Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every day for two weeks I drove 7 miles on a dirt road. Some of the dust made it's way to the engine compartment. I have vacuumed most of it, and used a damp cloth where applicable. I know a pressure water hose and even just low pressure water is not generally a good idea. What other options exist for those times where dirt has reached the compartment? No leaks, so no greese or oil accumulation.

·
Registered
542 Posts
On the detailing forums they recommend a low pressure hose on a warm (not hot) engine after some scrubbing with a toothbrush and diluted simple green.

But with the Ascent being this new I’d skip the simple green and just use agitation and a hose without a nozzle. The warmth from the engine would dry it fast.

All the connectors are sealed but I’d avoid it if not needed.

Wipe down with Formula 303 after

Or you can use a compressor and blow gun if you prefer to keep it dry

·
Super Moderator
2,425 Posts
Really nothing wrong with hitting it with a hose or even a pressure washer. Just stay away from wire harnesses and fuse boxes as they’re only designed for overspray, not submersion. Also be careful of the cooling fins on the intercooler, and as @Soca said make sure it’s not hot!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
If you wanted to avoid water, you could simply use compressed air. That should remove most of the dust. Small air compressors are cheap (~$99) and well worth owning if you don't already have one. An air compressor is a must-have for any garage. It's so useful for so many purposes.

I would never soak my engine compartment with water. Too many sensitive components, sensors, and electronics in a modern vehicle.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Compressed air
Light soak with 50/50 mix of Shout/Hot water using handheld garden sprayer
Let it soak for 5-10min and hose off with a steady stream
Compressed air to help dry.

Although i only clean when very dirty or when selling.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Notice how he never uses water to soak the engine. Avoid soaking the engine with water.
Absolutely no issues with soaking the engine. The same thing happens every time you drive through a rain storm. Water gets everywhere. I have been cleaning engines for 40 years and have found the latest ones are sealed up quite well. Connections have improved tremendously over the years and their is very little chance of having issues with a regular hose at a reasonable water pressure. I will still occasionally use a pressure washer with the pressure turned down at a couple of feet. I have no issues using a pressure washer but you do have to be cautious when doing so.

My tried and true method for cleaning an engine is S100 cleaner with a complete rinse followed by a generous soaking of WD-40. This process a couple of times a year will insure a very clean engine compartment for the life of the vehicle. I typically spray the engine compartment with WD-40 as soon as I drive it home from the dealer. It does a great job of preventing dirt from really grabbing hold and allows it to be rinsed off quite easily with the S100 and water. 5 minutes twice a year is all it takes.

I had no trouble selling a Subaru with 180,000 miles when they saw the spotless engine compartment. That alone closed the deal.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Let me add one more consideration in regards to using water for cleaning the engine. If you live in the great white north in which SALT is used on the roads in the winter it is imperative to rinse off your engine if you want it to remain in pristine condition. There is nothing worse that then corrosive effects caused by the salt spray.

If you are constantly using your windshield washer to keep the salt off of your windshield you should also consider rinsing off your engine as that same salt spray is completely engulfing your engine compartment.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just had my dealer vac and steam clean the engine compartment for $18. Looks like new (I am at 28,000 miles). For that price I do not want to lift a rag, hose, vac or brush.:)

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When my dealer looks at my car it costs $125. Not sure how you got that...?
honestly I had not even thought about it. I was at the dealer for my 30,000 mile. They normally open the hood while in the service area so that the staff can top off windshield fluid etc. I took the opportunity to clean out the pine needles that tend to accumulate near the wiper pivot points and below. The service guy tells me they can clean that up and steam clean the engine area for $20 and I responded immediately to add it to the list. They do not advertise it on their website.

My 25% discount saved me about $350 on this service (I had added in a front and rear differential fluid replacement -for severe driving conditions - Colorado) and new tires (I had more mileage to go on them but with 25% off I could not resist).

I guess they want that repeat service business. I did not even buy the vehicle there.

In contrast the finance guy did not offer me a good price on the gold plus, so I am still shopping around for that (8/120,000).

·
Registered
171 Posts
Absolutely no issues with soaking the engine. The same thing happens every time you drive through a rain storm. Water gets everywhere. I have been cleaning engines for 40 years and have found the latest ones are sealed up quite well. Connections have improved tremendously over the years and their is very little chance of having issues with a regular hose at a reasonable water pressure. I will still occasionally use a pressure washer with the pressure turned down at a couple of feet. I have no issues using a pressure washer but you do have to be cautious when doing so.

My tried and true method for cleaning an engine is S100 cleaner with a complete rinse followed by a generous soaking of WD-40. This process a couple of times a year will insure a very clean engine compartment for the life of the vehicle. I typically spray the engine compartment with WD-40 as soon as I drive it home from the dealer. It does a great job of preventing dirt from really grabbing hold and allows it to be rinsed off quite easily with the S100 and water. 5 minutes twice a year is all it takes.

I had no trouble selling a Subaru with 180,000 miles when they saw the spotless engine compartment. That alone closed the deal.
i was going to mention S100.....it’s all I use...... started using it on my motorcycles many moons ago and it works really well on the engine compartment and getting bugs off the front of the car.... the WD-40 is an interesting trick....

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
i was going to mention S100....
Major coincidence. I was looking through all the cans of stuff in the garage day before yesterday and found a can of S100 that must be at least 20 years old. I think it's the only can of that I've ever had and it's still mostly full. I probably should put it to good use.

·
Registered
223 Posts
i was going to mention S100.....it’s all I use...... started using it on my motorcycles many moons ago and it works really well on the engine compartment and getting bugs off the front of the car.... the WD-40 is an interesting trick....
I would be careful with the WD40. it is a very bad idea to apply that liberally in the engine bay on plastic and rubber hoses; including seals and electronics. It will degrade them over time. WD40 should only be applied to metallic surfaces. Use a specific rubber and plastic protectant for a final shine on those parts. Forget the exact name but I use a meguirs one that is great.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts