Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Nicely integrated device. But where would you mount the detector on the Ascent? I have an old Passport 9500i, and it barely squeezes above the mirror on the driver's side, but I can't get the mount to fit in there - would need to craft something custom.

Or maybe hang the whole thing below the mirror, strapping to the mirror post?

F.S.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have it all the way on the bottom to the left some, problem is I had to use a sun-glass cloth over the top buttons because of the reflection of the sun, but I am out of the eye sight area from the manual. I will upload a pic in a few.

I am looking at this dashcam.

I get my Ascent in a few weeks so I still need to determine where to mount this.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is a picture. Only spot that avoids the eye sight restriction.

Nicely integrated device. But where would you mount the detector on the Ascent? I have an old Passport 9500i, and it barely squeezes above the mirror on the driver's side, but I can't get the mount to fit in there - would need to craft something custom.

Or maybe hang the whole thing below the mirror, strapping to the mirror post?

F.S.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really like it wonder if I could tap power off the mirror, I did have a mount in my old car that went around the rear view mirror and grab power for the mirror. Anyone on the forums tried this yet or can chime in. I included the eye sight photo as well.

I am looking at this dashcam.

I get my Ascent in a few weeks so I still need to determine where to mount this.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here some more info, interesting sometimes I rent cars as well instead of flying, and this would quickly switch over. Thinking of pulling the plug today and being a beta tester.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
95 Posts
I recently installed the VIOFO A129 dual camera kit. I mounted the front camera directly behind the drivers side of the rear view mirror, just high enough so the lens is shooting just under the black mesh area (frit). I took the power cable to the drivers side pillar by taking down the overhead console and routing around the eyesight under the head liner, routed it down behind the A post pillar and behind the airbag, removing the end panel from the dash I used a small fish tape I had to pull it down and route it under the dash. Tapped into fuse 7 and got acc power and battery as I don't intend to use the parking feature.
I ran the rear camera cable along the passenger side poking it in at joint between headliner and side moulding. I made sure to avoid getting cable in front of airbags, ran it over to overhead console around eyesight and came out in area of mirror post. Make sure you get the correct end at the front camera it is angled and allows the front camera to sit a little more behind the mirror.
Getting the cable through the grommet at the lift gate is a bit of a challenge, but if you just pull the grommet off the mount, with a small flat screwdriver you can pop the clip out, put it on the grommet and just pop it back in. Routed cable and cut a small notch in the top panel in liftgate to get it out from behind. the camera just fit under the moulding and between the two defroster traces on the window.
It only takes a second to connect my phone to the camera with wifi and I can view or copy any of the video segments to my phone.
I ordered the optional GPS mount so the camera just snaps and slides onto that, so I can remove the camera very quickly too.
I'll try to take a couple of photos and post.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, order Blackvue coming tomorrow. Might have to ask you some questions. Did the Pillar A post just pull back and unsnap? I want to try to get it installed before my last ski trip this weekend. Tks.

I recently installed the VIOFO A129 dual camera kit. I mounted the front camera directly behind the drivers side of the rear view mirror, just high enough so the lens is shooting just under the black mesh area (frit). I took the power cable to the drivers side pillar by taking down the overhead console and routing around the eyesight under the head liner, routed it down behind the A post pillar and behind the airbag, removing the end panel from the dash I used a small fish tape I had to pull it down and route it under the dash. Tapped into fuse 7 and got acc power and battery as I don't intend to use the parking feature.
I ran the rear camera cable along the passenger side poking it in at joint between headliner and side moulding. I made sure to avoid getting cable in front of airbags, ran it over to overhead console around eyesight and came out in area of mirror post. Make sure you get the correct end at the front camera it is angled and allows the front camera to sit a little more behind the mirror.
Getting the cable through the grommet at the lift gate is a bit of a challenge, but if you just pull the grommet off the mount, with a small flat screwdriver you can pop the clip out, put it on the grommet and just pop it back in. Routed cable and cut a small notch in the top panel in liftgate to get it out from behind. the camera just fit under the moulding and between the two defroster traces on the window.
It only takes a second to connect my phone to the camera with wifi and I can view or copy any of the video segments to my phone.
I ordered the optional GPS mount so the camera just snaps and slides onto that, so I can remove the camera very quickly too.
I'll try to take a couple of photos and post.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have a Garmin 45 in my S4 and it's decent but not spectacular. I bought a mirror tap that has pins you slip into the 12V plug for the auto dimming mirror and then a regulator to make 5V since the camera plugs into USB.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks, order Blackvue coming tomorrow. Might have to ask you some questions. Did the Pillar A post just pull back and unsnap? I want to try to get it installed before my last ski trip this weekend. Tks.
I found there is a retaining strap much like a ziptie that prevents you from completely removing the A pillar cover, I couldn't get it to release easily, but I was able to route the wires I needed around it just kind of hangs there in the way. I assume it has the tie to prevent it from hitting you in the head if the airbag deploys. Make sure you get cables behind the air bag. I found the easiest route was up very close to the windshield.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.