Subaru Ascent Forum banner

801 - 820 of 831 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
62 Posts
I think it is hilarious to hear all the twisting the dealer reps go through to justify their gold plus pricing. The bottom line is that while the gold plus is more robust than the original warranty it startingpoint is the same date. Nothing changes Subaru's exposure if the associate drove the vehicle for one month, nor does it impact your coverage. They just wanted to make a sale which is fine.
The starting date of the warranty is activated by the first insured date. Since the vehicle was insured so it could be driven for more than test drives with a dealer plate, that’s when the warranty begins. This is the rule here, not sure if it’s different elsewhere. Anyways, I had planned on getting extended warranty and was pleased with the amount they took off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just start calling dealerships for quotes, negotiate and take the lowest price. I just got my gold plus 10/100000 zero deductible for $1970. My 2019 Limited has 30,000 miles so it doesn't need to be purchased at the time of vehicle delivery. I had quotes for that plan as high as $3700. I am in Colorado and purchased the gold plus from a dealership that I do not go to for service, nor did I purchase the vehicle there.
My point is, I don't know what dealerships are within my "region." If I know my boundaries, I can do an assessment of the dealerships based on their locations and start with those that my [personal, not scientific] algorithm point me to as most likely to deal. I don't have time to call 50 or 60 dealerships. I have a lower end number in mind based on this thread, and will shop till I find someone willing to sell it to me for that.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
My point is, I don't know what dealerships are within my "region." If I know my boundaries, I can do an assessment of the dealerships based on their locations and start with those that my [personal, not scientific] algorithm point me to as most likely to deal. I don't have time to call 50 or 60 dealerships. I have a lower end number in mind based on this thread, and will shop till I find someone willing to sell it to me for that.
I suggest you start with those dealerships that are within reasonable driving distance. If someone offers you a good price take it. If they do not then keep branching out. Every "region" will be defined differently depending on the dealership density. My deal was with a dealership that was over four hours away despite the fact there are many dealerships much closer. I did not hide where I lived and they were willing to deal so I dealt.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
The starting date of the warranty is activated by the first insured date. Since the vehicle was insured so it could be driven for more than test drives with a dealer plate, that’s when the warranty begins. This is the rule here, not sure if it’s different elsewhere. Anyways, I had planned on getting extended warranty and was pleased with the amount they took off.
the very definition of a contract

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
62 Posts
the very definition of
Sorry, not sure the point you’re making? Obviously it’s a contract. I was just explaining how my experience went and why. In my city we only have 2 Subaru dealerships and it’s the same owner just different locations. There is no shopping around for a better deal. Any third party coverage is rediculously priced. I’m content with the discount given.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Sorry, not sure the point you’re making? Obviously it’s a contract. I was just explaining how my experience went and why. In my city we only have 2 Subaru dealerships and it’s the same owner just different locations. There is no shopping around for a better deal. Any third party coverage is rediculously priced. I’m content with the discount given.
my point was simply that a contract is the meeting of minds ("I’m content with the discount given"). If you and seller are content with the price and the product offering than a contract is formed. BTW, a "region " may not be defined by simply the city. I live in Denver. I can drive 20 minutes to about five Subaru dealerships. I can drive 1 hour to many more and I expect they are all in my "region" I bought my plan from a dealership 4 hours drive away. I do not know the dealership distribution where you live but I would not throw in the consumer towel based on the two same owned dealerships. On the other hand if the local dealership is offering a good price that you are comfortable with (as you stated), your time is important as well so you can certainly stop there.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
62 Posts
There are no Subaru dealerships within 4 hrs, not sure just how far away the next closest one is but it’s certainly out of province. But yes, the dealership here is fair with pricing despite being the only game in town. They know folks here will just buy a different brand if they aren’t.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I received a letter in the mail from Subaru of America offering “Subaru Added Security” for our new 2020 Ascent. The letter says that the plan covers parts and labor for major mechanical repairs after warranty expires. Also covers “wear and tear items”.

My question is whether this Added Security Plan is the same as the Gold Plus Plan that is mentioned on this thread? The price for 6 years/ 100,000 miles is $1,410.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you!
Unfortunately, the letter does not provide any information on deductibles. Other than to say a “small deductible will pay for all covered repairs.”

I just realized the offer is for “Added Security Classic Plan”. So I am guessing it’s not the Gold Plan.

Is 6 years/ 100,000 miles for $1,410 a good deal for the Classic Plan? I realize knowing the deductible would help but it’s not stated on the offer.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,416 Posts
There are two levels of Added Security, if I'm not mistaken. Gold is the top tier version and the most comprehensive. The letter doesn't define which it is, but based on the numbers typically on that letter, I believe it's the lower level. Get a quote for Gold from multiple dealers in your market geography for the Gold plan.

Reactions: JSAC16

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring Brilliant Bronze
83 Posts
So, I went back to my dealership, after declining the extended warranty when I first purchased, asking what options they had again. I was also curious if what I was offered was the "Subaru Gold Plus" warranty as that phrasing was not used when I was going through the finance process. Here in these forums different deductibles are talked about for example including different year lengths; hence, I also asked for the different pricing accordingly for the years and deductible options.

I was told I could only get after market warranties now. One can only get the Subaru warranties when you purchase.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,416 Posts
I was told I could only get after market warranties now. One can only get the Subaru warranties when you purchase.
That's.....a lie. Straight up. You can purchase the Subaru Gold extended service contract right up until your 3/36 OEM warranty expires. Period. Dealers who say otherwise and push a third party contract are trying to make more money, plain and simple. Get quotes from other dealers in your market geography.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes, I thought so too. I was rather disappointed in that response. I may take my oil/service needs to another dealership TBH. I am in no rush necessarily. I may ping via email a few of the surrounding dealerships and see what they offer me. Thanks for the confirmation.

·
Administrator
8,310 Posts
So, I went back to my dealership, after declining the extended warranty when I first purchased, asking what options they had again. I was also curious if what I was offered was the "Subaru Gold Plus" warranty as that phrasing was not used when I was going through the finance process. Here in these forums different deductibles are talked about for example including different year lengths; hence, I also asked for the different pricing accordingly for the years and deductible options.

PLEASE report them to Subaru of America. And please message me the name of the dealership I will NEVER refer anyone to. :mad:

Cancel the crap warranty they sold you, and work with a reputable dealership to purchase a Subaru Gold Plan.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I never did get a warranty. The price they were asking was about $1k to 1.5k higher than what folks seemed to get here on this forum. They also did not use the phrase "Subaru Gold" per se. They could have - maybe I missed it. Hence I elected NOT getting an extended warranty during purchase figuring I had time and I could get one later.

Worse case, I could wait for the eventual letter from Subaru saying "We notice you did not get a warranty - you can get one now - bla bla bla"

Either way about a week later, a few days back, I asked again for validation that I was indeed offered a "Subaru Gold Plus" plan and if they could give me prices for different years and deductibles.

I contacted my sales person with the question as I did not have the finance individual's information. Via text from my sales person I was told:

"Hi Fred*, I spoke with George* on the warranty, unfortunately he can't do anything on the extended warranty now, I can have a service writer contact you about the like product they can sell you if you want? They have TCA product that can equal the Subaru Gold Plus."

* not real names

I thought about contacting Subaru also.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts

PANTS on Fire dealer. Report them to SOA! Never do business with them and tell the general manager why in writing, with written copy to SOA that it is because of how they lied to you. Simple as that. Identify the individual who lied to you by name. These individuals and possibly the dealership need to be gone from the industry and certainly the Subaru family.

i also suggest you copy the dealership text messages sent to you. Ask SOA to give you a free gold plus plan for the horrible taste left in your mouth from this experience. Tell them you posted your experience to this forum and they can look up both your post and the forum responses.

801 - 820 of 831 Posts