Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay folks...here’s the dilemma. Around 2,500 miles I noticed an intermittent squealing noise coming from the engine compartment during light acceleration. It happened once then not again for quite a few days. It still happens every other day or so. The first time it happened I was driving around 25 MPH. Lasted a few seconds. But it would linger if I kept my foot on the accelerator. At lower speeds it’s more of an annoying sound. But when it happens at higher speeds it actually impacts the driving experience. The belt seemingly slips on the pulleys and the RPM spikes. When it catches, the rapid resistance causes the RPM to suddenly drop which lurches the entire vehicle.

Subaru is aware - that’s a whole other story. But has anyone else experienced this intermittent acceleration issue? I understand there are discussions regarding CVT behavior but this is unrelated.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'm having a hard time understanding how an accessory belt slipping is enough to let the engine rise in RPM. It shouldn't be causing that much drag.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Did you confirm the issue thru visual inspection?

If there's belt slip, there are 3 potential issues (assuming not related AC compressor):
1. belt diameter too big. Belt normally stretches after a period of usage, causing it to be out of specs (per operational design).
2. belt tensioner failure. It can't apply the appropriate force per RPM/loading.
3. or a combination of the above

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you confirm the issue thru visual inspection?

If there's belt slip, there are 3 potential issues (assuming not related AC compressor):
1. belt diameter too big. Belt normally stretches after a period of usage, causing it to be out of specs (per operational design).
2. belt tensioner failure. It can't apply the appropriate force per RPM/loading.
3. or a combination of the above
The AC has been both off and on so I don’t believe it’s the source. It’s been to the dealership and they haven’t been able to replicate it...which is no surprise because it happens so sporadically. I’m dropping the car off at the dealer for the weekend and taking a loaner. I have recordings of it but unfortunately that’s not enough for a diagnosis at present. I posted one of the videos to the Subaru Ascent Facebook page.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm having a hard time understanding how an accessory belt slipping is enough to let the engine rise in RPM. It shouldn't be causing that much drag.
Your guess is as good as mine. I just know the symptoms...unfortunately not the underlying cause yet.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
If something is wrong, hopefully, they will find it. BUT, if nothing's wrong, I have an idea. I've had exactly what you describe happen when I've spilled oil on that belt. Dunno if that helps. Eventually it burns off and doesn't happen again (unless more oil is spilled on it).

BUT, if it is something wrong, please keep us posted.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If something is wrong, hopefully, they will find it. BUT, if nothing's wrong, I have an idea. I've had exactly what you describe happen when I've spilled oil on that belt. Dunno if that helps. Eventually it burns off and doesn't happen again (unless more oil is spilled on it).

BUT, if it is something wrong, please keep us posted.
That’s a really great lead...thanks. And if you haven’t already, check out the video that I posted on the Facebook page to hear it. Thanks again!

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
That’s a really great lead...thanks. And if you haven’t already, check out the video that I posted on the Facebook page to hear it. Thanks again!
Found it and responded there. A couple other ideas, after having heard it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could be the CVT...

Interesting developments. Other people have been posting similar issues recently. My car hasn’t been fully diagnosed yet but the dealership recreated the symptoms and they are testing both the CVT for slippage as well as the engine belt. I’m aware of at least one Ascent scheduled for a new tranny.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ascent Problem with Squealing and slipping

The AC has been both off and on so I don’t believe it’s the source. It’s been to the dealership and they haven’t been able to replicate it...which is no surprise because it happens so sporadically. I’m dropping the car off at the dealer for the weekend and taking a loaner. I have recordings of it but unfortunately that’s not enough for a diagnosis at present. I posted one of the videos to the Subaru Ascent Facebook page.
I have the same issue, did the dealer find out what was the cause?
My Ascent only has 4500k very annoying to have that noise and slipping.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Most of the CVT issues logged on this site have a August build so perhaps you have another issue. Take it your dealer and have them look at it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Most of the CVT issues logged on this site have a August build so perhaps you have another issue. Take it your dealer and have them look at it
I would that so too since mines was build on Nov-2018.
But seems like my issues are the same as the August build.
Anyways my car is already at the dealers, I recorded the squeaking noise and slipping with RPM flicking up every time the slipping occurs.
Also, if you check the google docs, most of the cars reporting on this issue just reached over 4000 miles.
I won't be surprise if more cars with later manufacture dates starts having these issue as the mileage get past 3k-4k miles

·
Registered
646 Posts
There are many folks past 4k miles and have had no issues. Look at one of our moderators Robert with close to 20k on his and it has performed with no issues. I 'm not sure what his build date is

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not sure if this is the right place to post this... I have been having similar issues with my Ascent delivered in September. I'm in Ontario Canada and I've been having similar issues with stuttering and power dispersement as well as squealing which seems to happen simultaneously on occasion... very intermittent. I have also had issues where the car just seems to be struggling to find any power. I have also had issues where i've lost the eye sight system part way through my commute to work. Restarting the car when i arrived didn't fix the issue, in fact the issue resolved itself part way through my commute home that evening. Yesterday morning when i started the car the eyesight system failed, but i was able to correct that issue with an engine restart as I was still in the garage at the time. I am taking the vehicle into the dealership on Tuesday to have a look, but I'm not sure what they will find or if they will find anything as these problems are so very random.

Again I apologize if this is posted in the wrong section. Just super concerned as I would hate for something major to go wrong when I have the family in the car.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
I'd be surprised...

I would that so too since mines was build on Nov-2018.
But seems like my issues are the same as the August build.
Anyways my car is already at the dealers, I recorded the squeaking noise and slipping with RPM flicking up every time the slipping occurs.
Also, if you check the google docs, most of the cars reporting on this issue just reached over 4000 miles.
I won't be surprise if more cars with later manufacture dates starts having these issue as the mileage get past 3k-4k miles
I would. The CVT in the Ascent is a TR690 variant. It's tried and tested for years (since its debut in May 2009).

https://akppro.com/en/archive/article/lineartronic-tr690

·
Registered
590 Posts
Not sure if this is the right place to post this... I have been having similar issues with my Ascent delivered in September. I'm in Ontario Canada and I've been having similar issues with stuttering and power dispersement as well as squealing which seems to happen simultaneously on occasion... very intermittent. I have also had issues where the car just seems to be struggling to find any power. I have also had issues where i've lost the eye sight system part way through my commute to work. Restarting the car when i arrived didn't fix the issue, in fact the issue resolved itself part way through my commute home that evening. Yesterday morning when i started the car the eyesight system failed, but i was able to correct that issue with an engine restart as I was still in the garage at the time. I am taking the vehicle into the dealership on Tuesday to have a look, but I'm not sure what they will find or if they will find anything as these problems are so very random.

Again I apologize if this is posted in the wrong section. Just super concerned as I would hate for something major to go wrong when I have the family in the car.
Look under the major transmission problem thread and you will see all of our stories and different fixes.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It was the CVT after all...

I’ll update this thread as I see there have been some new comments. There was much to discover back in October (for both the techs and myself) because it was definitely NOT the engine belt as originally suspected. The CVT was the culprit, which has since been entirely replaced (in December) and is going strong. Premium trim. Not an August build date. Wasn’t towing...but will be soon!

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Do you know your build date?

I’ll update this thread as I see there have been some new comments. There was much to discover back in October (for both the techs and myself) because it was definitely NOT the engine belt as originally suspected. The CVT was the culprit, which has since been entirely replaced (in December) and is going strong. Premium trim. Not an August build date. Wasn’t towing...but will be soon!
Do you know what your build date is? It's on your door plaque (month/year, not the full date).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts