Subaru Ascent Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Has anyone been able to get the EU Maps for their Ascent? I just move from the US (for my job) and brought my Ascent with me.
Hi, I have other question to you which was for sure solved in othere discusion but I didn´t found any answer which could help me.
I wanna ask about MY SUBARU app.
Did you activate My Subaru app?
And is it still working for you in Europe?

I´m trying to start it up. Firstly I got an issue that My Subaru app is dedicated for North America only. But I was able to find it on the other web that Goodle or Apple store and download it to the phone.
Then there was an issue with registration where you need address from USA or CA. Which I managed too. Right now I´m waiting for evaluation from registration on mysubaru.ca. Because othere requirement was to load confirmation for registration which come from Europe in my case.
But I´m interested if My Subaru works for you even in Europe?
Thank you in advance.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,722 Posts
Since Subaru only produces the Ascent for the North American market, there's not going to be any real support for folks who export them elsewhere. You might be able to jury-rig the MySubaru app to work on your phone, but it's not going to speak to the vehicle because ATT service is not available outside of the US and the vehicle only works on the ATT wireless network.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Since Subaru only produces the Ascent for the North American market, there's not going to be any real support for folks who export them elsewhere. You might be able to jury-rig the MySubaru app to work on your phone, but it's not going to speak to the vehicle because ATT service is not available outside of the US and the vehicle only works on the ATT wireless network.
OK?

And how does this ATT wireless network looks like?
This is some small box conected to the OBD plug in car?
Or how it is solved in the us?

Best regrads

·
Super Moderator
3,722 Posts
There is an embedded SIM for ATT Wireless in the vehicle's cellular radio that's used for remote services like StarLink and the hotspot feature, both requiring subscription. It can't be changed because...it's embedded. There is no solution for you to use these services outside of the US.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Administrator
10,811 Posts
As far as I know, it is not removable, and the system is keyed to AT&T. It may even be an eSIM.

OK thnx.

And do you know where this SIM from ATT is embedded?
Could I see it?

·
Super Moderator
3,722 Posts
OK thnx.

And do you know where this SIM from ATT is embedded?
Could I see it?
It's not a visible thing...it's embedded which generally means it's literally build into the electronics and not a removable card like in a cell phone. Subaru's cellular communications deal is exclusively with ATT Wireless for the US and since the vehicle is only produced and intended for the North American marketplace, they made it a fixed configuration. Maps are a similar situation. So are FM radio stations.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
It's not a visible thing...it's embedded which generally means it's literally build into the electronics and not a removable card like in a cell phone. Subaru's cellular communications deal is exclusively with ATT Wireless for the US and since the vehicle is only produced and intended for the North American marketplace, they made it a fixed configuration. Maps are a similar situation. So are FM radio stations.
OK thnx for the info.
Because here in europe you can buy small black box with e-sim which is conected tot he OBDII and you can have access to the car information via operators app or have an wifi hot spot in a car.
I was looking for any information how it is solved in Ascend and don´t find any. But when it is build in car somewhere it is pitty :)
thnx again

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ya I think it is either a none editable sim, or a built in one, either way I don’t think it can be changed,

your other question about the app, I don’t use it because it does everything through the cellular or the satellite and neither are set up to work in Europ,

·
Super Moderator
3,722 Posts
Ya I think it is either a none editable sim, or a built in one, either way I don’t think it can be changed,
It's already been stated that there is no way to change the embedded SIM to anything other than ATT which is US-only. When you combine this with the inability to load non-North America maps and differences in radio frequencies, only a total head replacement would potentially provide for localized services outside of North America and that's a very difficult thing to do because of the level of vehicle integration to the head units. Unless and until Subaru decides to market the Ascent outside of North America, it's probably not the best vehicle to consider moving to the EU or other non-North American geographies.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The new Outback for EU market has a Harman Kardon head unit as an option, hope it will be easier to update maps now.

·
Administrator
10,811 Posts
The new Outback for EU market has a Harman Kardon head unit as an option, hope it will be easier to update maps now.
Apologies, but no. It, like the US ones, will have a Denso head unit, with very different software (than ours) by Harman Kardon, and (for the 576W package) an amp and speakers provided by Harman Kardon.

It's a different generation head unit, and quite different than ours.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi, I have other question to you which was for sure solved in othere discusion but I didn´t found any answer which could help me.
I wanna ask about MY SUBARU app.
Did you activate My Subaru app?
And is it still working for you in Europe?

I´m trying to start it up. Firstly I got an issue that My Subaru app is dedicated for North America only. But I was able to find it on the other web that Goodle or Apple store and download it to the phone.
Then there was an issue with registration where you need address from USA or CA. Which I managed too. Right now I´m waiting for evaluation from registration on mysubaru.ca. Because othere requirement was to load confirmation for registration which come from Europe in my case.
But I´m interested if My Subaru works for you even in Europe?
Thank you in advance.
no it does not work, did not make a huge effort in trying to make it work though

·
Registered
2021 ascent limited ice silver
75 Posts
Dear all.

I´m from Europe and like a big Subaru fan I ordered Ascent 2020 which is on the way to us right now.
Because that will be out 7th Subaru I know that there where every time some possibility because of the GPS map change.
In our present Outback MY2016 there is SD card in a slot where you have all maps for Europe and when you are with your car in the States you can only change SD card for North American maps and you can use your GPS. But from MY2018 if I´m right including Ascent 2020 you have all map software on disc in the car so you can change easily only the SD card.
Do anybody know if it is possible to rewrite North American maps which are in the Ascent 2020 right now and put Europe maps in the system?
Where we can take these EU maps? It could be the same with Outback 2019 EU version. These cars have the same Starlink system if I´m right.
And which could be procedure with this rewriting?
I was in contact with Subaru USA, Subaru Canada, Subaru Erope and Subaru global and get every time the same answer " this car isn´t for European market"
It doesn´t matter that I wasn´t even asking about but this is an global phrase which they have to answer :-(.
I wrote even to the Harman Cardon and Tom Tom but every time I get the same answer " you have to contact subaru because of this issue".
So could anybody help me with this issue?
thank you in advance.
radši bych zůstal při googlmap ten tom tom nestojí za nic ...

21 - 35 of 35 Posts