Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Drove from northern Virginia down to my parent's house in Elizabeth City North Carolina. Since I really dislike I-95, I hung a left at Fredricksburg and drove her down rt. 17 through Tappahannock, Yorktown, and Tidewater. Rained the whole durn way, sometimes fairly hard. This meant I got to experience the Eyesight shutting off due to visibility issues, which scared the dooky outa me the first time when all the lights popped up at me from the dash. Once my freak-out diminished a bit I realized it was just a visibility issue, not the end of civilization as we know it.

My thoughts...

Good 'ole Quicksilver (the name the kids and I came to agree on for her) is a heck of alot more comfortable for hours in the driver's seat than the Crosstrek. I loved my Trek... I did, but she was not a comfortable road trip car. The seats in the Trek are a bit too short for me so I didn't get the thigh support that I find comfortable for long drives, but the Big A has seats that feel much more supportive for me.

The Eyesight ROCKS for road trips. The lane keep assist and the ACC were fantastic in the stretch of I-95 I had to drive before getting to Freddysburg, and were even helpful on 17. In the heavy rush-hour traffic I find the blind spot aids really really helpful, and the extra power Quicksilver can access for quickly changing lanes, passing, merging, and even just pulling ahead of the pack (I have another name for big groups of other cars and drivers, but it aint too family friendly :D ) from stop lights is very nice to have. I'm not one who ever considered the Trek to be "under-powered" in any way, but I freely admit she aint no speed demon either.

I'm sitting here trying to think of any negatives to write about the experience, and I really can't think of any. When my wife first dragged me to the dealership (yeah, I'm totally lyin here, she never has to drag me to the dealership), even though I've been eyein the Ascent for awhile, I was completely prepared to be disappointed that it replaced my much loved Crosstrek. Fortunately, I'm findin myself more and more pleasantly surprised, and even delighted, in how the Big A drives and feels. There's some twisty bits of the road in a section or two, and even that was still fun in the Ascent. I even think the stock speakers sound better than the stock speakers in the Crosstrek. With it having a CD player (my 2018 Crosstrek premium infotainment system did not come with a CD player), and my getting SXM, even my music selection was a much greater variety. The trip has left me with a desire to take more road trips :D It was actually fun (once I got away from I-95 anyway).

·
Registered
686 Posts
I've only been able to log a 3-hour trip with her (approx. 180 miles; total round-trip time ~6 hours) since taking delivery in early November, but I've also gotta say that I found the highway experience very, very relaxing. And that's in spite of some rather significant weather along the way.

The miles passed in no-time, really, and I think that this was significantly due to the ACC.

The Ascent is my first Eyesight vehicle (we've been with Subaru since 2005, and with my wife's '19 WRX, we're now on our 9th), and I wish I'd made that jump, sooner.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm right with ya on the Eyesight. The Big A is my first with that tech as well, and I also wish I'd have had it along for the last few drives between N. VA and N. FL. I also think the next time we do that drive, the combo of Eyesight and the bigger, roomier, more powerful vehicle is going to decrease the stress and discomfort of the trip exponentially.

·
Registered
686 Posts
... more powerful vehicle is going to decrease the stress and discomfort of the trip exponentially.
I'm with you on that, too.

I went from a Stage 2+ '05 LGT to a '13 Tribeca. The LGT made merging on-ramps and take-offs from toll-booths a joke, and the '13 Tribeca was at least class-average...so you could imagine how hard my antiperspirant worked when I next transitioned into a '16 2.5i Outback Limited. :tango_face_surprise:smile_big:

In all honesty, I stepped into the showroom this time around all set to pull out my wallet on a '19 Outback in 3.6R Touring trim. But I fell in love with the Ascent on first drive.

I feel like the Ascent runs out of steam up top, but it's at least made my merging and toll-booths more relaxed, now that it's at what I'd consider to be "reasonable/class-average" for its size. :)

And I honestly think that they did an exceptional job tuning the suspension with the SGA platform for this vehicle. It rides as a vehicle of its intended purpose should.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've made a few 3 hour trips to my hunting trailer. It is a pleasure to drive and the only car I have had that I looked forward to driving long distances (previously, I had an Expedition, GMC 1/2 ton Sierra , and Toyota Tacoma - the only 2wd of the three). I even like driving it better than my wife's 2014 Forester.

I can't wait for May to get here. We have two friends coming who have never been to the US. I've planned a road trip from Dallas to the Grand Canyon and back with no backtracking on the highways. It will be a real test of road comfort in the front and back seats. There are some long boring stretches of pavement in the route so I bought a radar detector just in case....

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welp, drove her home again yesterday. Decided to track the MPGs for the trip and now for my commutes for at least this week, perhaps beyond. I've used Fuelly before, and am a user of the aCar app which uses Fuelly, so I decided to use it again. Filled up not long into my drive home, then filled her up again not long before arriving home. Drove rt. 17 home again, with brief stretches on I-64 and I-95 to 495 to 267 (toll road). Along 95 and 495 I drove the tolled express lanes. The car tracked my average as about 23.9 MPG. Oddly enough, the limited data Fuelly currently has calculates my avg MPGs as 24.5. Can't say I've seen that happen before, although I'm sure as more data is gathered into Fuelly it'll drop some. Still, pretty dang happy to be observing better mileage than I expected.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Drove from northern Virginia down to my parent's house in Elizabeth City North Carolina. Since I really dislike I-95, I hung a left at Fredricksburg and drove her down rt. 17 through Tappahannock, Yorktown, and Tidewater. Rained the whole durn way, sometimes fairly hard. This meant I got to experience the Eyesight shutting off due to visibility issues, which scared the dooky outa me the first time when all the lights popped up at me from the dash. Once my freak-out diminished a bit I realized it was just a visibility issue, not the end of civilization as we know it.

My thoughts...

Good 'ole Quicksilver (the name the kids and I came to agree on for her) is a heck of alot more comfortable for hours in the driver's seat than the Crosstrek. I loved my Trek... I did, but she was not a comfortable road trip car. The seats in the Trek are a bit too short for me so I didn't get the thigh support that I find comfortable for long drives, but the Big A has seats that feel much more supportive for me.

The Eyesight ROCKS for road trips. The lane keep assist and the ACC were fantastic in the stretch of I-95 I had to drive before getting to Freddysburg, and were even helpful on 17. In the heavy rush-hour traffic I find the blind spot aids really really helpful, and the extra power Quicksilver can access for quickly changing lanes, passing, merging, and even just pulling ahead of the pack (I have another name for big groups of other cars and drivers, but it aint too family friendly :D ) from stop lights is very nice to have. I'm not one who ever considered the Trek to be "under-powered" in any way, but I freely admit she aint no speed demon either.

I'm sitting here trying to think of any negatives to write about the experience, and I really can't think of any. When my wife first dragged me to the dealership (yeah, I'm totally lyin here, she never has to drag me to the dealership), even though I've been eyein the Ascent for awhile, I was completely prepared to be disappointed that it replaced my much loved Crosstrek. Fortunately, I'm findin myself more and more pleasantly surprised, and even delighted, in how the Big A drives and feels. There's some twisty bits of the road in a section or two, and even that was still fun in the Ascent. I even think the stock speakers sound better than the stock speakers in the Crosstrek. With it having a CD player (my 2018 Crosstrek premium infotainment system did not come with a CD player), and my getting SXM, even my music selection was a much greater variety. The trip has left me with a desire to take more road trips :D It was actually fun (once I got away from I-95 anyway).
Apples and oranges. The Crosstrek is a lifted Impreza nothing more, I know I have one and love it(Sport model) the only item and it is a big one is the basic chassis design is the same on the Crosstrek(SGP). We will see how the Ascent feels in comfort when the new Outback is out. I have a feeling it will take 2nd place when it comes to comfort.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Apples and oranges. The Crosstrek is a lifted Impreza nothing more, I know I have one and love it(Sport model) the only item and it is a big one is the basic chassis design is the same on the Crosstrek(SGP). We will see how the Ascent feels in comfort when the new Outback is out. I have a feeling it will take 2nd place when it comes to comfort.

Not sure what you're referring to as "apples and oranges". I know exactly what the Crosstrek is, I've owned and driven two of them, a 2015 and a 2018. I compared the Crosstrek with the Ascent because I have driven all three (both Treks and the Ascent) on the exact same route. I loved my Treks, especially the 2018, but I stand by my opinion that the Crosstrek is not as comfortable of a road trip car for me. Now comparing the Ascent with any kind of Outback would be apples/oranges for me because I have never owned an Outback, and most likely never will own an Outback (although nothing is impossible). I have also compared the Ascent to the Ford Taurus we used to own, because it was also a comfortable road trip car. The reason I made the comparisons I have is because these are the cars I have owned and driven on this exact trip. That's the common point of reference.

I'm trying to figure out what your point is for what you posted. Do you not find the Ascent to be comfortable during road trips? If so, that would be unfortunate for you, but I'm unsure how that affects my depiction of my experience.

I have all kinds of feelings. However, I try not to allow them to generate expectations, because until something can be experienced in the real world, it's all just fantasy and illusion. You may be right about some future Outback. You may be wrong. Most likely, time will tell. In the meantime, I'm going to go ahead and enjoy my Ascent. During road trips. I'm also going to keep comparing it to my previous car too... a 2018 Crosstrek.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Trip to New Mexico -750 miles round trip
Trip to San Diego - 800 miles

Upcoming Trip to Dallas - 2200 miles round trip

Oh yeah... love the eyesight and adaptive cruise control, especially when I get tired! On long stretches in New Mexico, it's easy to get a bit droopy (1 hour between car sightings is normal!) and eyesight is there "just in case" I start wandering!

Very comfortable, though I loved my Outback too and did a road trip to Portland and back too.

Over 11,000 miles in and only minor complaints (like front cup holders!)

·
Registered
646 Posts
Not sure what you're referring to as "apples and oranges". I know exactly what the Crosstrek is, I've owned and driven two of them, a 2015 and a 2018. I compared the Crosstrek with the Ascent because I have driven all three (both Treks and the Ascent) on the exact same route. I loved my Treks, especially the 2018, but I stand by my opinion that the Crosstrek is not as comfortable of a road trip car for me. Now comparing the Ascent with any kind of Outback would be apples/oranges for me because I have never owned an Outback, and most likely never will own an Outback (although nothing is impossible). I have also compared the Ascent to the Ford Taurus we used to own, because it was also a comfortable road trip car. The reason I made the comparisons I have is because these are the cars I have owned and driven on this exact trip. That's the common point of reference.

I'm trying to figure out what your point is for what you posted. Do you not find the Ascent to be comfortable during road trips? If so, that would be unfortunate for you, but I'm unsure how that affects my depiction of my experience.

I have all kinds of feelings. However, I try not to allow them to generate expectations, because until something can be experienced in the real world, it's all just fantasy and illusion. You may be right about some future Outback. You may be wrong. Most likely, time will tell. In the meantime, I'm going to go ahead and enjoy my Ascent. During road trips. I'm also going to keep comparing it to my previous car too... a 2018 Crosstrek.
The Crosstrek is your basic economy car and the Ascent is suppose to be Subaru's flagship. I do find the Ascent comfortable but not anymore the the limited 2016 Outback it replaced. It is a touch quieter and it does ride smoother than my prior Outback.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Crosstrek is your basic economy car and the Ascent is suppose to be Subaru's flagship. I do find the Ascent comfortable but not anymore the the limited 2016 Outback it replaced. It is a touch quieter and it does ride smoother than my prior Outback.
Still not quite sure what that has to do with my comparative experiences driving them on my road trip. If you're not happy with my comparison, I vigorously invite you to read other threads. Others seem to be getting the point just fine. You just seem to feel you need to keep pointing out to me what my last two cars were. They were my last two cars. I think I got it.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Still not quite sure what that has to do with my comparative experiences driving them on my road trip. If you're not happy with my comparison, I vigorously invite you to read other threads. Others seem to be getting the point just fine. You just seem to feel you need to keep pointing out to me what my last two cars were. They were my last two cars. I think I got it.
I get your point,
you don't get mine which is the Ascent should be and is more comfortable and a better highway cruiser than Subaru's entry level car. No brainer!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I get your point,
you don't get mine which is the Ascent should be and is more comfortable and a better highway cruiser than Subaru's entry level car. No brainer!

Of course I get that "point". However, just because it should be doesn't mean it was guaranteed to be. I related my experience both to inform others that in my experience the Ascent IS more comfortable, and to express how pleased I am that it grants me that benefit (among others), because in other ways I'm kinda bummed about not having the Crosstrek anymore. I also don't agree that the Crosstrek is Subaru's entry level car. The starting price for a base model is thousands more than an Imp. Yes, it's mostly the same, but not completely, and IMO is a step up from entry level. Not that that means anything at all in relation to the topic at hand. I have driven "entry level" cars that were actual entry level cars that were more comfortable on road trips than the Crosstrek. My 2003 Ford Focus was one. So as anyone that actually participates in Crosstreks forums would know, more than just a few folks have found the Crosstrek to actually be surprisingly uncomfortable on longer drives. Many of us discussed how the seats seem to not provide enough thigh and/or lumbar support. It has been very satisfying to me to not have that complaint in my new car.

I don't really appreciate you coming into my thread where I'm trying to express my appreciation for a feature of the Ascent that I feel is a benefit over the car it replaced and apparently seeking to create some sort of strawman argument and completely derail the point and tone of the thread. So you go ahead and argue to your heart's content over meaningless drivel, including all the subtle digs you want. I'll be moving on to other threads since this one is pretty much a lost cause at this point. Congrats on "proving" how much smarter you are.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I think the main takeaway here is that Subaru makes high quality cars across the board.

I loved my WRX
I loved my "normal" Impreza
I loved my 2 Outbacks
I love my Ascent

The Ascent is another model for Subaru and not really a big departure like Hyundai going from the Elantra to the Genesis Luxury line!

Reactions: BlueAscent

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Agreed, 17 is the way to go heading southbound to the Norfolk/Beach area from NOVA. For years we use to sit or fly on 95. Hit or miss. 17 is just less stressful.

And to me, that's worth it even if it would take me hours longer, and I don't think it extends the trip anywhere close to that much, so 17 is my go-to route for Tidewater and points south of Tidewater for the foreseeable future :)

·
Registered
559 Posts
I’m a little worried about our upcoming 1600 mi round trip to Vancouver. The wonky steering still bugs me. I’m still having a hard time keeping it centered in the lanes.

The last time we did the same trip we took our 2917 F450. You’d think that a 9500 lb, 22 ft long, big butt dually would be a handful, especially since I only have a few inches to spare on each side of the truck. But it was easy and smooth.

I’m hoping the same trip in the Ascent will be equally pleasant.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I’m a little worried about our upcoming 1600 mi round trip to Vancouver. The wonky steering still bugs me. I’m still having a hard time keeping it centered in the lanes.

The last time we did the same trip we took our 2917 F450. You’d think that a 9500 lb, 22 ft long, big butt dually would be a handful, especially since I only have a few inches to spare on each side of the truck. But it was easy and smooth.

I’m hoping the same trip in the Ascent will be equally pleasant.

Actually, I'd think the size and weight of the F450 would make it a good cruiser. I mean that's one of things that has always been seen as a benefit of Caddilac's ginormous old boats, they are smooth and comfortable highway cruisers (as long as there are plenty of gas stations along the route :D ). After two Crosstreks I think I'm just used to Subaru's steering. It actually took me awhile to get used to my wife's Mustang's steering while we had it, very different than the Miata that I had been driving. I did eventually get used to it though. I'm betting you'll be fine (or were fine if you've done the trip already). The thing that I'm still not quite used to is how much the vehicle is affected by cross-winds. The Crosstreks had the same issue, and I'm pretty sure it's due to the height of the vehicles (both tallness of the cars and the ground clearance rasing the vehicles off the ground), but for years before the Subaru's I'd been driving small, low to the ground sports cars like my much beloved Miata. Kinda freaked me out the first time I noticed it in the 2015 Trek, but also surprised me when I felt the big 'ole Ascent get blown around by what seemed to me to not be all that crazy strong of wind gusts. We adapt though.

·
Registered
824 Posts
My experience with crosswinds and Subaru started with the ‘16 Outback we had,gonna chalk it up to the stance of the vehicle.I have experienced it also in the Big A along with the hood bounce but at the same time it’s more stable than the Outback probably due to curb weight.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.