Subaru Ascent Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,245 Posts
Our turbo is much bigger. I took my underside guards off and looked at it. Someone also posted side by side pics.

Here's a 2007 WRX turbo next to ours, courtesy of Micah Gabala in the FB group. Ours is the bigger one on the left.

Anyway, here's a slightly better look at it than the drawing. Whatever insight you may have from the pics would be appreciated.

If I ever take my skid plates off, I will take better pics.

·
Registered
346 Posts
My legacy has the catch pan and then a mini skidplate protecting it, much like this has. If you look at it in relation to the size of the turbo you will notice it probably isn't that big in real life. These turbos aren't big by any means. There will be two lines to it one leading to the passenger side head to a cam driven pump and the other will be connected to the breather system to vent any pressure in the pan.

Here is a pic of a vf54 found on the 5th gen legacy with an arrow indicating the oil pan on the turbo assembly. The WRX uses a similar setup, I am guessing it will be the same basic design with maybe slight modification to size/shape.
only it's not like it at all
and connected to PCV hose line

·
Registered
177 Posts
only it's not like it at all
and connected to PCV hose line
Two hoses one to pull oil the other to relieve pressure. This system isn't new.

And Robert, if you remove all those heatshields the turbo itself isn't that big. It will be bigger than older vf/td series turbos because it is twin-scroll and doesn't have the packaging restraints of the older models. But that plate is either a protective cover for the turbos oil pan or it is the oil pan. Just going by the pics alone it is hard to tell, but I see the oil lines coming out of the cast piece above it so I would assume that bottom plate is a protective plate. The tank definitely looks much better integrated into the turbo. It is really amazing what a difference 10 model years can make in a design, the Ascents engine really is nicely done.

Here is a link to parts diagram clearly showing the small oil catch pan under the turbo.

·
Super Moderator
5,245 Posts
And Robert, if you remove all those heatshields the turbo itself isn't that big.
There's pics of the shields removed. And, I've been at it. It's big, without the heat shields. That's per the guys who are removing them who do Subie stuff. I've never seen it next to another.

Here is a link to parts diagram clearly showing the small oil catch pan under the turbo
It's about the same size as the footprint of our engine pan. Hard to tell that from the drawings.

·
Super Moderator
5,245 Posts
This is a neat article.

"And variations of this Honeywell MGT22 turbocharger feed that four-cylinder, producing peak boost levels between 16.4 and 22.6 psi depending on the vehicle."

Pretty sure we're at the 16.4 range.

·
Registered
177 Posts
3 holes on ascent one per service manual

turbo
PCV
return
3 yes the one where the pan is bolted to the chra of the turbo and the breather and return oil line. I wouldn't consider the first a pipe or line, it's a machined surface bolted to the turbo.

Robert when I think of turbo size I am thinking of turbine and compressor wheel sizes not really physical size from the exterior. No doubt the whole unit is in a large package compared to previous uel header turbos.

·
Registered
788 Posts
This is a neat article.

"And variations of this Honeywell MGT22 turbocharger feed that four-cylinder, producing peak boost levels between 16.4 and 22.6 psi depending on the vehicle."

Pretty sure we're at the 16.4 range.
See my link to Garrett electric turbochargers in the engine tech section.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts