Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I never ever drive on the road without a seatbelt. But every since getting my Ascent a few months ago I've found myself needing to move the car a very short distance, say 5 feet, or maybe out the driveway into the road for street parking for snow clearing, and the Ascent will not let me release the parking brake for these short trips. I needed to do this the other visiting a friends' house. He wanted me next to his car, not behind it.

Is there a way to turn off this "feature?"

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,828 Posts
Either just be in the habit of buckling up every time you get behind the wheel even for moving it a few feet or don't use the parking brake...

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
First, I never ever drive on the road without a seatbelt. But every since getting my Ascent a few months ago I've found myself needing to move the car a very short distance, say 5 feet, or maybe out the driveway into the road for street parking for snow clearing, and the Ascent will not let me release the parking brake for these short trips. I needed to do this the other visiting a friends' house. He wanted me next to his car, not behind it.

Is there a way to turn off this "feature?"
Is this a 2020 feature? I always set the parking brake and I move my 2019 out of the garage almost daily without having to buckle up the seat belt to release the brake.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a cool trick with the seatbelt, but I have some family members who forget to put it on, so I want the chime. And yes, it seems to be a 2020 "feature," I just went out to the driveway to move the car since a guest is coming over and I tried all sorts of things, foot on the brake, foot off the break, neutral. Nothing.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Gotta be a mistake. If my car was that restrictive, I would just flip the damn car over... lol

p.s. if true, I'm gonna avoid the dealership from now on or tell them not to update any software.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, so I'm officially a moron. I had been pulling up on the switch to turn it on so I figured that pulling up on the switch turns if off.

Nope. Pushing down on the switch turns it off and that means you can back down the driveway without buckling up.

Yay!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts