Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I have a 2020 Ascent with 5,500 miles which just developed an engine rattle. I’ve attached a video that I hope captures the rattle clearly. Anyone have any idea what it could be?
  • Sound only occurs while in drive and when throttle is applied (cannot replicate in neutral or while coasting)

• Sound is generally produced at 1800-2200 RPM. Sound is not there at higher RPM.

• Sound occurs even after the car is fully warm (30 minutes of driving.)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No one else out there having this issue? I’m wondering if it’s an urgent matter or if I should wait unti January ‘21 and get it looked when I renew my state inspection.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
I've never heard that before. But I agree a loose heat shield could be the culprit. It is also possible it's something to do with the high pressure direct injection system. Because it may be the latter, I'd schedule an appointment and have it checked out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey all,

I have a 2020 Ascent with 5,500 miles which just developed an engine rattle. I’ve attached a video that I hope captures the rattle clearly. Anyone have any idea what it could be?
  • Sound only occurs while in drive and when throttle is applied (cannot replicate in neutral or while coasting)

• Sound is generally produced at 1800-2200 RPM. Sound is not there at higher RPM.

The only weird noise I have notice is when the ac is running makes a rattle noise on the outside

·
Registered
147 Posts
It can be any of the bolts in the engine compartment but based on your recording it sounds fairly close to the firewall or even under the dash in the cabin. I can’t quite tell from your recording. It could also a hose or wire/cluster vibrating against the body or something like that. The dealer can probably narrow down the originating general area with a stethoscope, but they find a convoluted spot it would be very difficult to pin down exactly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey all,

My Ascent has the same sound. It happens during morning time. Later during the day, won’t hear much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I get a similar noise once in a while, but haven't bothered investigating further. Mine sounds like it's in the dash or possibly the windshield wiper area ... closer to the driver than the engine is.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Same type of sound on my 2020 Touring. Mine is perhaps quieter and only when taking off from a stop. You’d have to be fairly OCD (which I am, obviously!) to hear this in my car. It seems like a reverberation the upper windshield area but I haven’t investigated. Please keep us posted 😊

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update:

Dealer suspects that it is simply a rattle in the dash and suggested that I leave well enough alone. Alternatively, they offered to pulling the entire dash to investigate but warned that I might end up with even more rattles after doing so.

I’m going to continue to look and hope to resolve it myself. After a bit of searching, I found that owners of the previous generation Outbacks had the same rattle with engine load. It seems the culprit in their case was a transmission ground cable that would rub against the air box in the engine bay. I’m going to do a thorough look at all connection in the Ascent’s bay in hopes of finding something similar. I’ll update if I find it!

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
26 Posts
Update:

Dealer suspects that it is simply a rattle in the dash and suggested that I leave well enough alone. Alternatively, they offered to pulling the entire dash to investigate but warned that I might end up with even more rattles after doing so.

I’m going to continue to look and hope to resolve it myself. After a bit of searching, I found that owners of the previous generation Outbacks had the same rattle with engine load. It seems the culprit in their case was a transmission ground cable that would rub against the air box in the engine bay. I’m going to do a thorough look at all connection in the Ascent’s bay in hopes of finding something similar. I’ll update if I find it!
Ugh. Lazy.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
I wouldn't bother looking for any such thing. Very different harnesses and cables. Different TCM location. Different valve body location. Different shift mechanism. Etc, etc. It's a TR580 CVT in that Outback.
Update:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wouldn't bother looking for any such thing. Very different harnesses and cables. Different TCM location. Different valve body location. Different shift mechanism. Etc, etc. It's a TR580 CVT in that Outback.
You're right, no luck finding any possible rub points in the bay. To add, another rattle developed in the driver seat door panel. When it rain it pours!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update:

Finally, I'm not the only one with this problem. Had it since the very first time i did it's service, 47k miles later still the same. The dealers would tell me it's the turbo spooling. They can't replicate the problem.Cold, hot days still hear it. The only time it seems to work is when I'm heavy footed constantly. Sometimes even at idle. Blah blah. Poor service. Poor windshield weather strip. The vehicle stalls when driving. They "corrected" the recall on the stall but occasionally it still stalls. I've yet to figure out what the problem is. I think I'm done with this car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts