Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I left the dealer with a brand new 2020 Subaru Ascent. Awesome car! Ordered 6/20 and got it 7/31. It was pretty basic so maybe that's why it came so quickly. On to my questions.

I was offered the 10yr/100k for $3,000 and when I said I'd like to shop around they lowered it to $2,500 and so I added it in. Of course I kept looking around and when I really looked at the extended warranty it was under Fidelity Warranty Service which raised a red flag because I was told it was Subaru and that my car could be taken to any Subaru dealer. When asking other dealers for pricing I was asking for a platinum package and they said Subaru only offers a gold package ... another red flag raised. I was told I could cancel anytime and if I purchased something that 3rd party and not Subaru I want to know. I hate being misinformed. Any ideas about this 3rd party warranty?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
No _ way would I ever buy a non-manufacturer backed extended service contract. Ever. With a little shopping, you can also get the Subaru Gold plan for about a thousand less than you paid for that 3rd party contract. Discussion in the warranties section of this forum.

Reactions: ctpreviti and geebd

·
Registered
567 Posts
So I left the dealer with a brand new 2020 Subaru Ascent. Awesome car! Ordered 6/20 and got it 7/31. It was pretty basic so maybe that's why it came so quickly. On to my questions.

I was offered the 10yr/100k for $3,000 and when I said I'd like to shop around they lowered it to $2,500 and so I added it in. Of course I kept looking around and when I really looked at the extended warranty it was under Fidelity Warranty Service which raised a red flag because I was told it was Subaru and that my car could be taken to any Subaru dealer. When asking other dealers for pricing I was asking for a platinum package and they said Subaru only offers a gold package ... another red flag raised. I was told I could cancel anytime and if I purchased something that 3rd party and not Subaru I want to know. I hate being misinformed. Any ideas about this 3rd party warranty?
CANCEL IT !!! Only buy the genuine Subaru Added Security Gold Plus and I believe you can get it for less than the $2,500 that you paid. The SOA one will appear on your MySubaru website and any service department will see that you are covered. You can cancel it at any time and receive a prorated refund - such as selling your Ascent in 5 years. You can take the refund or transfer it to the new owner - hopefully, increasing your resale value.

Here is the website: https://www.subaru.com/addedsecurity

Call around to other dealers in the area and let them know your are price shopping. Then come back to this website and ask for an "opinion" as to whether you should "counter" or can do better.

BTW, there was another new post on the same subject today, you might want to follow it also. This is the Heading on it: Does Subaru Gold Plus cover wear and tear?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called the dealer and they said it was Subaru backed and that I can take it to any Subaru. Are Subaru backed EW vs OEM vs 3rd party all different? I'm assuming that one from Subaru is OEM and should show up on mysubaru.com (my plan does not). Very confused right and its a shame that for dealers it's more or less intentional.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
If it's not an actual Subaru plan, it's not Subaru backed. Period. The dealer is spinning you.

Reactions: geebd and Sparkland

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Don't believe anything more that the dealer tells you about that 3rd party warranty. CANCEL, that warranty immediately. You have 3 years to decide if you want the Subaru Gold Plan.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Don't believe anything more that the dealer tells you about that 3rd party warranty. CANCEL, that warranty immediately. You have 3 years to decide if you want the Subaru Gold Plan.
Like "Sparkland" said - it's a 3rd party warranty. Go to my link above - those are the ONLY ones Subaru of America offers! To further confirm, call Subaru Customer Support direct at 1 (800) 782-2783

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really appreciate everyone's feedback on the warranty. I went into the dealer and canceled it and thankfully with no questions asked.

Before I went in I called Subaru (Thanks kathytn) and verified that it was not a SOA Warrany or Subaru backed warranty (no such thing) and instead a 3rd Party. They also confirmed that you can purchase the SOA plan up to 3 years / 36k milesof the vehicle so you have time to decide. They also confirmed that you can purchase the EW from any dealer and it will be honored at any authorized Subaru retailer.

I really appreciate all of the knowledgeable members in this forum! Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I called the dealer and they said it was Subaru backed and that I can take it to any Subaru. Are Subaru backed EW vs OEM vs 3rd party all different? I'm assuming that one from Subaru is OEM and should show up on mysubaru.com (my plan does not). Very confused right and its a shame that for dealers it's more or less intentional.
I hope you recorded him and then if they do not offer you a full refund, you should take them to small claims court and report them to the state AG and the dealer regulatory agency in your state.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.