Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These now appear on their website: https://eibach.com/us/i-12231-pro-lift-kit-springs-front-rear-springs.html

They claim a 1.7" Front and 1.4" Rear lift.

Question: How is this different than a conventional lift from a company like LP Adventures?

Are there any advantages to a spring only type lift?

What will this do to the behavior of the suspension? Stiffer ride? Softer ride? More sway in turns?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I don't know how a spring lift can be accomplished with the stock shocks. Doing so will extend the shock past it's normal ride height. Most shocks have internal valves that engage at various lengths of the stroke. As the shock is compressed the valve changes to stiffen the damping. Also, the highway ride range of stroke is usually pretty soft. By making the ride taller with springs, the shocks are no longer in the optimal range for running on pavement; small bumps, or for running off pavement; large bumps. Maybe the kit includes some sort of shock extender of the same length as the spring provides for increase, there by putting the shock back to it's correct valving position based on ride.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Eibach states that they tested the springs with the OEM shocks, whatever that truly means. I'd be shocked if the OEM dampers in the Ascent are sophisticated enough to have variable damping across their compression range.
-------------
The difference between a lift done with spacers vs. a spring lift is that the spring lift is "stealing" some of the droop of the suspension, but adding to the compression. I don't know how altering the compression:droop ratio affects handling - I'm definitely no expert. I just know a tiny bit about droop from playing with RC cars. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
What you're calling droop is more commonly know as sag. Sag can be reduced with either longer springs of the same rate, springs of higher rate, or both. It doesn't say what the spring rate is or what the free length is compared to stock so it's hard to say how they will perform.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know how a spring lift can be accomplished with the stock shocks. Doing so will extend the shock past it's normal ride height. Most shocks have internal valves that engage at various lengths of the stroke.
This is exactly what I'm wondering about. Seems like it will cause an issue with the shocks eventually.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Does anyone if these springs would also work in combination with the LP Adventure strut spancers? Would this combination give us a total 3.75 inch lift?
Is it possible - yes.

It would put the suspension and axle shafts in sharper angles. You may not be able to get the alignment back to where it belongs. I would suspect the life of the suspension, tires, axles, and differential would be greatly shortened. Also you may induce some interesting vibrations at various speeds. Personally I would not recommend doing this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts