Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I’m about 1000 miles in on my new 2019 Limited picked up 5/30. So far I love the car with only a few gripes. The first being that I’m getting nowhere near the estimated gas mileage. I live in Los Angeles, so lots of stop and go city driving. That being said, my average MPG fluctuates from 12-16. Pretty shitty even for the city (see what I did there?). Second, and maybe this is just the break in period, but sometimes the brakes make a grinding vibrating sound if applied a little too quickly. Any thoughts?
I haven’t checked the door hinge seal alignment issues I read about in another thread but I’m assuming it’s the same.
And one quirk I find odd - why can’t you turn on the brights when set to auto headlights ? Every car I’ve ever owned could do that. Instead I have to set them to the normal “on” position to turn on the brights. Thanks for your insights.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I’m about 1000 miles in...nowhere near the estimated gas mileage.
Second, and maybe this is just the break in period, but sometimes the brakes make a grinding vibrating sound if applied a little too quickly. Any thoughts?
I haven’t checked the door hinge seal alignment issues I read about in another thread but I’m assuming it’s the same.
And one quirk I find odd - why can’t you turn on the brights when set to auto headlights ?
1: Normal - typically takes 3,000 - 5,000 miles to get what you expect.
2: Possibly rust coming off, otherwise also typically normal - don't slam them on so hard...
3: No clue
4: You probably have automatic high beams, if you don't have a base model. Which means you simply put your headlights on auto and flip the lever forward. The car will put the brights on if there's no oncoming traffic or you're in a dark area on its own.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Hi all,
I’m about 1000 miles in on my new 2019 Limited picked up 5/30. So far I love the car with only a few gripes. The first being that I’m getting nowhere near the estimated gas mileage. I live in Los Angeles, so lots of stop and go city driving. That being said, my average MPG fluctuates from 12-16. Pretty shitty even for the city (see what I did there?). Second, and maybe this is just the break in period, but sometimes the brakes make a grinding vibrating sound if applied a little too quickly. Any thoughts?
And one quirk I find odd - why can’t you turn on the brights when set to auto headlights ? Every car I’ve ever owned could do that. Instead I have to set them to the normal “on” position to turn on the brights. Thanks for your insights.
I've been consistently getting 20MPG since the day I got it. 12-16mpg is possible if you race your Ascent thru the horrible traffic in LA.

The daytime running lights are already bright-- what else do you need? Lol... I'm kidding, I think you meant to say high-beam light, right? If so, mine works fine on "Auto".

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thats exactly what i get in MPG. 1500 miles ago (i have about 2700 on the car) i reset my both A&B trips where MPG was at 12, and last 1500 i get 14. I live in NYC. So i think its what we are going to get no matter how you drive. But, once you hit highway, i went on 120 miles trip, it reached 19 mpg.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
My mixed driving in the Denver metro area results in about 22, 23 MPG. I have on a 100 mile trip had over 30 MPG. 2019 Limited 5800 miles. I suspect some programming needs adjustment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I really appreciate your commentary I will bring it up to the Subaru agents handling my case it has to be something to fix this car is a phenomenal car I haven't been this happy in decades

·
Registered
777 Posts
I can definitely relate to your experience. For the first three thousand miles or so, I was averaging about 14.5 overall (probably a 60-40 split highway local). I was very easy on the throttle. I'm around 5600 miles now and my overall mileage has improved to about 18, with the same mix. I did manage one highway trip in the upper twenties (95% highway) but most of my highway trips are in the low mid-twenties still. This is at 70 mph +/- a little bit, usually with adaptive cruise on.

Hard to say if your mileage will ever improve, there are too many variables involved. But hopefully like me you'll start to see slightly better overall mileage as you put the miles on.

other than that, the headlights are great, and the brake feel and performance over all is secure, although I do get some creaking as I come to a stop at lower speeds. I'm used to it now and it doesn't bother me. None of my other cars ever did that however.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just checked MySubaru app and wife's getting an average MPG of 17.8 at 878 miles. I told her to go easy for the first 1k miles for break-in but I'm not always with her :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just finished a vacation trip of 1,200 miles. Averaged over 26 mpg cruising 70+ mph and car loaded with kids a luggage. If you’re averaging low teens something is wrong and I’d get it checked out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My wife is at 14.3 mpg and 2200 miles... some of that can be blamed on idling while picking up kid from school but hard to think it makes that much difference. Regarding taking it in to get looked at, is ‘low mileage’ a reason the dealer would investigate anything?

·
Registered
2 Posts
1: Normal - typically takes 3,000 - 5,000 miles to get what you expect.
2: Possibly rust coming off, otherwise also typically normal - don't slam them on so hard...
3: No clue
4: You probably have automatic high beams, if you don't have a base model. Which means you simply put your headlights on auto and flip the lever forward. The car will put the brights on if there's no oncoming traffic or you're in a dark area on its own.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got close to 2000 miles on my Ascent and getting 15-16 mpg around town but close to 30 on the road (I don't go much over the speed limits). My experience with the better new Japanese cars is that it can take up to 15,000 miles before they are broken in, possibly because they are built with such tight tolerances. I suspect the EPA mileage ratings are based on a broken in vehicle. I have doubts I will ever get 23 mpg around town, but if both mileages go up a few miles I will be happy. Overall, I am very pleased with the Ascent. My only real complaint is with the poorly indexed instruction manuals that make it hard to find things and don't index some basic items where you would expect.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m almost 700 miles into my new 2019 Ascent Touring. My first 2 fill ups were 14 and 15 mpg. Very disappointing. I’m following this thread and hoping for significant improvement as my mileage increases as reported by others. I have notified my local Subaru dealer of my unsatisfactory mpg experience and will bring the car in for analysis if nothing changes. I have also noticed that the engine emits a lot of heat, not enough to move the temperature gauge into the hot zone but still very noticeable when near the hood of the car. Otherwise, the Ascent is performing well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi all,
What's the door hinge seal alignment issue you mention? I've been having an issue with my Ascent for a while where it sounds like the door or window isn't fully tight and the rubber seals are rubbing against each other.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.