Subaru Ascent Forum banner

81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Send that to SoA and PLEASE take it to one of the dealerships I suggested and show them the video.
The video should be sufficient for the dealership and the SOA engineer to provide a loaner and work on repairing the issue. I would not want to be driving this vehicle at this point, particularly with kids int he vehicle.

·
Registered
49 Posts
From Robert's advice I took a video, in the video I experienced the slip more than 15 times. Some of them were faint and can't be heard but you can see from the timestamps below what it sounds like.
Wow. Your chain is clearly slipping and that somehow passed the WUV07 recall?

One of the following is true:
1 - the recall was not performed correctly (best case scenario, but troubling),
2 - the tech lied about doing the recall (not good),
3 - the recall is not actually capable o detecting transmissions that have slipped or are slipping (very disturbing).

In any case, I would not drive that car any more until it's fixed. You are at serious risk of abrupt, catastrophic transmission failure which will cause loss of motive power and could cause an accident.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Wow. Your chain is clearly slipping and that somehow passed the WUV07 recall?

One of the following is true:
1 - the recall was not performed correctly (best case scenario, but troubling),
2 - the tech lied about doing the recall (not good),
3 - the recall is not actually capable o detecting transmissions that have slipped or are slipping (very disturbing).

In any case, I would not drive that car any more until it's fixed. You are at serious risk of abrupt, catastrophic transmission failure which will cause loss of motive power and could cause an accident.
I wonder if the recall programming may not be able to correct slippage that has gone too far or too long. Maybe Robert could chime in with some possible explanations as to why it is slipping post programming.
We will all benefit from this great video.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I wonder if the recall programming may not be able to correct slippage that has gone too far or too long. Maybe Robert could chime in with some possible explanations as to why it is slipping post programming.
We will all benefit from this great video.
Before we speculate too much he should verify that the recall was done correctly. The most likely problem is that the tech forgot to do the stall test or didn't do it right.

·
Super Moderator
6,533 Posts
The video should be sufficient for the dealership and the SOA engineer to provide a loaner and work on repairing the issue. I would not want to be driving this vehicle at this point, particularly with kids int he vehicle.
I disagree on that part.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Before we speculate too much he should verify that the recall was done correctly. The most likely problem is that the tech forgot to do the stall test or didn't do it right.
I agree. I would think on recalls , the techs need to complete a checklist and initial each step. Maybe the tech pencil whipped it. If so, that is a very dangerous approach.

·
Super Moderator
6,533 Posts
I do not assume the video is sufficient for a complete diagnoses, but it should be enough to stipulate to the owner should not be driving this vehicle until we figure it all out.
I think you misunderstand. I agree with everything in your comment except for the part that I bolded. ;)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Fortunately, nothing like this sneaks through....
In a perfect world. Unfortunately, there's a brand new Outback recall because of incorrect controllers being specified and sent out as part of a previous recall. Only 46 affected, but the wrong part got out.

I personally believe Subaru is a great company with world-class manufacturing and excellent customer support. But 'stuff' happens, even to the best.

As far as WUV07 goes, Subaru's documentation is inconsistent/imperfect wrt when the test drive test should be performed. In my case the dealer put a total of 0.4m on the trip meter, which is not enough to make it from their lot to the first opportunity to turn around. I contacted SOA, explained this, and I asked if they were confident the dealer performed the recall service properly. They said they were.

·
Super Moderator
6,533 Posts
In my case the dealer put a total of 0.4m on the trip meter, which is not enough to make it from their lot to the first opportunity to turn around. I contacted SOA,
I'm sorry, I thought I explained this before. The car does not move during the stall test, so it accumulates 0 miles because the wheels do not turn. The road test is after that to see how the car drives, the stall test is to test the CVT and chain clamping pressure. This is all explained in the documentation.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think you misunderstand. I agree with everything in your comment except for the part that I bolded. ;)
My video was sufficient for my dealership to replace my CVT. The shop foreman heard the slip twice and didn't even watch the rest of the video, which had worse slips, and stated you need a new CVT. I don't see why a clear and concise video wouldn't be enough. At least should be enough for them to issue a loaner and properly test drive it to experience the issue themselves.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'm sorry, I thought I explained this before. The car does not move during the stall test, so it accumulates 0 miles because the wheels do not turn. The road test is after that to see how the car drives, the stall test is to test the CVT and chain clamping pressure. This is all explained in the documentation.
You had. You've consistently done an excellent job in trying to explain away the problems. However, your explanation does not negate the fact that NHTSA recall and the Subaru technical description differ from what the procedure shows in terms of the order of tests and TCU updates being done. If they had their act together, these docs would not differ. And, in my case, Subaru was happy with no test drive having being done despite it being specified in all the docs.

·
Super Moderator
6,533 Posts
There was a test drive. Almost half a mile is fine for the testing needs.

Keep in mind that I have an affected harness, and I also abuse my CVT more than almost everyone in this group (or anywhere). My test drive was equally as short.

My next adventure is in two weeks, and consists of a thousand miles from NJ to Niagara, on back roads, light off roading, and in as much snow as possible with the 48hrs of Tristate #SubaruEnthusiasts Charity Group.

I'm also on extraction duty. If anyone of the 20 of us in my group get stuck, or we find strangers stuck, it's my Ascent that's towing them out.

I live everything I claim, and push harder than everyone else, because I am that utterly confident in my understandings of these systems.

That someone writing a recall doc confused something that was written by the engineers for the technicians doesn't surprise me. It happens. The service doc is accurate.

And, myself and others have watched the proper service. 😉

Don't stress about it. I'm not. My service was completed to my satisfaction, and wasn't any different than yours....

...other than more mud falling off my car. 😂😉

·
Registered
12 Posts
UPDATE: The car was in the shop for close to a month. And the dealership had an engineer from subaru come and after further testing, they said "this is normal". It took them a month to say that. It took them a month of "testing" where the car was sitting for a month where even the tech could not figure out why it was making that noise and admits that it's abnormal but the dealership released the car to me because Subaru said it's fine. very disappointing.
Just wanted to give an update - After a test drive with the service manager/director, they deduced it to be a transmission issue and replaced it fully. After about a month of driving, I haven't experienced the issue since. Shout out to @Robert.Mauro for reaching out on my behalf to SoA as well to help get more eyes on the issue. SoA upgraded my extended warranty for 10 years/100k miles with zero deductible which I'm super happy about.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I would like to learn why the Subaru engineer could not make this determination. Did the engineer not hear it? Did the engineer think that the noise was truly normal given the vehicles history? What was the difference in evidence that distinguished the noise for the service manager versus the engineer?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would like to learn why the Subaru engineer could not make this determination. Did the engineer not hear it? Did the engineer think that the noise was truly normal given the vehicles history? What was the difference in evidence that distinguished the noise for the service manager versus the engineer?
Great question, the main difference is essentially when the engineer drove it, i was not in the car. Even when the service manager drove it, they said they could not "replicate" the issue. Rather than driving it on the highway, they drove it on the local road for like 10-15 minutes. After all the back and forth I got in the car with the service manager, I took it on the highway and hit the gas up to 85 and within minutes issue was finally replicated. The look on the service managers face told me all I needed to know. They simply just didn't put the time into actually driving the vehicle and were hoping to find it through some tool that logs data. The service advisors told me that they tried telling the engineer and the service manager to go on the highway which they refused....that's another issue altogether. but that's what it is. So if you or anyone is experiencing the issue, do yourself a favor, don't just drop the car off. Demand that they sit in the car with you for a drive. That way you don't lose a month of your life and the remaining hair that's left on your scalp like I did.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Great question, the main difference is essentially when the engineer drove it, i was not in the car. Even when the service manager drove it, they said they could not "replicate" the issue. Rather than driving it on the highway, they drove it on the local road for like 10-15 minutes. After all the back and forth I got in the car with the service manager, I took it on the highway and hit the gas up to 85 and within minutes issue was finally replicated. The look on the service managers face told me all I needed to know. They simply just didn't put the time into actually driving the vehicle and were hoping to find it through some tool that logs data. The service advisors told me that they tried telling the engineer and the service manager to go on the highway which they refused....that's another issue altogether. but that's what it is. So if you or anyone is experiencing the issue, do yourself a favor, don't just drop the car off. Demand that they sit in the car with you for a drive. That way you don't lose a month of your life and the remaining hair that's left on your scalp like I did.
Thanks for the detail. I"m sure it will save some hairs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am also having this issue. I have a 2019 that has about 14,000 mi on it. I've brought it into the dealer twice and this is what they told me this second time.

"The tech called Subaru and they are saying this is normal operation of the vehicle, that it will make that from time to time."

Really? I love my Subaru but I'm about to trade this in. I have two little boys and I'm not comfortable driving it.

·
Super Moderator
6,533 Posts
I am also having this issue. I have a 2019 that has about 14,000 mi on it. I've brought it into the dealer twice and this is what they told me this second time.

"The tech called Subaru and they are saying this is normal operation of the vehicle, that it will make that from time to time."

Really? I love my Subaru but I'm about to trade this in. I have two little boys and I'm not comfortable driving it.
What sound is it making? And, when? If you're talking about the chirp when shifting between drive and reverse, then, yes, that's normal, and the TR690 has been doing that for over a decade.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No it's a squealing sound when I accelerate but it doesn't happen all the time. When it does this it also jumps a bit. It's very frustrating and feels unsafe.

81 - 100 of 108 Posts