Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lane Keep Assist or Lane Departure Warning - haven't focused on the icon due to actually driving.

Ascent Touring with all safety tech enabled. ACC is off.

Randomly, I will hear a beep and the Combination Meter Display will present an icon which looks like either LKA or LDW with "OFF" beneath it - but nothing else changes. BSD/RCTA, VDC, LKA, LDW, RAB all remain active per normal operational indicators (lights or lack of "XYZ Off" lights).

Didn't bump a switch. Didn't fiddle w/ settings. Befuddling ...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Same thing here - not sure why, but haven't dug into it. Seems to be transitioning to low speed related - maybe?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Lane Keep Assist or Lane Departure Warning - haven't focused on the icon due to actually driving.

Randomly, I will hear a beep and the Combination Meter Display will present an icon which looks like either LKA or LDW with "OFF" beneath it - but nothing else changes. BSD/RCTA, VDC, LKA, LDW, RAB all remain active per normal operational indicators (lights or lack of "XYZ Off" lights).

Thoughts?
It's the LKA and I think it only functions above 37 mph,IIRC. Also turns off when eyesight can't see lines on road.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thoughts?
It's the LKA and I think it only functions above 37 mph,IIRC. Also turns off when eyesight can't see lines on road.
Ah. Hmmmm ... so it works differently on an Ascent than a 2018 OB??? That's odd logic.

Which page of which manual contains this explanation?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Thanks for asking - seen the same thing and wondered what was going on. Like you, I couldn't figure out what exactly turns off and why.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I've only notice the "off" when it can't see the lines.
The keep only functions above 40 I think. It will still warn on lane departure at lower speeds from my recollection but it will not push you back to center.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Ah. Hmmmm ... so it works differently on an Ascent than a 2018 OB??? That's odd logic.

Which page of which manual contains this explanation?

There are many ways the lane departure prevention function can be cancelled without pressing the lane assist button.
From page 79 of the Eyesight Manual:

Under the following conditions, a beep sounds and the Lane Departure Prevention Function is temporarily canceled.
While the function is temporarily canceled, (Lane Keep Assist indicator) on the EyeSight display area illuminates in white and the lane indicator turns to gray. Also, the Lane Keep Assist cancellation message is displayed on the screen.

• When the system cannot detect the lane.
  • The windshield wiper operates at a high speed.
  • The vehicle speed is less than approximately 34 MPH (55 km/h) or is more than approximately 93 MPH (150 km/h).
  • The Vehicle Dynamics Control or the Traction Control Function is activated.
  • Either the driver’s door, the front passenger’s door or the rear door is open.
  • The seatbelt of driver’s seat is unfastened.
  • The electronic parking brake is applied.
  • The select lever is shifted to a position other than or position.
Also on page 78, note says:

• If you just lightly put your hands on the steering wheel for a certain period of time or if you do not operate the steering wheel, the function will temporarily be canceled. (Lane Keep Assist indicator) illuminates in white again. Also, the Lane Keep Assist cancellation message is displayed on the screen.

Reactions: kathytn

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are many ways the lane departure prevention function can be cancelled without pressing the lane assist button.
From page 79 of the Eyesight Manual:

Under the following conditions, a beep sounds and the Lane Departure Prevention Function is temporarily canceled.
While the function is temporarily canceled, (Lane Keep Assist indicator) on the EyeSight display area illuminates in white and the lane indicator turns to gray. Also, the Lane Keep Assist cancellation message is displayed on the screen.

• When the system cannot detect the lane.
  • The windshield wiper operates at a high speed.
  • The vehicle speed is less than approximately 34 MPH (55 km/h) or is more than approximately 93 MPH (150 km/h).
  • The Vehicle Dynamics Control or the Traction Control Function is activated.
  • Either the driver’s door, the front passenger’s door or the rear door is open.
  • The seatbelt of driver’s seat is unfastened.
  • The electronic parking brake is applied.
  • The select lever is shifted to a position other than or position.
Also on page 78, note says:

• If you just lightly put your hands on the steering wheel for a certain period of time or if you do not operate the steering wheel, the function will temporarily be canceled. (Lane Keep Assist indicator) illuminates in white again. Also, the Lane Keep Assist cancellation message is displayed on the screen.
Thx huge for this. I will dig in later, but do you happen to know if I can disable the beep associated with just this feature?

Gotta say, this is some wacked logic. While driving the same route at same time of day in both a 2018 OB and 2019 Ascent, I only get this '... temporarily be canceled ..." nonsense in the Ascent. I *think* driving in a straight line and/or traffic must meet the criteria for "... do not operate the steering wheel ..." timeout - this would be impressively bad design.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Same thing has been happening to me. I've been paying attention over the past few days and am noticing that it seems to occur most often when I first enter an intersection. This seems to suggest that it is triggered by the loss of pavement lines? That said, it also seems to occur randomly sometimes even if the pavement lines appear to be good. Most times it occurs when the vehicle is traveling around 40-45 mph.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thx huge for this. I will dig in later, but do you happen to know if I can disable the beep associated with just this feature?

Gotta say, this is some wacked logic. While driving the same route at same time of day in both a 2018 OB and 2019 Ascent, I only get this '... temporarily be canceled ..." nonsense in the Ascent. I *think* driving in a straight line and/or traffic must meet the criteria for "... do not operate the steering wheel ..." timeout - this would be impressively bad design.

the left hand button on the eyesight camera console controls the beep. Hold it for a couple seconds to turn on or off the beep....I asked the tech guy what the button was for yesterday:smile_big:

·
Administrator
11,121 Posts
LKA turns off for various reasons, including VDC turning on.

The more common reasons are, when LKA is active, it loses a lane marker it needs (or both), or the user decelerates below 35mph.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts