Subaru Ascent Forum banner
61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Who confirmed that? I’ve called a few different dealers and gotten completely different answers. One said no you don’t need the installed remote start to start from the app. The other said you do need it installed. So I called Subaru customer service and the woman I spoke to said that you couldn’t start the car from the app even though I told her it says you can right on their website. She insisted it was a mistake and she would speak to their marketing department. So frustrating as it’s an almost $500 accessory that I don’t need if I can start from the app without it!
Not sure how to confirm this. I can only take the word of the dealer about the requirement to have the remote start accessory installed for the app to work. There is obviously a lack of info on how this will truely work based on the limited marketing material. It is frustrating but if something changes and we pay for something not really needed I know Subaru will do the right thing.

·
Registered
598 Posts
My Subaru fob remote start works from at least a mile away (line of site), for what it's worth.

Sorry to be a bum here on your MSRP pricing but can anyone confirm invoice price on Premium Option code 12 and Premium no options? (I have a VIP authorization, also Subaru Ambassador).

Got the invoice price for Premium 8 pax and Premium 7 pax with Option code 12 (As I understand, if you want captains chairs, you are forced to order Option 12). The difference between the 2 at invoice is significantly different than the MSRP difference (MSRP difference is $1460).

In other words, the "discount" from msrp -> invoice on the Premium 8 pax is quite a bit bigger than the msrp->invoice "discount" on the Premium 7 pax Option 12. Just want to make sure what I am hearing is correct. It took quite a bit of arm twisting to get those numbers even with VIP authorization and I felt a little like I was getting the run around.
Does your remote start have the secondary fob with the mini antenna?
Sorry not sure now to confirm invoice until the price listing becomes publicly available. I typically use cars.com or edmunds.com to confirm invoice pricing but it’s obviously not available yet.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Who confirmed that? I’ve called a few different dealers and gotten completely different answers. One said no you don’t need the installed remote start to start from the app. The other said you do need it installed. So I called Subaru customer service and the woman I spoke to said that you couldn’t start the car from the app even though I told her it says you can right on their website. She insisted it was a mistake and she would speak to their marketing department. So frustrating as it’s an almost $500 accessory that I don’t need if I can start from the app without it!
Not sure how to confirm this. I can only take the word of the dealer about the requirement to have the remote start accessory installed for the app to work. There is obviously a lack of info on how this will truely work based on the limited marketing material. It is frustrating but if something changes and we pay for something not really needed I know Subaru will do the right thing.
Good to know from someone that has experience with Subaru, thank you! This is our first experience preordering a brand new vehicle and our first experience with Subaru.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Does your remote start have the secondary fob with the mini antenna?
Sorry not sure now to confirm invoice until the price listing becomes publicly available. I typically use cars.com or edmunds.com to confirm invoice pricing but it’s obviously not available yet.
Yeah I think so - this is the one:

This is starting the car from the top of the ski mountain on my last run of the day for what it's worth :grin: But i'm always pleasantly surprised that it works!!!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Yeah I think so - this is the one:
This is starting the car from the top of the ski mountain on my last run of the day for what it's worth :grin: But i'm always pleasantly surprised that it works!!!
Glad the range is good on this version - my WRX came with the factory remote start but it didn't include the 'long range' remote/antenna and it was basically worthless - only worked standing right next to the car. needless to say i went aftermarket.
The range on the phone app should be limitless - assuming it works like the aftermarket systems.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
OEM remote starters (RS) are mediocre at best and Subaru's RS implementation is horrible. Subaru's RS appears to be a secondary thought of the design. Other brands (Ford, GM, Nissan) have a single key FOB for both security and RS, Subaru Ascent have two key FOBs - urrrghhhh!!!

Any Subaru model comes w/ a single key FOB for both?

I'm planning to get the Limited trim package, which includes push-start keyless, but I prefer the key so I can have a single key FOB w/ aftermarket alarm/RS unit.

·
Registered
598 Posts
OEM remote starters (RS) are mediocre at best and Subaru's RS implementation is horrible. Subaru's RS appears to be a secondary thought of the design. Other brands (Ford, GM, Nissan) have a single key FOB for both security and RS, Subaru Ascent have two key FOBs - urrrghhhh!!!

I'm planning to get the Limited trim package, which includes push-start keyless, but I prefer the key so I can have a single key FOB w/ aftermarket alarm/RS unit.
Like I mentioned above don't even bother with the OEM system under the single fob. It doesn't work past 30' so its pretty much worthless. I'm not sure what Subaru models use this other than WRX but again it's not worth adding to your order unless its the aux fob (long range) or hopefully with the mobile app and then you won't need the second fob anyway.

·
Registered
965 Posts

I believe I've mentioned this as well on here, in addition to on the Outback forum. We went with two fobs after only having one fob do everything because the one fob system is worthless for distance.

So we're going for functionality for our customers, rather than style and not actually working. Which would you prefer we do?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm curious to see if the ability to use the phone app for remote start requires a subscription to StarLink or whatever Internet service is used. If there's an additional subscription fee, I'm A-OK with a 2nd fob. I'm ok with it anyways, as I prefer the added functionality of greater range over a single key fob.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'm curious to see if the ability to use the phone app for remote start requires a subscription to StarLink or whatever Internet service is used. If there's an additional subscription fee, I'm A-OK with a 2nd fob. I'm ok with it anyways, as I prefer the added functionality of greater range over a single key fob.
From what I’ve read there will be a monthly subscription fee to use the mobile app to remote start. The cost (not yet announced) will determine if I sign up for it or not.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The remote services looks to be a yearly fee. If pricing holds true to what it is now Starlink Safety And Security Plus which includes the remote services will be $49 for the first year and $149 a year after that. I’m hoping that in order to use the remote start through the app you don’t need the installed remote start with fob because I won’t carry two fobs so I would only ever start from my smartphone.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ok. So I’m a lil bit crazy and obsessive so I downloaded the brochure and read the fine print on the remote services. Next to remote start it has the fine print code (21) and when you flip to the back cover code (21) simply says requires Keyless Access and Push Button start. It doesn’t say it requires accessory equipment like some of the other fine print codes. Fairly confident at this point that you don’t need the installed remote start to use the app. I’m going to call my dealership and have them remove it from my order.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Ok. So I’m a lil bit crazy and obsessive so I downloaded the brochure and read the fine print on the remote services. Next to remote start it has the fine print code (21) and when you flip to the back cover code (21) simply says requires Keyless Access and Push Button start. It doesn’t say it requires accessory equipment like some of the other fine print codes. Fairly confident at this point that you don’t need the installed remote start to use the app. I’m going to call my dealership and have them remove it from my order.
I may do the same - I sent an email to SOA customer service asking for clarification on what is required if you only want to remote start via the mobile app. I’ll share their response when I hear back.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey thanks but I should have clarified accessories vs. packages. Accessories such as bump cover, trailer hitch, floor mats etc. Just wondering about a full list and the pricing on those items.

I'm being quoted $40,788 on a Touring trim (no available packages and no accessories yet). Is that good?
Could you PM me the dealer please?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just got off of the phone with a salesman and this is what he told me re: remote start through phone app...

The Ascent comes with a complimentary 3-year sub to StarLink Safety Plus. I was told that's a $149 value. There's a Safety & Security Plus option that's usually $249 for 3 years. He didn't know if that'd just be an additional $100. He said StarLink is required for phone app remote start, but he wasn't sure if that meant just Safety Plus. He also didn't know if the factory remote start was required.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Safety & Security Plus package is required for remote start via phone since it has remote lock/unlock, remote horn, and vehicle location. Looking forward to seeing more info here as it comes in!

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring CWP
170 Posts
Interesting - what if the car has no cell service? Does star link use cell to communicate?
Yes, cell service (AT&T I believe) is required where the vehicle is located in order to work. I also asked if an installed remote start was required in order to use the app for the same purpose and the salesperson that I spoke with said yes.

Furthermore, I tweeted @SubaruUSA the same question and received a request for my phone number and email address to follow-up with an answer. (Patiently waiting)

Reactions: Burutoo and kohyuta

·
Registered
598 Posts
Sounds like we have our bases covered to get this answered! Good job team!
This should be a good lesson's learned for SOA to market something without having all the details ironed out for customer support and dealers to speak to customers about. :p

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just received an available accessory list from my dealer (without prices). One thing that stuck out was "additional USB ports". This is for the Limited model I ordered. I don't think that was noted on the other lists I'd seen.

61 - 80 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.