Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at purchasing a small utility trailer with a 15 inch tongue height. I was looking for a dual hitch set up, where I could have the kid’s bike rack on top receiver and the 2 inch ball on the bottom receiver for the trailer. Anybody have any idea what drop I need to get to manage this setup? Or where I should purchase the dual hitch receiver adapter? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
223 Posts
You will want a dual hitch receiver, one with a drop, to be used with your trailer. The problem with these is that it extends the ball quite far away from the vehicle thereby destabilizing the trailer (effectively decreasing your allowable tongue weight). Sounds like your utility trailer is small and lightweight. 15" hitch height is very low, you'll have to do the math, but likely you'll require approximately 3" drop on the dual hitch adapter, then use the 6" ball drop provided with your Subaru hitch. Here is something I found quickly

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,907 Posts
I am looking at purchasing a small utility trailer with a 15 inch tongue height. I was looking for a dual hitch set up, where I could have the kid’s bike rack on top receiver and the 2 inch ball on the bottom receiver for the trailer. Anybody have any idea what drop I need to get to manage this setup? Or where I should purchase the dual hitch receiver adapter? Any help is appreciated.
A 6" drop puts the ball at 18-19" from the ground so you'll you'll need 3" more inches to get down to 15"...that's a REALLY low hitch setup for a trailer.

·
Super Moderator
3,907 Posts
use the 6" ball drop provided with your Subaru hitch.
The Subaru ball mount was only included for part of the MY19 run for folks who bought the OEM hitch. Beyond late production MY19 and all of MY20, it was no longer included.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The Subaru ball mount was only included for part of the MY19 run for folks who bought the OEM hitch. Beyond late production MY19 and all of MY20, it was no longer included.
That's too bad. I think it's a well made product with the right drop for many trailers.

·
Super Moderator
3,907 Posts
That's too bad. I think it's a well made product with the right drop for many trailers.
I agree. It was a perfect match for my utility trailer. The same height would have applied to my horse trailer, but I had already sold it and it wouldn't have been appropriate to haul with the Ascent anyway. I believe you can still buy the Subaru OEM ball mount, but it's relatively high priced for many folks, despite it being excellent in construction.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.