Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2019 Ascent touring has had this issue since new. Video linked.

VIDEO CLIP

The issue happens in the following scenario which occurs pretty frequently:

1. Vehicle driven until engine warmed up fully
2. Vehicle shut off and sits for 15 to 90 minutes
3. Vehicle is restarted with engine in a partially warmed state
4. Irregular ticking occurs from the engine bay while in a high idle (~2kRPM)
5. Ticking/rattle stops completely once high idle period finishes and engine drops to low idle (~1kRPM)

Has anyone else had this issue? When I dropped it off for a recent state inspection, I asked the service techs but they said it sounded like fuel injector ticking (without listening to it). It sounds a bit more irregular than fuel injector ticking to me.

I dropped the belly pan during the last oil change hoping to see a loose heat shield or something else rattling, but I could not locate any obvious source of the sound; it sounded like it was coming from inside the block.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
That sounds like your direct injection system. If so, it's normal. Listen to the first few minutes here. Especially starting at 18 seconds.

Most people never hear the sound because you can't really hear it from inside.

·
Registered
731 Posts
It’s the irregular part that is odd. I’ve had a lot of DI/DIT engines from Subaru and BMW and the DI “tick” was typically always “regular”.
Even Robert’s sounds regular.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
It’s the irregular part that is odd. I’ve had a lot of DI/DIT engines from Subaru and BMW and the DI “tick” was typically always “regular”.
Even Robert’s sounds regular.
Mine gets irregular at times. I think whenever it's on the verge of making the tick, it's irregular, while, the rest of the time, it's either quiet or it's regular.

I can't figure out what criteria triggers any of the three behaviors, and that's after almost 52,000 miles of trying to decode it, lol! ??

·
Registered
731 Posts
Well, upon a lot of further research, it seems a LOT of DI engines can have an “erratic” or “irregular” ticking noise. I guess GM’s V8s that go in the Corvettes and Camaros are notorious for extremely loud and erratic DI ticking. So there you have it.

Guess it’s normal OP! As long as the engine isn’t stumbling you’re good.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Well, upon a lot of further research, it seems a LOT of DI engines can have an “erratic” or “irregular” ticking noise. I guess GM’s V8s that go in the Corvettes and Camaros are notorious for extremely loud and erratic DI ticking. So there you have it.

Guess it’s normal OP! As long as the engine isn’t stumbling you’re good.
I was terrified at first, btw. I spent hours researching after the first time I heard it. Scared the heck out of me, especially since I was in the middle of my 8,400 mile road trip.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. When it's in the semi warm, high idle ticking state, a little blip of the throttle takes it away temporarily but it comes back once the rpms settle back to the high idle setpoint. It disappears once shifting into D/R or once the engine automatically drops to low idle after a minute or so.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. When it's in the semi warm, high idle ticking state, a little blip of the throttle takes it away temporarily but it comes back once the rpms settle back to the high idle setpoint. It disappears once shifting into D/R or once the engine automatically drops to low idle after a minute or so.
Yep, that's the DI system clickety clacking away.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I don't think it's that normal. I'd have it checked immediately. Last time I heard a noise like that it was a partially clogged injector. The tick is the hammerhead kicking back on the injector pump. This was on a diesel engine, and when the injector finally got fully clogged, the fuel line going to that cylinder literally cracked in half and spilled fuel all over the place.
Or, you may have a loose screw somewhere and the rattle is not the injectors. But if it is, have it checked.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
I don't think it's that normal. I'd have it checked immediately. Last time I heard a noise like that it was a partially clogged injector. The tick is the hammerhead kicking back on the injector pump. This was on a diesel engine, and when the injector finally got fully clogged, the fuel line going to that cylinder literally cracked in half and spilled fuel all over the place.
Or, you may have a loose screw somewhere and the rattle is not the injectors. But if it is, have it checked.
It's very very normal. You'll hear it in all my outside cam off roading vids. You'll hear it from yours when you're outside after pushing your Ascent a little. You'll find a gazillion references to it across various brands via a Google search.

And it's scary as heck the first time you hear it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
It's very very normal. You'll hear it in all my outside cam off roading vids. You'll hear it from yours when you're outside after pushing your Ascent a little. You'll find a gazillion references to it across various brands via a Google search.

And it's scary as heck the first time you hear it.
Neither my Ascent nor my Audi sound like that. The clicking is barely noticeable in the noise of the engine, you have to pop the hood and pay attention to hear any injection ticking. By standing next to the vehicle it's hard to notice it. But on your video is crazy loud. I really hope my Ascent doesn't start sounding like that, to hear that mess I would've bought a diesel tractor.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Neither my Ascent nor my Audi sound like that. The clicking is barely noticeable in the noise of the engine, you have to pop the hood and pay attention to hear any injection ticking. By standing next to the vehicle it's hard to notice it. But on your video is crazy loud. I really hope my Ascent doesn't start sounding like that, to hear that mess I would've bought a diesel tractor.
Well, in my Ascent's defense, it was after harsh off roading in nearly 100° weather. ?

That aside, it's unnoticeable inside. Had I not had the camera mounted on the hood, I'd never have heard it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts