Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been going back and forth on installing a dash-cam in my 2020 Touring; however, one of the big drawbacks (for me) is having to break up the aesthetics with an aftermarket camera. Although since I'm mainly looking for something that would record while the vehicle is off/unattended, the three OEM cameras (front, rear B/U, rear "mirror") might be an acceptable compromise.

Does anyone know of a company that makes an aftermarket DVR system - whether Subaru-compatible or not - that is designed to essentially tap into the OEM cameras and record the feed?

-or-

Do in-vehicle cameras typically output a standardized signal (HDMI, composite, RGB, etc.) or is it proprietary? (In other words, if I could manually switch the cameras on while the vehicle is off, could I splice into the video cable(s) and get a usable signal?)

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I have been going back and forth on installing a dash-cam in my 2020 Touring; however, one of the big drawbacks (for me) is having to break up the aesthetics with an aftermarket camera. Although since I'm mainly looking for something that would record while the vehicle is off/unattended, the three OEM cameras (front, rear B/U, rear "mirror") might be an acceptable compromise.

Does anyone know of a company that makes an aftermarket DVR system - whether Subaru-compatible or not - that is designed to essentially tap into the OEM cameras and record the feed?

-or-

Do in-vehicle cameras typically output a standardized signal (HDMI, composite, RGB, etc.) or is it proprietary? (In other words, if I could manually switch the cameras on while the vehicle is off, could I splice into the video cable(s) and get a usable signal?)
Vehicle cameras typically use either a standard RCA type composite analog video signal or a digital USB based signal, the same used for web cameras.

If the signals were analog composite, you might be able to use a Multi-Port RCA Composite Video Audio DC Powered Splitter Box. For a USB protocol, maybe a USB switch/hub might work.

For my dashcam project, where I wanted several USB cameras to be used, I simply wired them into a switch. This worked well and I use it every day. I have a front dashcam, rear dashcam, and front/rear observation cams.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
We sadly have a multi-pin connector, but the pinouts are located someplace in this forum. You'd have to splice into the harness. AFAIK, it's composite video.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It is composite. I was able to tap the wires and display it on an old TV as a test.
I have the 6.5" head unit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.