Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Th ordered the ascent with the hitch package. Is the wiring included for the controller?
yes. It will be included in your glove box. there is a plug that will be used to install the controller under the dash.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brake controller

What brake controller should I purchase for the Subaru Ascent.? It is confusing. There are so many out there with different prices. How do I know which one to pick?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Reactions: DAC

·
Registered
883 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
You can’t go wrong with the Tekonsha 90195 P3 Electronic Brake Control. I installed mine a few weeks back and finally got the chance to use it. I drove to Minnesota and picked up my new teardrop trailer, a Vistabule on 9/20 and the Tekonsha 90195 P3 brake controller worked flawessly. It’s worth every penny of its cost.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You can’t go wrong with the Tekonsha 90195 P3 Electronic Brake Control. I installed mine a few weeks back and finally got the chance to use it. I drove to Minnesota and picked up my new teardrop trailer, a Vistabule on 9/20 and the Tekonsha 90195 P3 brake controller worked flawessly. It’s worth every penny of its cost.
Jealous about the Vistabule. We have a [email protected] and love the teardroping world. Did you need anything other than the controller and tools? Where’d you stow the controller?

·
Registered
883 Posts
I got mine installed just to the left of the steering wheel right on that little shelf. I put 2 screws into the shelf to hold the mount in place. (Someone else used industrial velcro) Then just threaded the Tekonsha wiring harness down under the steering wheel, then crimped all those wires (color matching color) to the Subaru provided wiring harness. I zip tied up the spare wire under the dash, then plugged it in. Took under 30 mins.

Worked flawlessly towing a 3500 lb camper up the mountains. Brakes worked great!

No I can't see it normally while driving, but you don't need to. Only to adjust the settings and then I just leaned my head out to the side.

Also, the manual brake control lever is within easy reach too. Though with the Ascent I never had to use it, while I used it quite often with the 2011 Outback pulling a pop-up to straighten things out when the trailer got wobbly and would fish-tail a bit.

Attachments

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
38 Posts
I put mine in the same place. I used some of the foam tape to mount it. I didn't want it permanent yet so I built up the thickness of the tape on the bottom edges and top edges until it could be jammed into that spot and held with friction. It's working fine so far.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry for my delayed response, I’ve been away from my email for a few days. I’ve also installed my controller to the left of the steering wheel on the small shelf under the fuse box door. The plastic bracket fits nicely there with two small screws and I’ve angled it up to enable easier viewing and as the other member noted it’s difficult to see when driving but it’s really not necessary to see it unless you’re changing settings. My wife and I love the Vistabule and it tows great behind the Ascent. I’ve pulled the Vistabule for approximately 3000 miles to date and the Tekonsha controller works flawlessly. I’m planning a winter escape down south and will hit the road when there’s no snow here in western PA and will hang out in the Vistabule while enjoying some great hiking and sunshine and will come back when winter breaks. I checked out a [email protected] and they are very nice but the Vistabule won my heart with the superb quality, craftsmanship and sturdy build. If you get a chance and can get to St. Paul Minnesota it’s worth taking a tour of the factory and talking to Burt Taylor the mastermind behind the Vistabule design.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the info,

I'm shopping a new Ascent premium 7 passenger option 12 in Colorado. The dealer has agreed to install an OEM hitch and applicable wiring looms on site before delivery. It was not a port installed trailer hitch; this will be done at the dealership before I pick it up.

I'm anticipating the wire loom for the electric brake access (mentioned as being in glove box for port installed hitches) will not be included.

Does anyone have the part number for the wire loom found in the glovebox? I will likely have to grab one to complete my OEM hitch system to that of a port installed unit.

Thanks

·
Administrator
10,457 Posts
It'll be there.

Thanks for the info,

I'm shopping a new Ascent premium 7 passenger option 12 in Colorado. The dealer has agreed to install an OEM hitch and applicable wiring looms on site before delivery. It was not a port installed trailer hitch; this will be done at the dealership before I pick it up.

I'm anticipating the wire loom for the electric brake access (mentioned as being in glove box for port installed hitches) will not be included.

Does anyone have the part number for the wire loom found in the glovebox? I will likely have to grab one to complete my OEM hitch system to that of a port installed unit.

Thanks
It will be in the glove box. The OEM hitch kit is the same, whether installed at the port or at the dealer. The drop hitch goes in the trunk, in its box, under the floor, and the harness (also part of the kit) goes in the glove box, or, if they put it elsewhere, usually next to the drop hitch box under the rear cargo floor. If you can't find it, ask them where they put it.

Refer to page 2 of the instructions, box "O" to see the brake controller pigtail that comes in the kit. The additional wiring (the plug in the dash) is a part of the car from the factory.

Hitch Instructions: https://subaru.oemdtc.com/AccessoryInstallationGuide/L101SXC002.pdf

·
Registered
23 Posts
It will be in the glove box. The OEM hitch kit is the same, whether installed at the port or at the dealer. The drop hitch goes in the trunk, in its box, under the floor, and the harness (also part of the kit) goes in the glove box, or, if they put it elsewhere, usually next to the drop hitch box under the rear cargo floor. If you can't find it, ask them where they put it.

Refer to page 2 of the instructions, box "O" to see the brake controller pigtail that comes in the kit. The additional wiring (the plug in the dash) is a part of the car from the factory.

Hitch Instructions: https://subaru.oemdtc.com/AccessoryInstallationGuide/L101SXC002.pdf
Exactly what I was hoping to hear Rob, thank you.

I have been browsing the forum and see a lot of great info you have provided to the community. Thank you for sharing and chiming in.

I am coming from a 17 Outback limited 2.5 and am looking into the Ascent for obvious reasons, but the tow capacity to haul a pop up camper, MPG, 260 HP, and the fit and finish are a lot to like with this unit. Can't wait to get it.

The price is an excellent value in my opinion for the Ascent. I have a sale price negotiated to $32,500+tax+dealer fee ($599) for a premium 7 seater option 12 on the table. (That includes the hitch and all weather mats).

·
Administrator
10,457 Posts
Congrats on your purchase!!!

Exactly what I was hoping to hear Rob, thank you.

I have been browsing the forum and see a lot of great info you have provided to the community. Thank you for sharing and chiming in.

I am coming from a 17 Outback limited 2.5 and am looking into the Ascent for obvious reasons, but the tow capacity to haul a pop up camper, MPG, 260 HP, and the fit and finish are a lot to like with this unit. Can't wait to get it.

The price is an excellent value in my opinion for the Ascent. I have a sale price negotiated to $32,500+tax+dealer fee ($599) for a premium 7 seater option 12 on the table. (That includes the hitch and all weather mats).
Hi! And congrats, and, glad I could help!

A few tips... the drop hitch is REALLY low, so, consider a good, close up hitch. Don't use a weight distributing hitch (it will affect vehicle/trailer stability in the event of sway). And keep it at 80% of the vehicle's rating (standard suggestion for any car, to keep the car running well for a long time). But, you've probably already seen all the numerous threads on towing.

I went from a 2010 Outback Premium 6MT, and the power difference is night and banana. That different. Apples and elephants. No, seriously though, night and day, even though the Ascent is a thousand pounds heavier. I am guessing you know that too, since you've probably test driven it before making that great deal!

ONE warning... the car is fun (for a 7 seater)... but the price (quite literally) is that tank of gas you'll empty a lot quicker. I've found I can EASILY make the rated mpg, or even a tiny bit more, even on my gas eating all terrain tires. But, it's so much more fun to NOT worry about that. If you speed, if you're heavy on the pedal, if you like feeling that turbo kick in, you're going to be below the rated mpg by a decent amount. If you're easy on it, you can easily make the ratings. If you're a hypermiler, you'll crush the EPA ratings. :tango_face_wink:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts