again, interior temp wasn't high.

·
Administrator
11,373 Posts
Does weather ever contribute to Eyesight being disabled? I was recently on a road trip and got an Eyesight disabled message for about 10-15 minutes in heavy rain? Prior to that, we had been driving 3.5 hours or so in periodic light rain.

Just saw Robert's post above, temperature wise it was about 45 degrees outside and 68ish (climate control), so we've been in colder temps and not had that happen. It was night time so no exposure to sunlight, but again, interior temp wasn't high.
I think I haven't seen the issue until the negative digits (or maybe 8°F).

·
Registered
38 Posts
The eyesight system will be disabled when the car is left in low temperature for extended amount of time. I had been parking my Ascent outside this winter and any temperature that is below -15°C (5°F) is enough to disable the system. However, the system will be reactivated once the system is warmed up. From my experience, the best way is to turn the front defrost on so the warm air can reach the eyesight module faster.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,549 Posts
Does weather ever contribute to Eyesight being disabled? I was recently on a road trip and got an Eyesight disabled message for about 10-15 minutes in heavy rain?
Normal...heavy rain blocks good vision of what's ahead, so the system temporarily disables until the precipitation eases to where normal wiper motion provides an adequate view for the cameras to see objects, distance, etc.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Normal...heavy rain blocks good vision of what's ahead, so the system temporarily disables until the precipitation eases to where normal wiper motion provides an adequate view for the cameras to see objects, distance, etc.
Another annoying thing in winter is if it is too cold, other cars exhaust gas may interupt the eyesight cameras view which will disable the system as well.

·
Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
273 Posts
Absolutely. The cameras are just that, cameras, they're not magical and they have physical limitations. I have had EyeSight disable itself under 2 conditions. One is torrential rain, the other is bright, low-angled sun, worst (in my experience at least) on sunny winter days. For better or worse, if you have a hard time seeing, so does EyeSight.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Absolutely. The cameras are just that, cameras, they're not magical and they have physical limitations. I have had EyeSight disable itself under 2 conditions. One is torrential rain, the other is bright, low-angled sun, worst (in my experience at least) on sunny winter days. For better or worse, if you have a hard time seeing, so does EyeSight.
another reason to look forward to eyesight X

·
Registered
227 Posts
Are you also getting a check engine light when this happens? There is an issue with cold weather and the Ascent with the throttle return spring not returning/closing when you shutoff the car in subzero weather. On the next start the spring needs to finish the return and then start the car. The ECM sees this as a long crank and stores a fault code resulting in a check engine and disabled eyesight. There is TSB for this and an ECM update to make it a non-issue in the future. Just my 2 cents since it happened to me on Friday.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You can turn on conventional cruise control with the auto one won't work. Hold the upper distance following button until it shows. I find this helpful in fog or heavy snow.

·
Registered
133 Posts
@Jeff One should never use any cruise control in fog or heavy snow :unsure: You need to hold both upper and lower distance buttons at the same time to go to regular cruise.

We haven't seen subzero temps yet, but no issues in temps at 3,4,5,6F

·
Registered
61 Posts
-24 C in Montreal today. My EyeSight showed "EyeSight Off. Temp range" message and was like this for 10-15 min until it got warmer inside.
Windows defrost probably is the fastest way to get it back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts