Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to put a toolkit together for the Ascent to have with us on our overlanding trips. For those of you who work on your vehicles, are there any recommendations you have for starting out?

So far I'm thinking:
Breaker Bar
Torque Wrench
Socket Wrench set
Ratchet Wrench set
Pliers
Zip ties

Does anyone know if I should carry metric or SAE sets for the Ascent? Or are there any brands of these tools you'd recommend? I have a ton of woodworking tools, but I'm only getting started in the automotive space.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
Metric. For an in car set, I generally carry Kobalt or similar, since it's pretty much emergency use and I won't need it often or ever.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
Oh, I do use a Stanley 6 point lug nut socket, since I don't want to strip anything or crack a cheap socket. Harbor Freight's sockets looked decent too, but, I haven't tried them. That and a breaker bar go a long way on the highway, over the included lug nut wrench.

Size is 19mm.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Duct tape...of course! This is a great list.

I'm having air compressor analysis paralysis, though. :rolleyes: I currently have a $40 air compressor that I thought was awesome...until I started looking into off-roading. I'm stuck on ARB vs. Viair. And what capacity. And onboard vs. portable. Sigh.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,197 Posts

I'm having air compressor analysis paralysis, though. :rolleyes: I currently have a $40 air compressor that I thought was awesome...until I started looking into off-roading. I'm stuck on ARB vs. Viair. And what capacity. And onboard vs. portable. Sigh.
If you have consumer reports online access they tested portable tire inflators:

Here's the one they liked best:
Product Automotive wheel system Vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I found this bargain for a great tool set at tractor supply. It has gone down a little since I bought mine. Might pick up another.

Here is the inflator for Milwaukee fans.

The one I have

The one I want next

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
That makes me real interested in their coffee maker...

·
Registered
24 Posts
A couple things to note when considering a toolkit. Subaru generally uses 8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19mm hex head fasteners. I've also used a USB rechargable air compressor and been pretty pleased with them, this has the advantage that you can recharge on the road without an additional charger.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
195 Posts
I always like to have a moving blanket and/or towel in the car, for laying on, cleaning off or emergency blanket.
A block of some kind for under the jack on soft or un level ground is a good idea. I have a 3 or 4”, (can’t remember the exact length, made it for my old truck years ago) square metal tube extender for my jack as well.
A tow strap isn’t a bad idea either but all these things start taking up space in a hurry so the key is to decide what trouble you are most likely to run into...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As far as the air compressors go, I keep hearing that ARB and Viair are the ones to go with, especially since they're compact and powerful enough for heavy use in airing up tires when returning to pavement after airing down on trails.

But maybe that's just overkill. Thanks for these alternative recommendations on compressors.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts

I use a Ryobi One+ which works well to inflate my tires and usually at least one other car's on my adventures. I have previously used a Slime digital settable, which I really loved (gave it away with my Outback, but may get a second to use as a second compressor).

In between, or to do two or more tires at once, I use a Dewalt Inverter/Jump starter/DC power/Compressor. It is great. Eventually, the gear on the motor will spin freely. Re-epoxying it to the motor solves that problem. Took many many off-road trips before that happened. I like having 1000W power (continuous) available when I need it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm starting to put a toolkit together for the Ascent to have with us on our overlanding trips. For those of you who work on your vehicles, are there any recommendations you have for starting out?

So far I'm thinking:
Breaker Bar
Torque Wrench
Socket Wrench set
Ratchet Wrench set
Pliers
Zip ties

Does anyone know if I should carry metric or SAE sets for the Ascent? Or are there any brands of these tools you'd recommend? I have a ton of woodworking tools, but I'm only getting started in the automotive space.

Thanks!
A collection of fuses.. spare wiper blades, LED flashlight with broad vs spot beam
Tools per other responses...

·
Registered
62 Posts

So far I'm thinking:
Breaker Bar
Torque Wrench
Socket Wrench set
Ratchet Wrench set
Pliers
Zip ties

Thanks!
Portable jump starter

1 - 20 of 25 Posts