Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Abyss Blue Pearl
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently traded a 2014 RDX. It had a respectable 8.1" of ground clearance but a wide sill that made it difficult to step over when the car was dirty. The car was very impractical to use in the spring on muddy, dirt roads in Minnesota. My wife was always complaining about her pants legs getting dirty, and the complaints were justified.

I tried a Pilot which has a modest 7.3 inches of clearance. The sill felt better organized, but despite being closer to the road I felt like I was stepping up and over into the car, much like the RDX. If I'd owned one I would have considered a sideboard for easier, cleaner access.

We bought the Ascent which has has 8.7 inches of ground clearance. This should be helpful for us in the snow up north. It has by far the easiest step in access. My wife loves it. Spring hasn't arrived in Minnesota yet (snow plows already rolling there), it seems like it will be much easer to keep cuffs clean while getting in and out of the car when it's dirty.

If there's a question here, it's this: how do they manage to get such great ground clearance, and yet make it so easy to step in to? I find the engineering mechanics here pretty interesting.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
It's mostly magic... I think. And how the deck is set up on the Subaru Global Platform (but even so, it's probably magic). It's something they bragged about during their pre-release media dumps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Probably is magic. When we were looking to buy a new car each salesman always asked what we were looking for and I told him "one that is easy for me to get into". They didn't know how to respond to that. I know that Subaru is marketed to the younger active folks, but us senior citizens have found them to be desirable as well. They seem to be the easiest to get into of all the brands out there. And they're comfortable. After driving for 2 hours, the alert about taking a break was something I was not expecting, so there are many nice features on it that I'm still discovering.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I use mine to take my short very frail 92 yo mother in law to her medical appointments. She gets in and out OK...just not very quickly.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
One of the major reasons I bought my Ascent--in addition to the extra space in the back and it being a Subaru--was to provide easier access for my spouse to enter/exit. I had to use the low park-level on my Grand Cherokee's air suspension to help with that, but the Ascent's stance combined with the design of the doors, etc., really contributes to easy entry/exit...even for me and I'm quite a bit taller than Professor Dr. SWMBO.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.