Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up 8 passenger limited. We have 3 kids 2 in car seats still and one in booster. Booster kid in third row, car seats in second. Before purchasing we did test to see if second row slid forward enough for older kid to get into third row despite it not having a tilt and slide with car seat function like some competitors. There was enough room. However it seems the only way to slide seat forward with car seat in place is by handle under front of seat. I think the other levers require that the seat tilt a little first before sliding which it can’t do with car seat in place. So there doesn’t seem to be a way for him to exit third row without someone helping. Am I missing something? If not may need to re-configure our seating arrangement.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Unfortunately you are not missing anything. Fortunately they're many possibilities for seating configurations in the 8

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately you are not missing anything. Fortunately they're many possibilities for seating configurations in the 8
Thanks that's what I concluded too. Right now we have child lock on so an adult has to open doors from outside anyway. If it doesn't work out we'll re-arrange. Car is otherwise great so far. Coming from a 2015 Pathfinder which served its purpose but nothing special to drive. Had 2 prior outbacks before 3 kids but with the Ascent were able to come back to a Subaru. Yay.

·
Registered
303 Posts
One thing to consider is if you’re ok if the two seats in the second row sit side by side (drivers and middle), leaving the passenger side seat of the second row empty.

Because of the 60/40 split, this configuration would (in theory) allow you to still have the full functionality of the second row slide forward and fold down to allow access to the third row.

Not sure if it would actually work in reality or if the two second row kids are ok sitting so close together (we had to separate our kids in the second row cause the younger one kept on annoying the older one LOL).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One thing to consider is if you’re ok if the two seats in the second row sit side by side (drivers and middle), leaving the passenger side seat of the second row empty.

Because of the 60/40 split, this configuration would (in theory) allow you to still have the full functionality of the second row slide forward and fold down to allow access to the third row.

Not sure if it would actually work in reality or if the two second row kids are ok sitting so close together (we had to separate our kids in the second row cause the younger one kept on annoying the older one LOL).
Thank. I had the same idea. When we first looked at car we took our narrowest car seats (diono) to dealer and tried it but there was not enough clearance. I would like to try again though just in case. I don’t think there are narrower car seats than those but can look into that too.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Thank. I had the same idea. When we first looked at car we took our narrowest car seats (diono) to dealer and tried it but there was not enough clearance. I would like to try again though just in case. I don’t think there are narrower car seats than those but can look into that too.
Just FYI - we have Diono car seats in the back and you can fit three across side by side. They are quite a bit narrower than some of the other car seats we've seen. Probably not worth getting new car seats though if yours don't currently fit...

Also, in theory, maybe the booster kid can sit next to or in between the two car seats?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just FYI - we have Diono car seats in the back and you can fit three across side by side. They are quite a bit narrower than some of the other car seats we've seen. Probably not worth getting new car seats though if yours don't currently fit...

Also, in theory, maybe the booster kid can sit next to or in between the two car seats?
Like I mentioned above we are using diono car seats. Going to try again just in case I was too fast to rule it out when we tried at the dealer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was able to sort of get the 2 dionos installed in center and drivers side but wasn't happy with it that way. The back of the drivers side diono hung off the seat back a little (base was ok) and was almost up against the door when close. Additionally while you could slide the passenger seat it rubbed against the center diono quite a bit so wasn't so easy and worried about damaging the leather. So unless there is something narrower than diono will just keep things how they are.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I was able to sort of get the 2 dionos installed in center and drivers side but wasn't happy with it that way. The back of the drivers side diono hung off the seat back a little (base was ok) and was almost up against the door when close. Additionally while you could slide the passenger seat it rubbed against the center diono quite a bit so wasn't so easy and worried about damaging the leather. So unless there is something narrower than diono will just keep things how they are.
Did you install the Diono's in the center and drivers side both using the LATCH? If so, this cannot be done, as the center requires borrowing the LATCH from the drivers side seat. One of those seats must be installed using a seat belt. Is it possible to put the booster in the middle between the two Dionos?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you install the Diono's in the center and drivers side both using the LATCH? If so, this cannot be done, as the center requires borrowing the LATCH from the drivers side seat. One of those seats must be installed using a seat belt. Is it possible to put the booster in the middle between the two Dionos?
Right there is no way to use latch for both. Used shoulder for center. Yes a small booster can fit between car seats. We plan to do this (as we did in our Pathfinder) for car trips when we need the entire 3rd row down for luggage. For day to day use my older son (9) likes to have the third row to himself away from his twin 5yo brothers. Also we were looking for a way to easier access and get out of third row in general. We'll manage but having the tilt and slide function with a car seat installed is one feature I can't figure out why they left out for a new model. Aside from that the car is so much nicer to drive than our 2015 Pathfinder and all the safety tech and other tech is really good. We are really going to like this car for both day to day and long trips. Nice to be back is a Subaru.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Right there is no way to use latch for both. Used shoulder for center. Yes a small booster can fit between car seats. We plan to do this (as we did in our Pathfinder) for car trips when we need the entire 3rd row down for luggage. For day to day use my older son (9) likes to have the third row to himself away from his twin 5yo brothers. Also we were looking for a way to easier access and get out of third row in general. We'll manage but having the tilt and slide function with a car seat installed is one feature I can't figure out why they left out for a new model. Aside from that the car is so much nicer to drive than our 2015 Pathfinder and all the safety tech and other tech is really good. We are really going to like this car for both day to day and long trips. Nice to be back is a Subaru.
We are able to fit 2 primo viaggio 35 infant seats next to each other in the 60 portion of the 60/40 second row seating by sharing the second latch from the Driver side. This way an adult can comfortably sit on the 40 portion of the 2nd row. It is a very tight fit, but does work. Getting them both tight enough was a struggle with them so close to each other.

I cannot see any convertible seats that are rear facing fit next to each other like that.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Right there is no way to use latch for both. Used shoulder for center. Yes a small booster can fit between car seats. We plan to do this (as we did in our Pathfinder) for car trips when we need the entire 3rd row down for luggage...
Late to this thread but the above is why I own a Touring with Captain's chairs ... 2nd row has a Clek Foonf (forward facing) and Keyfit 30 base, then 3rd row has a Clek Foonf (also forward facing) AND I BOUGHT A CARGO BOX :sad: Seriously, though, I have a SkyBox which is a PITA so I will prolly add a Thule Transporter when we embark on our second trip which requires luggage.

... having the tilt and slide function with a car seat installed is one feature I can't figure out why they left out for a new model ...
IMHO this is intentional and preferred. The second row (Captains) are easy to slide forward with the manual handle and don't jack up the seat settings which would 'break' a car seat configuration. And if you have a car seat in the 2nd row, moving / sliding the 2nd row should require adult involvement. :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I feel your pain. We have twin toddlers, so we got the Touring. Our older son can get through to the middle and then to the back row down that middle aisle. He likes this arrangement well enough. The seats are forward facing, but you can't release them from the back, so when my mom rode with us we had someone use the front handle on the middle row seat to slide it forward for her, as she did not feel ready to clamber in like her grandson. That did make enough room for her, but it did have to be done by someone else, she cannot do it herself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts