Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2019 Ascent engine has let go at 24000 miles. To be fair, I don't have the final diagnosis from the dealer yet, however, there was enough oil tripping out of the tail pipes and the smoke was incredible. The dealer did say I was looking at a short block. Maybe a long block and a new exhaust system. Wondering if anyone else has had a problem this catastrophic? I really just want the dealer to replace the car so that all the clocks get reset. Also, though I am sure the technicians are properly trained and competent, there is no way in mind that short block ,rebuilt in the dealer's service bay is as a good a build as the factory engine. I guess it depends on the tech doing the work. Any inputs, thoughts, or similar experiences.

here is the story. Headed north from Plano TX to Tulsa. About an hour in to the drive, around Durant, she started running rough but kept running and making power. The rough was intermittent. Just before Durant, about two miles once it started acting up, the rough became permanent and the smoke started. Going over main street on hwy-75 she lost power. We coasted down the exit ramp and off on to the shoulder. Smoke just pouring out of the exhaust. This continued even after the motor died at the bottom of the ramp when we came to a stop. Jumped out and pushed on to the shoulder then grabbed our gear out of the back as the smoke was still pouring out of the exhaust. FIgured there might have been fire potential due to the heat of the catalytic converters. 5 minutes later, the smoke had finally quit and we were working with Subaru roadside to get the car towed. Not a lot of dealers in the area and being based in Tulsa, I insisted the car be taken to the dealer there to be worked. They finally agreed and Subaru is reimbursing me for the out of pocket expense for the long distance tow. This all happened a week ago. The dealer got me a loaner once they opened in the morning and said it would be Tuesday next week before they could get to it. True to their word, they sent me a message today saying that on first glance it looked like I would need a short block and new converters. Tech was still working diagnosis.

I did contact Subaru north America and reported the incident as well. Have not asked them for anything yet other than to cover the tow which they said they would. I got a message saying a check was on the way.

Thanks for the assistance in advance.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
All that smoke and no pics?
Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Please keep us posted with any progress. I haven’t heard of any other catastrophic engine failures so hopefully no mass panic ensues! (I have 23343mi so I’m right at the same point)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
There is another post under complaints forum about a Huge Plume of Blue Smoke. You may want to check out that forum.
The blue smoke thread doesn’t include the engine losing power and dying; it’s mainly about smoke on startup that dissipates. Couldn’t hurt to read thru anyway in case any symptoms were in common.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Sorry to hear. :(

My wife's '09 Forester XT passed the 2009 "Stop Sale" testing at the dealership, but it gave out at just over 3,500 miles on the ODO -

The good thing was that after the heart transplant, she returned to us completely trouble-free for the rest of her stay (we're on 3 year, 36K lease cycles). Subaru - and our dealership - also really rolled out the red carpet for us for the service (which is detailed in that thread, too).

The rest of our family's 9 Subarus since 2005 - including my '19 Ascent - have been largely trouble-free. My '13 Tribeca needed its front passenger airbag module (thus the entire seat) replaced, but really, that's been about it. Counting my in-law's four (going on 5) Legacys since 2016 or so, only my FIL's headunit could really be called a problem.

It's always hard to have these kinds of things come up on a new vehicle, but alas, these are just machines built by humans, and every once in a while, a problem is inevitable.

I hope your Ascent returns to you soon, and as strong as our '09 FXT did after its longblock replacement!

·
Registered
678 Posts
The motor is considered a replaceable component, it's unlikely Subaru will offer to replace the entire car. Although not common, new motors will fail on all makes and models of cars. The solution is nearly always to replace it while reusing whatever engine sub-components that are salvageable. That's why you may get only a short-block rather than an entire new engine. Subaru's warranty obligation is only to return the vehicle to working condition, not to replace the entire car or the entire engine.

I understand why this would make you uncomfortable, it would bother me too. You paid top dollar for a factory-new car, not a dealer-rebuilt car. Rebuilt engines are only as good as the mechanic doing the work and unlike a factory-new engine, this can't be qualified. In this situation, if they refused to replace the car or the entire engine, I would state that I have lost confidence in the vehicle and would ask for a free 10-year extended warranty as compensation and for peace of mind that the rebuilt engine will last past the regular factory warranty.

That's the least they could do for you as an offer of goodwill.

·
Super Moderator
5,245 Posts
Assembling a Subaru short block is ridiculously easy. They clean and measure the heads for flatness, plane them, if necessary, slap on the gaskets and sealers, put it together, align all the gears (by turning the relevant components, such as the camshafts, crankshaft, etc), bolt and torque it together, mount it to the CVT, stick the assembly in the car, bolt on the really simple to attach intake system, and then do fuel and harnesses.

Sounds like a lot, but, if you take a look at Subies from the last few years (most of the last generation), the job is very straightforward and easy.

And, chances are, even though I can't see why they'd need him/her, an SoA Ascent Tech will be onsite or on call.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I recommend that you stay on top of the repair to ensure you're happy with the results. Engine replacement is no cake walk, particularly a short-block, because it's made up of precision components. A long block has less risky because many of the components have been assembled prior to arrival at the dealership.

If the dealer is aiming to replace the short-block and you believe a long-block ought to be replaced instead, you have to put in a lot of work to demonstrate and change their mind. Be prepare to put on your forensic hat!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I heard from the dealer today. A Subaru field engineer had come by to look at my car. There are seven other cars that have had this problem. At least one other in the Tulsa area if I understood correctly. Of the other cars apparently mine is the only one that will still turn over. They think that there is something going on with the engines in hot climates. It was my understanding that all the cars that have had this problem are in Oklahoma Texas New Mexico Arizona. They wanted to know what type of gas I use. I also offered up that I had been towing my boat with it They said the other cars did not have trailer hitches. I am the only one with a trailer hitch. All the cars are either in the high teens on mileage or low twenties. They had not made up their mind yet on what they were going to do. Hopefully I will hear something in the next couple of days I really appreciate that they have given me a loaner but I need my trailer hitch back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
All that smoke and no pics?
Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Please keep us posted with any progress. I haven’t heard of any other catastrophic engine failures so hopefully no mass panic ensues! (I have 23343mi so I’m right at the same point)
I would like to see pics of this engine failure. Or any of the “other seven”.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I heard from the dealer today. A Subaru field engineer had come by to look at my car. There are seven other cars that have had this problem. At least one other in the Tulsa area if I understood correctly. Of the other cars apparently mine is the only one that will still turn over. They think that there is something going on with the engines in hot climates. It was my understanding that all the cars that have had this problem are in Oklahoma Texas New Mexico Arizona. They wanted to know what type of gas I use. I also offered up that I had been towing my boat with it They said the other cars did not have trailer hitches. I am the only one with a trailer hitch. All the cars are either in the high teens on mileage or low twenties. They had not made up their mind yet on what they were going to do. Hopefully I will hear something in the next couple of days I really appreciate that they have given me a loaner but I need my trailer hitch back.
That’s a feel good story, not a continuance for your path to satisfaction. If the engineer and dealer rep don’t have a plan to conduct a forensic study to prioritize for your need, you ought to have a talk with them to determine the scope-of-work and schedule that’s amendable to you (both sides).

Keep in mind, the only person that cares about your schedule is you!!!

GL

·
Super Moderator
5,245 Posts
The combination of heat and towing should not be an issue. Kevin Williams lives in Arizona and tows regularly.

Seven such incidents indicates a parts build defect (as opposed to a design issue) or assembly issue. So, that's good at least.

I'd like to know the root cause, but, if they've narrowed it down to a failure of a part in an assembly, then replacing the assembly will resolve the issue, and we may never know the root cause. Your assembly (short block or whatever they ultimately replace) will be sent back for testing and analysis. Your dealer will not get any more reports about it once it's gone.

In the event a particular defect is found in a particular part, and they determine it's the root cause for the other 6 as well, they will take the parts manufacturer to task over it. Subaru requires no more than one defect per million parts, and are working really hard to enforce that (some of you may remember the articles about that).

Of course, some parts are used in multiple Subaru models, so, keep in mind that even if it's the same part for all seven, there may be millions of them out there. Or it may be unique to the Ascent engine, and the part may only appear once in the Ascent engine (eg: there are multiple identical pistons in our engine, but only one oil filter).

Regardless, looking forward to you being back on the road, and to hearing anything else you learn.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Thanks for the detailed story, good luck with your repair!

Not sure why there is a such a demand for pictures to show ''proof'', because Im sure you decided to join 11 months ago as part of your long term plan to post a fake story 2 days ago. Well played sir! ;)

·
Registered
582 Posts
The combination of heat and towing should not be an issue. Kevin Williams lives in Arizona and tows regularly.

Seven such incidents indicates a parts build defect (as opposed to a design issue) or assembly issue. So, that's good at least.

I'd like to know the root cause, but, if they've narrowed it down to a failure of a part in an assembly, then replacing the assembly will resolve the issue, and we may never know the root cause. Your assembly (short block or whatever they ultimately replace) will be sent back for testing and analysis. Your dealer will not get any more reports about it once it's gone.

In the event a particular defect is found in a particular part, and they determine it's the root cause for the other 6 as well, they will take the parts manufacturer to task over it. Subaru requires no more than one defect per million parts, and are working really hard to enforce that (some of you may remember the articles about that).

Of course, some parts are used in multiple Subaru models, so, keep in mind that even if it's the same part for all seven, there may be millions of them out there. Or it may be unique to the Ascent engine, and the part may only appear once in the Ascent engine (eg: there are multiple identical pistons in our engine, but only one oil filter).

Regardless, looking forward to you being back on the road, and to hearing anything else you learn.
Yeah I've towed 2,500 miles (and adding another 600 this coming weekend) in the AZ heat with between 3,500 and 4,500 pounds behind my vehicle and up and down mountains.

It does sound like there may be a part that if out of spec suffers more in the heat. So you need a hot climate and a bad part to see the failure.

I hope you get it all sorted. It has to be frustrating for sure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So the working theory is that the fuel computer in hot climates is some how putting too much fuel into the engine in hot climates at start up. This is washing the rings causing just a little metal on metal contact at each startup as well as rough performance in hot climates due to over rich. Over time this metal on metal contact builds up eventually resulting in either damage to the bore, the rings, or both. My dealer confirmed they have another one in the dealer ship that is completely locked. He showed me the dipstick out of mine and the oil just barely registered on the stick. Right now the strategy is to keep mine together for the time being so that the factory has mine for diagnostics. They are going to pull the intake on the other one tomorrow and see what they find. I am driving a loaner for free, other than putting gas in it so I don't have much room to complain. The dealer showed me video of the engineer working the diagnostics. He said he would send me the video as well as pictures of the dipstick. They want to keep mine together for now because corporate engineering has said they want to come look at it. I will provide more details as they become available. Now that I have had some sleep over the initial emotional upset of having my new car die, Subaru is really working hard to figure out what is wrong and make sure the fix is real.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would make sure to look up the Lemon Law for your state. Subaru might do the right thing, but sounds like they’re going to take some time doing it. Know your rights.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
@George Reaves thanks for that detailed update.
just to clarify I was only asking for pics cuz I like to see what’s going on. Hope everything goes in your favor getting this all fixed!

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 2019 Ascent engine has let go at 24000 miles. To be fair, I don't have the final diagnosis from the dealer yet, however, there was enough oil tripping out of the tail pipes and the smoke was incredible. The dealer did say I was looking at a short block. Maybe a long block and a new exhaust system. Wondering if anyone else has had a problem this catastrophic? I really just want the dealer to replace the car so that all the clocks get reset. Also, though I am sure the technicians are properly trained and competent, there is no way in mind that short block ,rebuilt in the dealer's service bay is as a good a build as the factory engine. I guess it depends on the tech doing the work. Any inputs, thoughts, or similar experiences.

here is the story. Headed north from Plano TX to Tulsa. About an hour in to the drive, around Durant, she started running rough but kept running and making power. The rough was intermittent. Just before Durant, about two miles once it started acting up, the rough became permanent and the smoke started. Going over main street on hwy-75 she lost power. We coasted down the exit ramp and off on to the shoulder. Smoke just pouring out of the exhaust. This continued even after the motor died at the bottom of the ramp when we came to a stop. Jumped out and pushed on to the shoulder then grabbed our gear out of the back as the smoke was still pouring out of the exhaust. FIgured there might have been fire potential due to the heat of the catalytic converters. 5 minutes later, the smoke had finally quit and we were working with Subaru roadside to get the car towed. Not a lot of dealers in the area and being based in Tulsa, I insisted the car be taken to the dealer there to be worked. They finally agreed and Subaru is reimbursing me for the out of pocket expense for the long distance tow. This all happened a week ago. The dealer got me a loaner once they opened in the morning and said it would be Tuesday next week before they could get to it. True to their word, they sent me a message today saying that on first glance it looked like I would need a short block and new converters. Tech was still working diagnosis.

I did contact Subaru north America and reported the incident as well. Have not asked them for anything yet other than to cover the tow which they said they would. I got a message saying a check was on the way.

Thanks for the assistance in advance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey George I got 55,000 on my 2019 ascent I'm located here in Boston . I was in the O'Neill tunnel and I lost power I cruised up the ramp bearing in mind I used to work on my Honda Civic, Nissan maximas all three manual transmission so I'm very observant when something isn't right. So I felt the ascent was not accelerating so I backed off and let it roll up the ramp I know I lost power but I did not want to make the situation worse so I drove it really slowly to a place where I could pull over when I get to the red light so I stopped the light turned green and that was it spoke was just spewing out the exhaust like I was spraying the place for mosquitoes. This happens the 3rd of August and I still haven't gotten my car back yet what they diagnosed as a PCV issue but I was hoping that they would throw a new engine in there but they didn't ,they said they'd rebuild the engine from scratch and it's going to be 9000 dollars worth in parts.
20190826_174716_HDR.jpg
so we'll see how that works out I'll keep you posted so it will be a month on the 3rd Aug since I haven't had my car I love the car .

1 - 20 of 69 Posts