Subaru Ascent Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
263 Posts
I have a Limited on order and plan on getting the 8yr/120k plan for $2700.
I'm not aware of that plan, is it genuine Subaru Gold Plus? I opted for the 10/100/0 on my purchase, the dealer had a sheet with all the plan options, and I didn't see that one.

Some dealers will try to sneak in 3rd party contracts, I hope that is not the case here.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I'm not aware of that plan, is it genuine Subaru Gold Plus? I opted for the 10/100/0 on my purchase, the dealer had a sheet with all the plan options, and I didn't see that one.

Some dealers will try to sneak in 3rd party contracts, I hope that is not the case here.
That is likely the case here. Refunds are required by law on these plans if requested.

·
Registered
126 Posts

Yes, it was a Subaru Gold plan for 8 years / 80,000 miles and $100 deductible back in March of 2019 and not a 3rd party contract.

I'm not sure whether an 8 year / 80,000 mile Subaru Gold plan is available currently. When I ordered my 2022 Onyx Edition back in October, I only requested the price for the 10 year / 100,000 mile Subaru Gold coverage.

Reactions: Jim_in_PA

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yes, it was a Subaru Gold plan for 8 years / 80,000 miles and $100 deductible back in March of 2019 and not a 3rd party contract.

I'm not sure whether an 8 year / 80,000 mile Subaru Gold plan is available currently. When I ordered my 2022 Onyx Edition back in October, I only requested the price for the 10 year / 100,000 mile Subaru Gold coverage.
Hi Indy, I was replying to SunJester, who mentioned an 8yr/120K mile plan (didn't specify a deductible). That is the one I had not heard of as a Subaru Gold Plus option. I also went with the 10/100/0 with my new Onyx, I timed out my last FCA Ram contract as I kept the truck past the 7-year expiry. I did, however, extend it on a month to month for $99/mo until I sold the truck. VSC's have always paid off for me in the aggregate, some I never used, others have paid out way more than their initial cost. I have also passed on cars to family, etc, so the balance not used by me was not "wasted".

It is also hard to quantify monetarily the "peace of mind factor", knowing that if a transmission grenades at 61K miles I'm not on the hook for Thousand$.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I very recently traded my 2020 Ascent for a 2022. My 7 year Zurich Extended Warranty Insurance on the 2020 that cost $1600 gave me a credit of $1000. Wait, what? So the Extended Warranty Insurance never kicked in because I hadn’t owned it beyond the original 3 year Subaru warranty yet it cost me $600?! I pushed the Subaru Finance manager to explain, and I phoned Zurich - neither offered a credible response! Then I got it: the $600 must have been the dealership’s commission! Heads up, folks! So I canceled the new Zurich cover on my 2022 in protest and now my Extended Warranty is covered for around $15 per month on my GEICO policy…

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,590 Posts
Dunk', I think that you'll find almost universally, that folks recommend the Subaru Gold Extended Service Contract over any third party contract by a huge margin. Dealing directly with the manufacturer has benefits and the program is extremely comprehensive.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I very recently traded my 2020 Ascent for a 2022. My 7 year Zurich Extended Warranty Insurance on the 2020 that cost $1600 gave me a credit of $1000. Wait, what? So the Extended Warranty Insurance never kicked in because I hadn’t owned it beyond the original 3 year Subaru warranty yet it cost me $600?! I pushed the Subaru Finance manager to explain, and I phoned Zurich - neither offered a credible response! Then I got it: the $600 must have been the dealership’s commission! Heads up, folks! So I canceled the new Zurich cover on my 2022 in protest and now my Extended Warranty is covered for around $15 per month on my GEICO policy…
Does the Geico policy have the same coverage as Subaru Gold Plus? Being a major company, I wouldn't fear Geico as being a "fly-by-night" like US Fidelis and others have been. Will they replace the Eyesight system, Nav unit, Infotainment system, etc, etc? Many 3rd party VSCs require you to pay upfront for repairs and then be reimbursed, often with ugly results. If you extrapolate the cost of the Geico policy ($15/moX12 months for 10 years) the cost is $1800. For $250 more, I got the Subaru Gold Plus, 10/100/0 pretty much bumper to bumper. Also consider that you are paying Geico $15/mo for duplicate coverage to your Subaru 3/36 new car warranty, so they are getting a $540 "commission" from you, as the Subaru warranty already has you covered (unless you wait until the 3/36 is about to expire before starting with Geico). I would carefully examine the coverage and payment details before committing to anything other than the genuine SoA product, YMMV.

·
Super Moderator
4,590 Posts
They are a decent company, but you also need to maintain the vehicle insurance with them to have the extended service contract. Harder to move on if there is a sudden, large rate increase, and then a hard job being able to get a contract on what is now a vehicle that may be out of OEM warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So we ordered our 2022 Ascent Premium in November and it's finally here! (well, slated for delivery tomorrow). Our salesperson sent over the options for the extended warranty which are listed below:

6 years - 100k miles - $2,160
7 years - 100k miles - $2,300
10 years - 100k miles - $2,590

This will be my wife's car and won't be driven all that much. We're replacing a 2003 Honda Pilot with 205k miles on it. We keep our vehicles forever and this one probably won't have more than 8-10k miles put on it a year and that's a stretch. Any thoughts? With the previous years Ascent issues, thought it was at least worth considering. Thanks!
You can save a lot of money by shopping around other subaru dealers. I have a 2020 Accent got a 100,000 mi 10yr. 0 ded. For $1,700 from a subaru dealer in NJ.

·
Registered
263 Posts
You can save a lot of money by shopping around other subaru dealers. I have a 2020 Accent got a 100,000 mi 10yr. 0 ded. For $1,700 from a subaru dealer in NJ.
That's a very good price for that warranty. However, I've read that "shopping around" is now limited to your "market area", tho I've yet to see a published map of "market areas". If you live in CA, the quote from NJ would probably be meaningless. By all means, check with dealers in your, and surrounding states. These VSCs are pure profit for the dealer, whatever markup they get is gravy...no inventory to keep, no financial investment until sold, and probably only 10 minutes or less time involved in the sale.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I’ve got 2019 still with the original warranty and am getting a similar quote. Quotes are vastly different depending on dealer. Question though: is there any restriction on where you can get warrantied? Like if you live in FL can you purchase warranty in NJ?

·
Super Moderator
4,590 Posts
Like if you live in FL can you purchase warranty in NJ?
No. And in Florida, insurance regulations require MSRP pricing, too.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I always say no to the extended warranties.

I've had 10 vehicles and would have paid about $15k or more in extended warranties. I've needed 1 repair that the warranty would have covered which was $2,500 (and that was a Pontiac, not the most reliable brand). I'm up $12.5k.

Whenever they try and push the extended warranty on me at the dealer, I always say, "So you're telling me this car isn't reliable and is going to fall apart at 36k miles?"

The reason you get so many of those, "your car's warranty is expiring, extend your coverage now" is because they make a boatload on the warranties!

I'll admit, at least the Subaru Gold is a very good warranty without exclusions and expensive deductibles like many of the aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I always say no to the extended warranties.

I've had 10 vehicles and would have paid about $15k or more in extended warranties. I've needed 1 repair that the warranty would have covered which was $2,500 (and that was a Pontiac, not the most reliable brand). I'm up $12.5k.

Whenever they try and push the extended warranty on me at the dealer, I always say, "So you're telling me this car isn't reliable and is going to fall apart at 36k miles?"

The reason you get so many of those, "your car's warranty is expiring, extend your coverage now" is because they make a boatload on the warranties!

I'll admit, at least the Subaru Gold is a very good warranty without exclusions and expensive deductibles like many of the aftermarket ones.
YMMV, as they say. In the aggregate, I am ahead of the game comparing the cost of contracts vs claims paid. There is also the "peace of mind" factor for those of us who keep cars well beyond the initial full warranty. I know that if my $2K eyesight craps out at 40K miles, I'm covered, or if the engine throws a rod at 61K miles, I'm covered. Hard to place a dollar and cents value on that. I also have passed on cars to relatives, and I like knowing that they are also covered for major repairs.

I know ppl who turn their cars over every 2 or 3 years, or at lease end. For them the VSCs make no sense unless they drive 3X the normal annual milage.

I saw this posted recently..."Being that I'm a little older now, and living alone, it's nice to have someone call and check up on me every day. He is a nice young man from India, and he is very concerned about my car's warranty" :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
283 Posts
YMMV, as they say. In the aggregate, I am ahead of the game comparing the cost of contracts vs claims paid. There is also the "peace of mind" factor for those of us who keep cars well beyond the initial full warranty. I know that if my $2K eyesight craps out at 40K miles, I'm covered, or if the engine throws a rod at 61K miles, I'm covered. Hard to place a dollar and cents value on that. I also have passed on cars to relatives, and I like knowing that they are also covered for major repairs.

I know ppl who turn their cars over every 2 or 3 years, or at lease end. For them the VSCs make no sense unless they drive 3X the normal annual milage.
I have never been that person in the past, but I'm on my 4th car in the last 10 years, so apparently I am now.
  • 2013 Fiat 500C that I loved, but daughter and lifestyle quickly outgrew
  • 2017 Lexus CT200h that I leased. Didn't care for it enough to buy out the lease and needed a bigger car since one of my 2 dogs physically couldn't stand up in it after he was ~6 mos old.
  • 2019 Ascent Limited
  • 2021 Ascent Touring which is what I wanted in 2019 but couldn't stomach the brown interior

No clue if I'll keep this one long term, even though that's my current plan. I expect the PHEV/EV market to evolve dramatically in the next couple of years and if I can get an Ascent, or similar, with that "under the hood" that's where I'll head next. If it looks like I'm going to hang on to it beyond 3 years, I'll likely fire up an extended service plan at that point since I may even just be giving this one to my kid when she gets her license in ~18 months.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
This one needs an explanation please. "my Extended Warranty is covered for around $15 per month on my GEICO policy… " What entity actually manages the policy for Geico decisions as to whether an item is covered? What is their record? Depending on the trim, you just spent about $40,000 and have determined you want the peace of mind of an "extended warranty". I just do not understand why anyone would not go with the Subaru Gold Plus and instead use a third party at great risk of receiving little to nothing in a claim is made. For a 7 year Geico plan (Mechanical Breakdown Insurance) you are paying $1260 (I do not know what the corresponding mileage limitation is). In contrast I paid what amounts to $16.41/month for my 10 year/100,000 mile Gold Plus Plan ($0 deductable compared to your $250 for each item). The difference is that the Gold Plus Plan has a stellar reputation and covers some wear and tear items.

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
This one needs an explanation please. "my Extended Warranty is covered for around $15 per month on my GEICO policy… " What entity actually manages the policy for Geico decisions as to whether an item is covered? What is their record? Depending on the trim, you just spent about $40,000 and have determined you want the peace of mind of an "extended warranty". I just do not understand why anyone would not go with the Subaru Gold Plus and instead use a third party at great risk of receiving little to nothing in a claim is made. For a 7 year Geico plan (Mechanical Breakdown Insurance) you are paying $1260 (I do not know what the corresponding mileage limitation is). In contrast I paid what amounts to $16.41/month for my 10 year/100,000 mile Gold Plus Plan ($0 deductable compared to your $250 for each item). The difference is that the Gold Plus Plan has a stellar reputation and covers some wear and tear items.
I've heard many horror stories regarding 3rd party warranties. US Fidelis was the big player a few years ago, CarShield is today. Like US Fidelis, CarShield is spending millions on TV ads, at the expense of honoring claims. Sort of a Ponzi scheme, keep new customers coming in while ignoring existing ones. US Fidelis went BK, leaving thousands with worthless paper contracts (the owners/scammers had to sell their 25 million dollar mansion, poor guys).

I extrapolated out the cost of the Geico $15/mo to $1800 over 10 years, with unknown coverage, or if OEM or aftermarket parts are used, etc, etc. I paid $250 more for a known quantity with known coverage, honored by every Subaru dealer. 10/100/0 Gold Plus
No brainer for me. If I sell the car in 5 years, I can either be refunded the balance, or advertise "5 year, 50K mile bumper to bumper warranty" (it is transferable) when I sell the car, or pass it on to a family member. I don't think Geico offers those options.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I've heard many horror stories regarding 3rd party warranties. US Fidelis was the big player a few years ago, CarShield is today. Like US Fidelis, CarShield is spending millions on TV ads, at the expense of honoring claims. Sort of a Ponzi scheme, keep new customers coming in while ignoring existing ones. US Fidelis went BK, leaving thousands with worthless paper contracts (the owners/scammers had to sell their 25 million dollar mansion, poor guys).

I extrapolated out the cost of the Geico $15/mo to $1800 over 10 years, with unknown coverage, or if OEM or aftermarket parts are used, etc, etc. I paid $250 more for a known quantity with known coverage, honored by every Subaru dealer. 10/100/0 Gold Plus
No brainer for me. If I sell the car in 5 years, I can either refund the balance, advertise "5 year, 50K mile bumper to bumper warranty" (it is transferable) or pass it on to a family member. I don't think Geico offers those options.
everyone is getting into this "insurance service contract" market due to its potential high profit.

·
Registered
263 Posts
everyone is getting into this "insurance service contract" market due to its potential high profit.
Used to be "Scotchguard & Permaplate" at the dealerships. Now It's CarShield on TV.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have never gone with an extended warranty on anything in my life, but considering it for my wife's 2021 limited.
I do all maintenance and repairs, but with the Ascent, with the complexity of the electronics and the CVT it might finally be worth it.
Has anyone had to use it and if so, how did it work out?

21 - 40 of 45 Posts