Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have ordered my Ascent and just waiting for delivery now and want to get a roof rack base system ordered so it is ready to install when the car arrives. I am looking to get a rack where the bars extend past the roof rails since I want the extra room (so no OEM aerobars or the Yakima Thule Aero ones that are inside the rails).

I was originally going to go with the Yakima Timberlines and then noticed how the rail grab sits pretty far outside the rail and leaves a hole made by the tower and the strap. I am thinking this may add to noise, but wanted to get a poll of those who have racks.

I am considering the following rack combos, curious if anyone has feedback on noise:

• Yakima Timberline towers with Jetstream bars
  • Thule 450R towers with Wingbar Evo
  • Subaru Thule extended bars
  • Rhino Rack Vortex (these look like the towers are semi specific to the Ascent which is kind of nice).

Thanks for the help

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Thules (both) are pretty quiet. And, the Subaru branded Thule Aero Extended are rated for 700 pounds parked load. All max out at 176 pounds when moving, of course, regardless of bar ratings.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like with the Yak Jetstream and Thule Evo bars you dont have to trim the rubber strip/vortex generator to get a T-slot attachment in. The Rhino Rack you have to trim or remove. Not sure with the Subaru/Thule.

I have seen quite a bit of posting on here that the Thule Evo are not the same as the Subaru Thule. Is that in bar profile and tower design? Are the Subaru Thule the older aero bar profile or a custom profile just for Subaru?

As far as ratings, I have zero intention of a roof top tent so its not a biggie. I believe the Yakima (maybe not Jetstream but the Core Bar and HD bar) are roof top tent rated.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
I use Yakima Timberline towers with the Jetstream large (70") bars, which extend around six inches beyond the OEM rails, maybe a little more. No appreciable wind noise. I went with the large bars to support multiple inflatable boats, and wanted plenty of bar end for the tiedown straps.

·
Registered
49 Posts
We have Yakima Jetstreams on custom mounts. They are almost silent on the Outback.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello! I have ordered my Ascent and just waiting for delivery now and want to get a roof rack base system ordered so it is ready to install when the car arrives. I am looking to get a rack where the bars extend past the roof rails since I want the extra room (so no OEM aerobars or the Yakima Thule Aero ones that are inside the rails).

I was originally going to go with the Yakima Timberlines and then noticed how the rail grab sits pretty far outside the rail and leaves a hole made by the tower and the strap. I am thinking this may add to noise, but wanted to get a poll of those who have racks.

I am considering the following rack combos, curious if anyone has feedback on noise:

• Yakima Timberline towers with Jetstream bars
  • Thule 450R towers with Wingbar Evo
  • Subaru Thule extended bars
  • Rhino Rack Vortex (these look like the towers are semi specific to the Ascent which is kind of nice).
Thanks for the help
Did some research on roof rails and cross bars, Prinsu roof rack for Subaru Ascent looks very promising. Requires removing original roof rails ( big project) but reduces the total height above the roof, not sure how much wind noise. Anybody have an experience with Prinsu?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ended up ordering some Jetstream bars. After talking with Yakima customer service they lead me to believe the Jetstreams were "noticeably" quieter than the Core Bar. We have core bars on my wife's Santa Fe sport mounted on baseline towers and they are definitely noisy, but it could also be the tower aerodynamics in this case too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I use Yakima Timberline towers with the Jetstream large (70") bars, which extend around six inches beyond the OEM rails, maybe a little more. No appreciable wind noise. I went with the large bars to support multiple inflatable boats, and wanted plenty of bar end for the tiedown straps.
Looking to get either 60" or 70". When I measure with a tape measure, it seems the 60" will stick out 7.5" from the outside of the rail. The 70" will stick 12.5". It seems pretty far out, but when I look at the pictures from the yakima site with the 60" bars, they don't really seem very far out. Do the 70" seems wildly wide, or are they comfortable?

Tom

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
Looking to get either 60" or 70". When I measure with a tape measure, it seems the 60" will stick out 7.5" from the outside of the rail. The 70" will stick 12.5". It seems pretty far out, but when I look at the pictures from the yakima site with the 60" bars, they don't really seem very far out. Do the 70" seems wildly wide, or are they comfortable?

Tom
They are perfect for my application, and in my opinion they are not extremely wide, but obviously have a purpose unlike many of the crossbars you see mounted on other cars, like my 2015 Forester with stock crossbars that I've never used, or my 2016 Crosstrek with stock crossbars that also have never been used. And yes, the 70" bars do extend almost a foot beyond the OEM side rails, not the 6 inches as I stated in my initial post. Having said that, remember that some states have laws that prohibit crossbars extending beyond the width of your side mirrors, but the 70" bars don't even come close to that, but longer ones might.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have the jetstreams on now and can hardly hear them if at all (tire noise is a much greater component). The core bars on my wifes car howl, but different car, different tower so maybe thats more of the issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts