Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are in need of adding an extended cargo box to our Ascent. I was just about to pull the trigger when I noticed that it said not compatible with a sunroof. We have a touring model.... So the sunroof was just included. Does anyone have experience with this?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Do you mean that the cargo box company says it's not compatible with a sunroof?

On our Touring, I have thule racks and a large thule overhead box (looks like a big chicklet gum, or we call it "spock's tomb" or a photon torpedo). No problems here. I also loaded a roof top tent on the racks, up to the Ascent load limit. No problems so far.

Other option is a cargo box on the hitch, which we do simultaneously for gobs of storage space. 7 hours each way up to the mountains with top and rear boxes, no problem.

The one incompatibility is that I can't see out of the sunroof with the roof box on! Seriously though, I'm interested in what they are worried about.

F.S.

Edit: Oh wait, does your intended cargo box sit on the roof/sunroof, strapped down to the rails? I wouldn't lay anything right on the sunroof.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there thanks for responding. It is the black extended cargo box that connects to the cross crossbars on top of the roof. So it would not actually sit on the roof, it would sit on the crossbars. I was concerned because there was a small note under the description that said not compatible with sunroofs. I thought that was weird especially because the sunroof was not an option. It was already in the touring package. It never occurred to me that we would not be able to add a cargo box which we need desperately. We are downsizing from an excursion LOL

·
Registered
1 Posts
You should be fine, the note specifically states "Not compatible with the Moonroof Air Deflector". My assumption is that would mean those small plastic deflectors that can be mounted to the front edge of a moonroof.

I can let you know though, just received delivery of our Ascent Touring today, and the Crossbars and Extended Cargo box will be in next week.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would think you would have more of an issue with an extended cargo box hitting the hatch when it’s raised than with the sunroof. Just something to keep in mind...

·
Registered
232 Posts
We are in need of adding an extended cargo box to our Ascent. I was just about to pull the trigger when I noticed that it said not compatible with a sunroof. We have a touring model.... So the sunroof was just included. Does anyone have experience with this?
I can confirm I put a Thule Motion XT-XL on the Subaru bars with a sunroof in the worst possible position and it works fine. The worst position is with one of the bars right above the black band where the fixed glass part meets the movable glass. The grapples from the Thule box go about an inch under the bars, and that's where the glass reaches its highest point while opening. I still have about an inch between the tip of the glass wand the lowest point of the grapples while moving. Once it gets in position it's more.
I believe thee extended bars are even higher but the Subaru ones came with my car. Placing the bar over that black band you can look up and not see any blockage (of course, without the box...)

·
Registered
232 Posts
I would think you would have more of an issue with an extended cargo box hitting the hatch when it’s raised than with the sunroof. Just something to keep in mind...
I can also confirm the Motion XT XL has at least 10 inches between the open hatch and the box while the front bar is in that blacked band area. You could go with the XXL ant still not have any issue whatsoever.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you guys so much. My heart stopped for a moment when I saw that disclaimer. We really need the box otherwise vacations would be impossible using this car.

·
Super Moderator
6,550 Posts
The Subaru branded Aero rails are raised upwards, so, a cargo box will work fine on them, since even if one opens the moonroof by accident, it won't hit the box, as long as when mounting it, one remembers to make sure the hardware clears.

I mount the cargo boxes with the U bracket facing up, and the bolt-knob thingies on the inside (also makes it more difficult for someone to take it off when I park).

·
Registered
544 Posts
So how does everyone store their boxes when not in use?

Wondering I should build some sort of wall mount system or build a hand truck with similarly spaced bars. That way I can just wheel it over and park it somewhere inside the garage

·
Registered
232 Posts

Wondering I should build some sort of wall mount system or build a hand truck with similarly spaced bars. That way I can just wheel it over and park it somewhere inside the garage
I went to home depot and bought pulleys, steel cord, aluminum bars, some furniture wheels and some hooks. I put 2 wheels on the aluminum bars, the bars go under the box, and it "grabs" the bars just like the aero bars on the roof. Then I can kick-slide the box inside the garage, connect my hooks on the aluminum bars and pulling the steel cord rolls the box up the wall, as high as possible (bottom around 6 ft, enough to not hit the driver's door of the car).
All in all cost me about $80 in materials and one afternoon to build it. But at that cost it gets close to the commercial systems, which come motorized and everything so perhaps mine is not the best idea.

·
Registered
109 Posts
That's my current dilemma also! I just got a Thule Force XT XL and it takes up a huge amount of room. I'll probably make a pulley system to hoist it to the garage ceiling and get a small trailer winch to lift / lower it.

@NotAClunker : Let's see some pics if you get a chance! That's a cool idea.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Been looking at a cargo box to prepare for a road trip to Colorado in the Spring. What do y'all pack into the cargo box? I was mainly looking to store a stroller and other miscellaneous items in there for the trip. I tend to forget how large the Ascent is and the cargo boxes seem small in pictures.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I hang my Thule Box from the garage roof. I used a $20 bike hanging system ( basically just a set of pulleys and two hooks to hook on to the bike). Instead of a bike I put two straps around the Thule Box and hook on to the straps and pull it up to ceiling.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I hang my Thule Box from the garage roof. I used a $20 bike hanging system ( basically just a set of pulleys and two hooks to hook on to the bike). Instead of a bike I put two straps around the Thule Box and hook on to the straps and pull it up to ceiling.
Nice. I have a couple of those for bikes. I wanted something a little more heavy duty so am putting together my own kit. In reading reviews of similar products that use straps, people were having problems with straps pinching the edges of their boxes. Have you experienced anything like that? I'm thinking of making "hoops" out of electrical EMT or PVC pipe for the box to sit in.

What do y'all pack into the cargo box? I was mainly looking to store a stroller and other miscellaneous items in there for the trip. I tend to forget how large the Ascent is and the cargo boxes seem small in pictures.
Lighter objects that take a bunch of space. For camping that'll be mostly pillows, sleeping bags, blankets. There's not a lot of load capacity to start and the box and cross bars eat up probably 60 lbs of it.
IDK. My box looks appropriately sized.

·
Registered
232 Posts
A little explanation:
On the first picture, there's 3 pulleys, rated for 400 lbs each (less than $4 each) attached to the masonry wall with 1/4" tapcons. There's two steel cables (1/8" with viynil coating), one ends at the center pulley, the other one at the left pulley. You can't see it in the picture but at the right pulley there's 2 cables rolling at the same time, thus makes it harder to roll, so this could be improved with perhaps a double pulley.
To the right you can see the 2 steel cords going down vertically. The very last picture shows where it ends: I out a cast iron boat handle that gets locked in place by those 2 little hooks. I put locks to make sure kids cannot mess with it, as it would drop the box on top of them.
The second picture shows you how high it goes, that open door is my Ascent. The ladder is not supposed to be there, of course, I still have to find a place to move it to.
The third picture shows the aluminum plates, the wheels and how the box clamps to the plates. When I need the box, and after taking out the ladder of course, the box rolls nicely down the wall. I put a blanket on the floor so I don't scratch the side (I do this alone, if y have somebody helping, they just pull the box off the wall as it goes down and the aluminum plates will touch the slab). Once on the floor, the top hooks (4th picture) can disengage and I roll the box next to the car. Where I can open the box and release the 2 aluminum plates, and it's ready to be lifted up to the roof.
The reverse is simple as well, I drop the box on a blanket to the side of the car, slid the plates under, open the box and adjust the clamps. Then I can roll the box , hook the cord and pull it up the wall.
It's a process, but lately it takes me no more than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks for the write up. I made some progress on mine this weekend but will have to wait to finish until next week. Goin' camping. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts