Subaru Ascent Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
As to the water... (21 Series)

You bet. I sold my 2018 Scamp 16 this past December for more than I paid new for it. Long wait lists and high demands are a seller's friend.
I'm not in a hurry and probably going to buy something significantly cheaper for the initial experiment into TTs. There are so many possible directions to go. One of my friends went up and down the size scale of self-contained before settling on a 28 footer. He actually would tow his boat and rent cars at his destination, yet another possibility.

Looks like a very good option, but I'm stuck on wanting a slide. It makes so much diff in how roomy it feels inside.
Yup. Lots of great small/light options out there but I too want a slide and a bathroom, preferably dry. Going to wait out the pandemic supply crunch and probably get a GeoPro in a year or so. Currently using RVShare to try different things out.

Yup. Lots of great small/light options out there but I too want a slide and a bathroom, preferably dry. Going to wait out the pandemic supply crunch and probably get a GeoPro in a year or so. Currently using RVShare to try different things out.
Thanks for that tip for a non-ownership option. The rentals through RV dealers seem very restrictive and they really tried getting an order for a sale.
Looks like a good resource, but wish they had more info on weights (and floor plans) in the listings.

Looks like a good resource, but wish they had more info on weights (and floor plans) in the listings.
Yeah, that's definitely a drag. But it's easy enough to Google it and see. They do include GVWR which I use as a starting point. If I find a trailer I like in the 3-4000# range, I will Google it AND message the owner since a lot of them know the details off the top of their head.

Yeah, that's definitely a drag. But it's easy enough to Google it and see. They do include GVWR which I use as a starting point. If I find a trailer I like in the 3-4000# range, I will Google it AND message the owner since a lot of them know the details off the top of their head.
Thanks I'll look closer, I missed the gvwr

I'm thankful we got ours when we did, looking now would just be disheartening. The affordable RVs and TTs are usually unmaintained and showing alot of issues: leaks, delamination...etc.

I would recommend against a slide simply because of the weight it adds. For the ascent that extra weight is a precious commodity and most slides would only accommodate a small dinette in the sub 5k lb weight range.

As far as warranties go, I wouldn’t have that as a make or break item. Most dealers will take months to get a warranty issue checked/approved/repaired. So even a 2yr warranty isn't going to give you much actual assurance. Read plenty of reviews and be prepared for the maintenance. That is a place where fiberglass shells and airstreams have a distinct advantage in reliability. They will likely never leak, where as any rubber roof model will most definitely leak at some point. Just be realistic and be prepared.

I'm thankful we got ours when we did, looking now would just be disheartening. The affordable RVs and TTs are usually unmaintained and showing alot of issues: leaks, delamination...etc.

I would recommend against a slide simply because of the weight it adds. For the ascent that extra weight is a precious commodity and most slides would only accommodate a small dinette in the sub 5k lb weight range.
I go back and forth on the slide TBH. For us, on the models we've looked at, the slide will provide more floor space which is what we actually need. We've got 350# of dog that need places to lay down at night so the slide gives us that in most layouts.

We've got 350# of dog that need places to lay down at night so the slide gives us that in most layouts.
I only have 100#s of dog but their beds take space. I'd like to be able to get to the head in the middle of the night without tripping over them. I've been looking at non-slide floor plans and while I don't need the extra beds, a bunkhouse might be an option if I can remove the lower to stow the dogs.

I only have 100#s of dog but their beds take space. I'd like to be able to get to the head in the middle of the night without tripping over them. I've been looking at non-slide floor plans and while I don't need the extra beds, a bunkhouse might be an option if I can remove the lower to stow the dogs.
I'm looking at various trailers, my must have is a toilet and a queen sized bed. We have two greyhounds that take up space and was thinking maybe bunks would help stow one off the floor, the other could sleep on the fold down dinette bed. Slide outs do seem to add more space but lots more weight. I think we are just going to rent a few different ones to see what works best, as trying to find ANY used trailer at the moment is not doable. Literally had one RV place laugh at me when I asked, but took no offense, knew it was a long shot.

I'm looking at various trailers, my must have is a toilet and a queen sized bed. We have two greyhounds that take up space and was thinking maybe bunks would help stow one off the floor, the other could sleep on the fold down dinette bed. Slide outs do seem to add more space but lots more weight. I think we are just going to rent a few different ones to see what works best, as trying to find ANY used trailer at the moment is not doable. Literally had one RV place laugh at me when I asked, but took no offense, knew it was a long shot.
Yup, dry bath and a place for the dogs. The dogs are the whole reason for the TT. If there were no dogs, we'd travel by plane and stay in hotels. 😀

Yup, dry bath and a place for the dogs. The dogs are the whole reason for the TT. If there were no dogs, we'd travel by plane and stay in hotels. 😀
100% true. But mine do stay at hotels too, funny seeing people freak out seeing a big dog in a glass elevator. HAHA! They gave him boiled eggs from the buffet breakfast. We plan to explore many of the national parks, so just makes sense to use a trailer.

As to the water... (21 Series)

View attachment 12222
I have an Escape 19 on order and have found everyone there to be extremely helpful. They have been very quick to answer questions
and very knowledgeable about every aspect of their trailers. You can pick and choose your options to basically have a custom built camper.
Of course the downside is a long waiting list, up to two years.

I have an Escape 19 on order and have found everyone there to be extremely helpful. They have been very quick to answer questions
and very knowledgeable about every aspect of their trailers. You can pick and choose your options to basically have a custom built camper.
Of course the downside is a long waiting list, up to two years.
New member here, looking forward to see how you like it. They really have some great configurations/options. Currently looking at Escape 19 for a purchase down the line, but before that I am thinking of purchasing an Ascent Limited to tow. My poor 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5 is pulling my 2021 13' Scamp Layout 2 and constantly near my tongue limit at 200lbs. On a side not, has anyone weighed the Ascent Limited/Touring Rear Axle unloaded to see what the GAW starts out at? I saw this one post that had a trailer attached and it seemed to add up to a spare 476 pounds on GAWR-R. Towing rear axle sag
Thanks

I just received a text that my 2022 Ascent Limited ordered 7/31 has finally been delivered and I need to order a break controller for my Escape 21C. There are so many post about which one is the best one and I hope I can get the latest recommendation from the forum.

I just received a text that my 2022 Ascent Limited ordered 7/31 has finally been delivered and I need to order a break controller for my Escape 21C. There are so many post about which one is the best one and I hope I can get the latest recommendation from the forum.
The two most popular remain the Tekonshia P3 and the Redarc. Some folks have embraced one of the new wireless units, but there's a premium cost to that...very much worth if if you need to move between tow vehicles, but "for me", I'd stick with the regular type.

Just saw this thread. Late to the discussion. I have a 2020 Ascent LImited with tow package. I also have a 2019 Scamp 16 Layout 6 camper. I put in a deoposit for an Escape 17B on Black Friday this year. Estimate delivery time is August 2023. Even thought I initially wanted a E17B, I'm also considering a 19. I love my Scamp but always wanted an Escape.

I'm from NY so I'll most likely have the camper deliver to me or I'll go pick it up somewhere mid-west and camp my way back. The best gas mileage I had while towing the Scamp was 28mpg on the highway. That's the best I ever had. Driving local, not even towing, I get about 13-14mpg.

I got some contacts for the Escape ambassador program. I'll probably reach out to them sometime in the spring to visit their trailer. I love the idea of the 17B with a full bunk bed. The 19 only has a cot style bunk, not a true bunk.

Anyone else here have an Escape on order? Which model you're looking to get? Those that have them, what do you like about your model?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone.

-Peter

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.