Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we ordered our 2022 Ascent Premium in November and it's finally here! (well, slated for delivery tomorrow). Our salesperson sent over the options for the extended warranty which are listed below:

6 years - 100k miles - $2,160
7 years - 100k miles - $2,300
10 years - 100k miles - $2,590

This will be my wife's car and won't be driven all that much. We're replacing a 2003 Honda Pilot with 205k miles on it. We keep our vehicles forever and this one probably won't have more than 8-10k miles put on it a year and that's a stretch. Any thoughts? With the previous years Ascent issues, thought it was at least worth considering. Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
So we ordered our 2022 Ascent Premium in November and it's finally here! (well, slated for delivery tomorrow). Our salesperson sent over the options for the extended warranty which are listed below:

This will be my wife's car and won't be driven all that much. We're replacing a 2003 Honda Pilot with 205k miles on it. We keep our vehicles forever and this one probably won't have more than 8-10k miles put on it a year and that's a stretch. Any thoughts? With the previous years Ascent issues, thought it was at least worth considering. Thanks!
Like any other insurance policy. You buy it and hope you never have to use it. I know I'm glad my life insurance policy never gets used. What a waste of premiums, right? I've paid homeowners insurance since 1992 and only have one claim against it but it got us a new $20,000 roof. If the CVT or some other complicated system ever fails on this car I'll be quite happy with my purchase.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent Touring
11 Posts
I'm also thinking about the same for 2021 Ascent touring. With my 2019 Forester Sport I ended up not getting it and so far so good. Im my personal opinion extended warranties and insurance should be used when the worst case scenario is unaffordable, or just very very expansive to address. For example with our 3rd car which is worth around 5-6K, I'm not doing full coverage because if it's wracked or stolen it's not a big deal, I don't buy medical insurance for my dogs, both of which had to have surgeries in the last couple of years and I believe I'm still ahead by not paying premiums, I just know vet bills aren't actually that high.
With the Ascent I'm a little on the fence. CVT replacement seem to be around 7K, if you add to that an engine failure it can get to "very very expansive" pretty quickly.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,600 Posts
Whether it's worth it or not depends upon how you feel about taking out insurance which is what these Extended Service Contracts are. Personally, I'll be doing a 7/100/0 for my MY19 Ascent Touring very shortly so I'm covered beyond the expiration of my 3/36 which will happen in a few months time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Limited on order and plan on getting the 8yr/120k plan for $2700. Since this will become our daily driver (we put 200k miles on our 2011 Santa Fe) I just want to be a bit on the paranoid side.
Especially as I feel our dealer is not gouging us price-wise like the Hyundai or Kia dealers are.

I hope to never need the coverage........

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whether it's worth it or not depends upon how you feel about taking out insurance which is what these Extended Service Contracts are. Personally, I'll be doing a 7/100/0 for my MY19 Ascent Touring very shortly so I'm covered beyond the expiration of my 3/36 which will happen in a few months time.
That's a good point.. I wonder if I can purchase this at a later date before my 3/36k is over....

·
Registered
589 Posts

People on this site have paid as low as $1,070 for a 5 year, $100 deductible, 100,000 miles and $1,300 for 7 year, $100 deductible, 100,000 miles

·
Registered
297 Posts
That's a good point.. I wonder if I can purchase this at a later date before my 3/36k is over....
Yes, you should be able to purchase when you're within your initial coverage. Might be easier to negotiate a better price though when you're combining it with your new purchase though.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts

all options you listed were way overpriced, by about $600 or more.

·
Registered
11 Posts
all options you listed were way overpriced, by about $600 or more.
It probably depends on location, I was offered 3K for 7/100K/100$ from the dealer I bought my Ascent from, I wasn't going to buy the extended warranty anyway at the time but he didn't even try to negotiate, as if it's a decent price, and he was pretty upset I didn't buy that or the maintances plan.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
It probably depends on location, I was offered 3K for 7/100K/100$ from the dealer I bought my Ascent from, I wasn't going to buy the extended warranty anyway at the time but he didn't even try to negotiate, as if it's a decent price, and he was pretty upset I didn't buy that or the maintances plan.
the cost to the dealer is the same throughout the nation, so the dealer price variation is simply their profit from reaching into your wallet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
the cost to the dealer is the same throughout the nation, so the dealer price variation is simply their profit from reaching into your wallet.
Indeed, but at high cost of living areas they are looking to make higher profits.

·
Super Moderator
4,600 Posts
You can purchase the Subaru Gold Extended Service Plan up until that last mile/minute of your 3/36 OEM warranty. the risk is price increases and the Gold plan does cover a few things not part of the OEM warranty. (and vice versa) My only reason for delaying, honestly, was because I chose to pay off my Ascent in three years and with juggling two mortgages during the long sales cycle for our old property. (unique property that required the right buyer to come along) The only other limitation with buying the plan is that Subaru now only allows dealers in your "market area" to quote and sell the plans to you, so when shopping for price, keep that in mind.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Indeed, but at high cost of living areas they are looking to make higher profits.
I live in Denver which has a high cost of living of 112.1. I was able to shop around and pay a much lower price than was quoted to me by other dealers in the same Subaru market area. They can ask all they want and then they watched my butt leave their office.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I live in Denver which has a high cost of living of 112.1. I was able to shop around and pay a much lower price than was quoted to me by other dealers in the same Subaru market area. They can ask all they want and then they watched my butt leave their office.
I bought my Ascent and was quoted that price in San Francisco, I knew I can shop around and I knew it was a high price and was planning on getting it later if I decide I want to.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I bought my Gold Plus extended warranty for my 19 Ascent from Luke in Westchester, NY a while back.
I am based in California and saw a few comments on this forum about market areas and rules being different in California. Luke never mentioned any such thing when selling the warranty.

Now I am apprehensive if the Gold Plus warranty is indeed valid (as I am in CA and Luke's dealership was in NY). Do I need to do anything? I am past 3/36K OEM warranty now.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I bought my Gold Plus extended warranty for my 19 Ascent from Luke in Westchester, NY a while back.
I am based in California and saw a few comments on this forum about market areas and rules being different in California. Luke never mentioned any such thing when selling the warranty.

Now I am apprehensive if the Gold Plus warranty is indeed valid (as I am in CA and Luke's dealership was in NY). Do I need to do anything? I am past 3/36K OEM warranty now.
no. once you have the contract, it is valid. end of story.

·
Super Moderator
4,600 Posts
That is not a possibility these days for two reasons..."Luke" is no longer in the business and Subaru changed the policies that only allow dealers in one's "market area" to sell the Gold extended service contract to you. That change occurred a couple years ago. I'm actually surprised you were able to buy the contract as you did because of how California's regulations are..you bring that up, actually. My understanding is that extended service contracts have to be purchased from in-state entities in that state. But it was nice you were able to do it for a better price when you did!

I also do not believe you will have an issue with using your Gold plan for the reason that packout cites.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Log into www.mysubaru.com, click the "Vehicle Service & Maintenance" heading at the top, then choose the "Added Security" option from the drop-downs. It should list your Gold Plus details under the "My Coverage" section on that page, shown as Active. If not, contact Subaru directly for help.

·
Registered
126 Posts

I always buy the Subaru Gold Extended Warranty -- it's great peace of mind and good to have if I pass on my Subaru when it's six or seven years old to one of our kids. I am awaiting a 2022 Ascent Onyx addition that I ordered in October. My dealer quoted me $2450 for a 10 year/100,000 mile/$0 deductible Subaru Gold. I probably could get a lower price, but my local dealer has been great and they are selling me the Onyx at the 2% below dealer invoice through the Subaru VIP program and told me they would give me an additional $500 off. That is a good deal now when so many brands and dealers are charging above MSRP. I have all my service done at this dealer and I've referred 3 friends who've purchased new Subarus at this dealership since 2019.

Two other things to consider when purchasing the Subaru Gold plans:
1) I have a 2019 Ascent Limited that I will be selling when the 2022 Onyx arrives. I will be able to get a pro-rated refund on the unused portion of that extended warranty.
2). When I purchased the Subaru Gold plan in 2019, there was a $500 coupon if I purchased a new Subaru within 4 years. I will use this $500 towards the 2022 Onyx. I am not sure if these $500 coupons are being offered now.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts