Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
BOOOOOOOOOO

I don't care about the touchscreen. I want to know what else will get the Ascent's motor so I can plan my next purchase lol.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I posted that photo in the 'Ascent or wait for new Outback' thread. I think it looks great, and by great I mean competetive with the industry. I thought Subaru would be sticking with the 8" head unit for a while longer so this is a surprise. I also thought that the new Outback would just get the same interior treatment as the rest of the lineup, but it makes total sense to introduce a new interior design with the new Legacy/Outback. That feature alone could help keep the Outback as viable as possible as the Ascent and Forester age. Then the cycle starts again...

Before anybody calls it an iPad, please don't. At least this design has physical temp and volume controls.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Nice...too bad the exterior will probably be ultra conservative.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
So Subaru's flag ship is not going to get the new toys. Nice. I am starting to see why they are dragging behind everyone.
How do you put the new toys in a car that was released prior? Time machine? :grin:

Joking aside, I see this as a strategic move by Subaru.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Subaru had to upgrade the head unit from the current Outback because it is killing Subaru's marks for reliability. Subaru is not looking back.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So Subaru's flag ship is not going to get the new toys. Nice. I am starting to see why they are dragging behind everyone.

They all get a little unique upgrade each time around. The Impreza/Crosstrek got the 3.0 interface touchscreen and global platform, Ascent got the new 2.4 Turbo engine, the Forester got the face recognition, Outback/Legacy will get the new touchscreen.

They put the technology out as soon as they can on the next vehicle that is due up in the redesign cycle.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
They all get a little unique upgrade each time around. The Impreza/Crosstrek got the 3.0 interface touchscreen and global platform, Ascent got the new 2.4 Turbo engine, the Forester got the face recognition, Outback/Legacy will get the new touchscreen.

They put the technology out as soon as they can on the next vehicle that is due up in the redesign cycle.
That's all too cooincidental to be put out 'as soon as they can'. Looks like a planned rollout of features to make each release 'special', which is smart on Subaru's part.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
That's all too cooincidental to be put out 'as soon as they can'. Looks like a planned rollout of features to make each release 'special', which is smart on Subaru's part.

"As soon as they can" was meaning, "Product is ready ---> Forester is next redesign so they get it." We are saying the same thing, I apologize if it wasn't clearly spoken. Yes, it is very well planned out. If a particle product isn't ready for the model it was originally designed for, then the next redesign in line gets it. Assuming that vehicle was meant to get that particle product in the first place.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I am definitely not a fan of Ford, but they do some things right. You can upgrade older head units to Apple Carplay by simply buying a new USB outlet (fitted with Apple Carplay) and installing it. Installation takes around 5 minutes.

You can also upgrade older (2016) head units to the newest (2019) head unit by purchasing the unit from Ford - completely plug and play!! That is literally impossible on vehicles from Honda, Toyota, and unfortunately Subaru.

·
Registered
559 Posts
NO NO NO. I do NOT want touchscreen for my HVAC and just about everything else. I like knobs and buttons.

One of the big reasons I passed on the Honda Pilot (besides being ugly) was the stupid push button transmission gear shifter.

·
Banned
145 Posts
Like it or not the interior looks at least from the pic more upscale than Ascent. Didn't Subaru say the Ascent was the flagship?
With most other manufactures they only trickle down new tech. Which can create at nightmare in troubleshooting problems. Subaru seems to release in stages across the lineup. Which is not a bad idea. The ascent will have a more or less proven information head until the update.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I was a little jealous but I remembered how much more I prefer dials/knobs over touchscreens. Then I felt better.

·
Registered
646 Posts
They have to. With everything being on the same chassis and sharing most of the interior parts and pieces it is hard to tell them apart. Drive a Impreza and a new Forester. With the exception of ride height and GC it is hard to tell the difference

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Wow big giant iPad - cool looking.

I'm an analog guy, really traditional and simple type, and the current setup on my Limited is overloaded ... just too many freakin' buttons on there.

I'll probably jump on the bandwagon of having the iPad-like screen in a decade or two.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I like both

Buttons make it easy to remember where they are and how to manipulate them by feel without taking your eyes off the road. Touchscreen can be updated with software nearly instantly.
Both positives and negatives at the same time.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think it looks great (and younger consumers will agree). And from a marketing perspective, you have to do something that is going to differentiate the Outback from the Ascent and the Outback from the Forester. Otherwise, the models are going to cannibalize each other. It's no different than how each trim within a model offers something different in an effort to entice the buyer to pay just a little more.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts