Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just looked under the car and noticed that exhaust pipes (including outside of the catalytic converters, or whatever these big thingies are) have lots of rust on the outside.
In fact as much or more than 3 yo Forester.

Car has only 7k miles on it and as far I know, WA state does not use salt during winter (but I may be wrong here).

Is this normal?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
I just looked under the car and noticed that exhaust pipes (including outside of the catalytic converters, or whatever these big thingies are) have lots of rust on the outside.

Car has only 7k miles on it and as far I know, WA state does not use salt during winter (but I may be wrong here).

Is this normal?
Absolutely no rust on mine, and I live 200 meters from the water here in Anacortes, WA. Six months in this location and 6,500 miles.

·
Registered
495 Posts

Is this normal?
Stupid question for me to ask, but are you sure it is rust? I mean metal will change color with all the heating and cooling in the exhaust system, so you may see different colors there. Add in just plain old road debris that gets stuck to the pipes and it may look like rust, but it is just dirt. I don't under carriage wash my car but I just looked to see quite a bit of the road on the pipes, especially from that snow storm we had in months past.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Leon, I have rust on my 2020 pipes too (Ascent is six months old). What did you find out from the dealership on yours? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Most OEM exhausts are now stainless steel. There are many grades of stainless steel and some will develop surface rust, but will still last for many years. The original OEM exhaust system on my 2010 Forester is still working fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks like rust to me. I have emailed Subaru and will ask dealer when I go to the dealership.
What was the outcome of asking the dealership? I have the same thing, a 2020 sti. The whole exhaust is rusted. Seems odd isnt there a corrosion warranty on this car? Is it built as poorly as an early 1980’s Audi?

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
What was the outcome of asking the dealership? I have the same thing, a 2020 sti. The whole exhaust is rusted. Seems odd isnt there a corrosion warranty on this car? Is it built as poorly as an early 1980’s Audi?
Inconel
The Williams Advanced Engineering-developed flat-six in the Singer DLS uses an Inconel exhaust
The Williams Advanced Engineering-developed flat-six in the Singer DLS uses an Inconel exhaust

Known as a ‘superalloy’, Inconel (a trademark, hence the capital letter) is primarily made from nickel and chromium. Its strength and high melting point make it popular in the aerospace industry, and it’s also often used in nuclear reactor cores.

F1 car exhausts have been made from Inconel 625 for years, partly because the material allows them to be built extremely thin and therefore light, and also because of the great heat resistance properties.

It’s the F1 use which should be a clue to the downside of Inconel exhausts, however: it’s an expensive material to produce, and a very difficult metal to work with, making fabricating an exhaust from the stuff a labour-intensive process.

The Ferrari 488 Pista and Pista Spider have exhaust manifolds made from Inconel
The Ferrari 488 Pista and Pista Spider have exhaust manifolds made from Inconel

It should come as no surprise that cars factory-fitted with Inconel systems are on the exotic end of the spectrum: the Ferrari 488 Pista and the Singer Dynamics and Lightweighting Study re-imagined Porsche 964 are two recent examples.

Aftermarket systems do exist for those with large amounts of disposable income. Kline produces an Inconel 625 exhaust for the Lamborghini Gallardo, for example, but it costs around $11145. Ouch.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,160 Posts
What was the outcome of asking the dealership? I have the same thing, a 2020 sti. The whole exhaust is rusted.
Are you sure it's not just discoloration? The exhaust system on our Ascent is not quite shiny like new, and it's not silver/chrome colored anymore, but it's not rust. Do you have any pictures of your STI's exhaust rust? I'd be curious to see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts