Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
New Ascent owner, have had car 3 weeks and really love it.

Yesterday, parked car in the garage around 2PM. This morning at 5AM or so, woke up and went to turn on the furnace using my Nest app and noticed on my garage camera that the power rear gate was up on the Ascent(!?!!?). Went to the garage to find the gate up and the power to my battery drained.

In reviewing the Nest security video, I can see that the car opened the gate at 5:12 PM yesterday all by itself. Keyfobs were hanging in our mudroom, about 15 feet from the car. No ghosts, demons or goblins were captured in the video.

I'm not entirely surprised that the rear gate would drain the battery but needless to say was very surprised to find the gate up. Took the car to the dealer (who is great and enjoyed the demonic video I showed them) but they couldn't find anything wrong. The only thought is swapping out some of the sensors on the side of the gate, thinking that perhaps they malfunctioned somehow. I suppose the control pad for the gate could also be the cause. We have the app enabled for remote start/unlock, etc. but there is no function in the app that controls the rear gate and we did not use the app in the past 24 hours in any event.

Anyone seen anything like this?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Ours opened one night. I assumed I had the key in my pocket and pushed the button by accident.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ours opened one night. I assumed I had the key in my pocket and pushed the button by accident.
Interesting. Wouldn't it be difficult for it to happen by accident even with the key in your pocket? It requires holding the button down for 3 seconds if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Interesting. Wouldn't it be difficult for it to happen by accident even with the key in your pocket? It requires holding the button down for 3 seconds if I'm not mistaken.
sit down, other key in pocket pushes button. Not out of the realm of possibilities. Since then I've been taking it out of my pocket and hanging it when I get inside. Hasn't happened since.

·
Administrator
11,392 Posts
sit down, other key in pocket pushes button. Not out of the realm of possibilities. Since then I've been taking it out of my pocket and hanging it when I get inside. Hasn't happened since.
I've unlocked mine that way, and I've set off the panic mode that way. So far, lucky I haven't triggered the lift gate, especially since there's no clearance behind my car where I park at work. :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had to rearrange my key ring because I kept hitting the alarm button for my wife’s car. Whoops.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts