Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Wondering whats the equivalent of engine breaking...in my old car I had (D3/2/1 gear levels which I used to slow the car down on steep grades.
So for you Norcal'ers...if you were to take the car down Tioga or the Priest grade, how would you slow it down (only breaking will chew up the breaks in no time :))
Thanks!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Put in in manual mode and downshift with the paddles for engine braking. You can downshift in D, but in my experience it will go back to whatever gear it was in after a few seconds.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I usually downshift 1 or 2 times while in D mode when going down hill or at a long and slow approach a stop light. Usually it will stay in gear for as long as I need it. As soon as I engage the gas paddle to resume normal driving (not accelerating rapidly), it will automatically go back to D mode.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Maybe it’s just because I’m used to how a manual tranny feels when downshifting, but I’ve seen minimal effect on braking by downshifting.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I use the cruise control. Set for, say 50mph, the car will use the transmission along with the brakes to control speed.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I use the cruise control. Set for, say 50mph, the car will use the transmission along with the brakes to control speed.
I wish I had thought of that this Sunday when I was behind an extraordinary slow driver going down a mountain pass. I will remember it next time.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I definitely use manual mode down big hills. And sometimes going uphill as well (I still tend to get some racing or holding really high revs going up hills, but not enough of a bother to have it looked at). I do find it to be very responsive in terms of upshifting and downshifting when you direct the transmission to, and with holding gears when you don't. considering this is a family hauler I expected it to be dummied down like some of the GM and Ford systems.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The left paddle comes in very handy for quick downshifts/engine braking.
dont even need to take my hands off the wheel to go into manual mode.
The car will not shift out of the gear you manually paddle to unless you press the accelerator.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The cruise control is great for those slow drivers in front of you. The brake lights don't illuminate immediately when ACC applies the brakes. It does do plenty of engine braking but not as much as you'd think just by looking for the brake light on the display.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Is the load being slammed on (braking) the CVT “gears” or the actual engine?
The load does go through the transmission and to the engine. For the transmission it's the same torque being transferred whether you are going up or down. For the engine the effort is different because it tries to accelerate the engine rather than slow it down, but no big deal either way.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The left paddle comes in very handy for quick downshifts/engine braking.
dont even need to take my hands off the wheel to go into manual mode.
The car will not shift out of the gear you manually paddle to unless you press the accelerator.
I agree, the temporary override in the transmission is really useful, I wish my other vehicle had this feature too. Not only it holds the gear going downhill, but also helps when you want to get ready to overtake somebody.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts