Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, first post!

I'm experiencing long (4+ second) cranking times right after long trips. For instance, driving 1.5hrs and stopping for a snack. Get back in the car, and it happens. The car has not yet failed to start, just cranks excessively.

The facts:

• 5 occurrences in the first month of ownership
  • Happens in hot (90F) and cool (50F) conditions
  • No ECU codes logged as checked by OBDII and the Torque App on Android
  • Voltmeter shows alternator is functioning properly, producing 14v
  • Battery voltage does not drop much overnight even in freezing conditions
  • 2019 Ascent Touring bought used with 16,100 miles, now at 17,100. No history provided by former/original owner

I brought her in to my local dealer for unrelated issues (No AC cooling to driver vents, noisy seat cooling fan replacement) and brought this up to the service department. I even provided them a video showing one of the occurrences. They were unable to replicate the condition and a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) check was negative. The ECU was not showing any codes and the battery passed their "testing". They stated there was nothing they could do.

Is anyone else experiencing something like this?

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
There is a brand new TSB about this.

TSB 11-192-19

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a brand new TSB about this.

View attachment 2020

TSB 11-192-19
That's good news. Thanks for letting me know and replying. I just called to schedule that TSB to be performed. Looks like DTC code P1604 is mentioned in the TSB, yet my vehicle is not logging any codes. I'll update when I get it serviced.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update... I had the car in the dealership for the final HVAC fix and had them perform the TSB. Had to get SOA involved to get the dealership to act. The car was there the week after the TSB was issued, but for some reason they did not bother to check for one even after I complained for the 3rd time and provided video of the excessive cranking. Hopefully this TSB fixes the issue for good. I'll provide another update should that not be the case.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Update... I had the car in the dealership for the final HVAC fix and had them perform the TSB. Had to get SOA involved to get the dealership to act. The car was there the week after the TSB was issued, but for some reason they did not bother to check for one even after I complained for the 3rd time and provided video of the excessive cranking. Hopefully this TSB fixes the issue for good. I'll provide another update should that not be the case.
Sorry to hear that you the dealership let you down, and glad to hear you made SoA aware of it. So far, I have yet to see people who've had the update from the TSB applied indicate that the issue has persisted, so, hopefully that's the end of it.

Please keep us posted either way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts