Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most people would be happy if they’re Ascent arrived early but not me. I ordered a new Touring from the factory in beginning of February. Was told to expect 8 week delivery, which I explained would be perfect. Salesmen mentioned at the time that they could try to get the vehicle sooner by doing a swap with another dealer. I explained I did not want this and wanted to wait for my order with the estimated 8 week delivery. Well, on Friday I got a call that my car had just been taken off the truck and was ready for me to pick up. They did a swap with another dealer. I am not happy because I’m currently having work done on my house and there is a giant dumpster in my driveway and various trucks and workmen going in and out of my driveway on a daily basis. This is where my Ascent would be parked. Work on my house will be done in 2 weeks. I would like to ask if they have another car with my specs coming in closer to my original time frame. Is this reasonable? Any other suggestions? Am I being crazy? Don’t everyone say yes at once.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Interesting dilemma. I suggest you take delivery of the vehicle but arrange that the vehicle remain parked at the dealership for the duration of the remodel (assuming you do not have any other secure place to park it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Even though we have had very good relationships with most of the dealerships we have worked with over the last decade or so, I still live by something I read long ago: "I have all the leverage right up until the moment I sign. The moment I sign I have none." Especially given that they did exactly what you told them NOT to, I would leave it as their problem until you are ready to take delivery on your terms.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Dealers live or die on their customer relations and reputations. Since it would not cost them anything, it ought to be something they are happy to do. If I owned a dealership and I can make a customer happy without any skin off my back, I would jump at the chance.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Dealers have places to store cars... it's what they do. Waiting 2 weeks for them should not be a problem!

You already have a deposit on it I assume since you ordered it, so they already know you're serious. 2 weeks should not be a problem especially when you told them you didn't want it rushed, but they did anyway!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,843 Posts
I agree that while this is normally a great benefit, in your case you were explicit about your delivery time expectations and made other decisions. Just thank them for being ready to go when you are ready and ask them to just hold the vehicle until you are capable of taking delivery per your original request. It sounds like it will still be a March delivery, so they will still benefit from it in the current month's numbers.

Reactions: packout

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I will prob just have them hold it for a couple of weeks as has been suggested. My paranoid side has me picturing multiple potential buyers climbing in it and taking it for crazy test drives. My sales person at my request has told me it has 6.8 miles on it so I should be able to monitor this potential concern.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Just go put a deposit down to secure it and leave it there for 2wks. I'm sure that's reasonable bc it's only march 4.

It sounds like you ordered something that's popular, in terms of sales for the dealer. I bought a very unpopular Limited 7pass which exclude sunroof, weather mat, and other gizmos. When I ordered mine, the salesman offered to sell me the same thing but w/ $3K of stuff I don't need (included sunroof and other stuff) and it was already in their pipeline for delivery - NO THANK YOU!! I waited for 3mo and days.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
My auto broker is holding my vehicle until this Wednesday when I can pick it up. In the meanwhile he had requests for others to test drive it (not for selling, but to just test it out). He refused permission. good broker.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I expressed my concern to my sales person and he assured me that others would not be allowed to test drive it. He sent me a picture of my vehicle with a “sold” sign in the windshield and told me the mileage on it (6.8 mi). He seems to be a good salesperson.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Tell him your out of town and will be back in 2 weeks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts