Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen YouTube videos in which the controller on the electric jack was turned 90 degrees to accommodate pickup tailgate opening. Has anyone tried that to allow the Ascent tailgate to open? Did it provide enough room?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
That's going to depend on the specific trailer and tongue jack. Different trailers will have the jack different distances behind the ball coupler. In some cases, it's possible to reposition the jack forward or back on the trailer's tongue to some degree. The height and shape of the jack also figure in.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I tried to turn mine around, it helped but the tailgate still doesn't clear by about a 1/4" or more. I'm still trying to figure it out but I may reposition the tongue jack in the long term. For now I just don't put anything in the back I'll for sure need. Fwiw I have a Wesco tongue jack, probably the cheapest Jayco could find. But it's a simple design and besides the switches crapping out it's worked well.
Automotive parking light Microphone Automotive lighting Font Automotive mirror

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,251 Posts
Rubin, if the attachment method allows for the jack to be moved, sliding it a few inches to clear the hatch probably wouldn't matter much in the end.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried to turn mine around, it helped but the tailgate still doesn't clear by about a 1/4" or more. I'm still trying to figure it out but I may reposition the tongue jack in the long term. For now I just don't put anything in the back I'll for sure need. Fwiw I have a Wesco tongue jack, probably the cheapest Jayco could find. But it's a simple design and besides the switches crapping out it's worked well. View attachment 14620
Thanks for your response. I replaced the Subaru ball mount with a standard 5” drop mount. It gives a little more clearance. What ball mount are you using?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,251 Posts
Is it the Subaru mount or one that sticks out further? I just bought the weigh safe ball but haven’t tested it for tongue weight yet.
The Subaru OEM ball mount has the ball about as tight to the vehicle as you can get. That weight safe looks pretty compact, honestly. If it's longer than the OEM, it's not by much based on the photos. Functionally from a towing perspective, that's a good feature relative to leverage exerted on the back of the tow vehicle.

I run with the OEM ball mount as it's the correct height for my trailer. I do own two other ball mounts and they are both substantially longer than the Subaru OEM unit by at least two inches if not more.

·
Administrator
11,135 Posts
Is it the Subaru mount or one that sticks out further? I just bought the weigh safe ball but haven’t tested it for tongue weight yet.
Tongue weight is generally not accurate enough for our needs, as it has a 10% margin of error (as much as 50 pounds).

·
Administrator
11,135 Posts
Using certified CAT scales at a truck stop provides axle weight with and without the trailer, trailer weight and tongue weight.
Indeed! But, it may be sometimes quicker to use on of the easy at home methods.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts