Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Have an Ascent Touring on order and it should be here in the next 3 weeks. The accessories I ordered have already been installed at the port. I decided not to get the auto-dimming side-view mirrors with approach light because, I thought, the Touring trim levels already had auto-dimming side-view mirrors. I know the rear view mirror is auto-dimming, however, I think I may have erred in thinking the only difference was the approach light, but now I am starting to believe that the Touring doesn't have the auto-dimming side-view mirrors at all. Can I get confirmation of this from someone?

Thanks!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I had to order those separately, they don't come standard on the Touring. They don't come standard on any trim - not sure why. I believe the approach lights and auto-dimming mirrors are a package.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had to order those separately, they don't come standard on the Touring. They don't come standard on any trim - not sure why. I believe the approach lights and auto-dimming mirrors are a package.
This is what I have concluded. Fortunately, the auto-dimming mirror kit doesn't require opening up the door panel. Essentially, you pop off the mirror and replace it with the new one; there's already wiring there for the auto-dimming feature. Of course, I will just pay the dealer to do that work to ensure it is covered under warranty. Oh well! :)

Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am having difficulty determining if my auto dimming/approach warning side mirrors are working. My wife does not think they are. Is there a surefire test???? having trouble finding info of exactly what the warning is, and how that is different from the blind spot warning light.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
How Auto Dimming, blind spot detection, cross traffic, etc, works

I am having difficulty determining if my auto dimming/approach warning side mirrors are working. My wife does not think they are. Is there a surefire test???? having trouble finding info of exactly what the warning is, and how that is different from the blind spot warning light.
Hi, these are separate functions, so, I will cover each separately... let me know if you have any questions...

Auto-dimming side mirrors with approach lighting:
These are controlled by the button on the rear view mirror. It's generally the right most button. WHEN you press it, you will see a symbol showing a half shaded mirror and the word "ON" or "OFF" on the rear view when you press the button. That will indicate the auto-dim state.

IF the sensors pick up bright lights, the mirrors will get darker and tint slightly green-ish when the auto-dim feature activates. You can tell it's active, because on all mirrors, there will be a thin ring of non-dimmed mirror (the outside edge). Otherwise, the mirrors will act normally. Also, all auto-dimming mirrors take a second or two to fully dim.

On vehicles with only auto-dimming rear view mirrors, the same applies but the side mirrors will obviously not dim when the button is pressed.

Blind spot/approach/etc:
Approach Lighting:
There is approach lighting, which may be what you're confused over. In the event someone has that installed, as you do, when someone approaches the vehicle with the FOB on their person, the Ascent detects the FOB and turns on the approach lighting and interior lighting (unless the function is disabled in the settings in the head unit). The tiny Subaru emblems in the side view mirrors hide bright LEDs that light up the ground around the door, as well as illuminate the door handle.

Blind Spot Detection (lane change related):
Unlike various older Subarus and various other cars, The Ascent uses radar for blind spot detection. It does not respond the same as other systems that use sonar only. Because it can detect approaching cars that are much farther away, Subaru implemented a smart system that actually estimates if you have enough time and clearance to change lanes.

So, let's say you're doing 60mph on the highway, and the car 500 feet behind you in the left lane is doing 65mph. It's not much of a speed distance, and the other car will slowly crawl up on you. Your Ascent will trigger the blind spot warning (yellow LED on the side of the appropriate mirror - in this case, the left one) when the distance between you and car in the left lane no longer allows safely changing lanes.

Now, let's say you're doing 60mph, and they're doing 90mph. The blind spot detection light will come on while they're a LOT farther away. Your Ascent will see them flying up on you and know that the safe distance to change into their lane needs to be a lot bigger (farther away) and warn you a lot earlier.

In either scenario, if it detects a vehicle that's too close for you to cut in front of while changing lanes, the LED will turn solid yellow. In the event you turn the blinker on in that direction, it will "angry flash" at you (flash really quickly to try to get your attention.

The two radar units (one behind each corner of the bumper cover, roughly in line (height wise) with the license plate) can see very far behind you on either side, as well as partially to the sides. You cannot see these sensors, but they are there.

Blind Spot Detection (REVERSE CROSS TRAFFIC RELATED):
The same radar sensors, as well as the sonar sensors (four in the bumper, in the black "carbon fiber" part) are also used for rear cross traffic and rear obstacle detection for when the car is in reverse. These you can see, and they look just like any other "parking sensor".

In the event the sonar system detects something behind you, it will show it to you on the screen by drawing boxes over parts of the object. The color changes from green to yellow to red, depending on distance. At some point (when in the red), it will emergency brake the car. There is an audible alert that goes with this as well.

In the event the radar system detects cross traffic, the LED on the appropriate mirror (eg: left mirror if the traffic is coming from the left) will "angry flash" at you, and you'll see the rear cross traffic alert on the LCD screen.

Other Notes:
The reverse automatic braking feature has an audio alert for both functions (as well as the visual alerts I outlined above). The blind spot detection only has the visual alerts of solid yellow warning light or (if you turn the relevant blinker on) angry flashing yellow warning light.

If I missed something or you have any more questions, please let me know.

·
Registered
62 Posts
perfect..and much better explained than in the Manuel. the approach/key fob function must be turned off at the head unit. so that is my next question. wife is currently out with the car so I cannot refer to the manual. thank you so much for the info!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
perfect..and much better explained than in the Manuel. the approach/key fob function must be turned off at the head unit. so that is my next question. wife is currently out with the car so I cannot refer to the manual. thank you so much for the info!
I have these mirrors and I haven't messed with any settings for them. I need to look at any features that work with approaching/leaving the car. I know my wife's Mazda has these settings.

I'll probably do a little light reading as the work day winds down. In case you get bored...

https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/doc/ownerManual/MSA5M1900B_STIS.pdf

The beauty of an electronic copy is that you can ctrl-F to search for key words.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think in Canadian version of Ascents this comes pre-installed with models from Limited and above. Please see the link below, when I tried to add the accessories in the Limited section I don't have these, but the lower models have, which seems to confirm the idea had Canadian versions have these pre-installed. ( note in Canadian Touring = US Premium and Canadian Premier (top model) = US Touring). Please correct me if I am wrong, I wanted this because I felt the need from experience. I thought its free with Limited trim in Canada. Hopefully I'm right!

https://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?...=21840&Range=Ascent&ModelYear=2019&CarID=1106

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
On all Canadian trims except "base"

I think in Canadian version of Ascents this comes pre-installed with models from Limited and above. Please see the link below, when I tried to add the accessories in the Limited section I don't have these, but the lower models have, which seems to confirm the idea had Canadian versions have these pre-installed. ( note in Canadian Touring = US Premium and Canadian Premier (top model) = US Touring). Please correct me if I am wrong, I wanted this because I felt the need from experience. I thought its free with Limited trim in Canada. Hopefully I'm right!

https://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?...=21840&Range=Ascent&ModelYear=2019&CarID=1106
Correct. Reverse automatic braking and blind spot detection and auto dimming side mirrors with approach lighting comes standard on all Canadian trim levels except the base trim (called "Convenience" in your market). At least in the Ontario market. I didn't switch markets and check them all.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mr Mauro, if you could assist me..I am technologically challenged to say the least. If I understood your directions clearly, THE APPROACH LIGHTS built into the side mirrors that I ordered, should illuminate the ground and door handle, upon detection of the key fob. Does this happen from 2 or three feet away, automatically? Does it only happen if we press the unlock button on the key fob? or do we have to have our hand touching the actual door handle with the key fob in our pocket? sorry to bother you..PS found out the wife was turning the auto dimming feature off by accidentally hitting that far right button every time she adjusted the rear view mirror...any and all help is appreciated .thank you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've installed one myself on my limited, IF your door is locked and you approach the car (the key is with you not pressing the unlock button) like 2-3 feet away it will automatically illuminate the door handle and some on the ground (depending on how high your mirrors are angled) no need to touch the door handle, IF you have the doors unlocked it won't illuminate until you physically open a door (any door). and will remain on until you close the door and whatever settings you have for the interior lightning time out is.

Reactions: dennis boone

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Mr Mauro, if you could assist me..I am technologically challenged to say the least. If I understood your directions clearly, THE APPROACH LIGHTS built into the side mirrors that I ordered, should illuminate the ground and door handle, upon detection of the key fob. Does this happen from 2 or three feet away, automatically? Does it only happen if we press the unlock button on the key fob? or do we have to have our hand touching the actual door handle with the key fob in our pocket? sorry to bother you..PS found out the wife was turning the auto dimming feature off by accidentally hitting that far right button every time she adjusted the rear view mirror...any and all help is appreciated .thank you.
I'll make a video showing how it works... but only if you call me Rob or Robert. I hate being called Mr. Mauro. ?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks Rob but between the two of you, I now have figured out the mirrors, and they are working. This site has been a Godsend to me. It has saved me thousands of dollars, has given me great ideas and advice, and has taught me things about My Ascent that the manual didn't cover. Thanks to all! worth the wait!!

·
Registered
932 Posts
I'm surprised the Blind Spot doesn't have an audible option.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
I'm surprised the Blind Spot doesn't have an audible option.
There was mention someplace about that causing more accidents because people stopped looking.

·
Registered
14 Posts

What is the cost for these mirrors? Can I install them myself, or would I need to take it to my dealer? TIA!

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts

What is the cost for these mirrors? Can I install them myself, or would I need to take it to my dealer? TIA!
I can't get you the instructions right now, but they are not too difficult to install. The wiring is usually behind the old mirror.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts