Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took delivery last week on a 2021 Touring Ascent.

One setting is not active. It's the driving range on remaining fuel indicator. It's stuck at 200 miles.

Any thoughts on how to resolve this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

One setting is not active. It's the driving range on remaining fuel indicator. It's stuck at 200 miles.

Thanks.
Have you tried turning it off and back on again? :D (British comedy fans will get this one).

Seriously, though, it takes a while to update. If you've driven it over 50 miles or so and it still doesn't update then you may have an issue.

You should bring this to the attention of your dealer. If you like, you can try removing the negative lead of the battery, waiting about 10-15 minutes, and then reconnecting it. This will reboot the ECU and perhaps resolve the problem. Worth a try.

·
Registered
186 Posts
It should reset to something over 300mi when you fill the tank

idliing thru the lot at Costco after a fillup after highway trip @ +75mph

·
Administrator
778 Posts
Initial off topic response here... @pro10is - IT Crowd reference?

The miles to empty does take time to change. It depends on miles driven so far and how much you've pressed that go pedal.

My wife's `16 Impreza will say 300+ miles for nearly a week the way she drives it. As soon as I get behind the wheel, it drops significantly.

C.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
If I drive it after my wife the miles to empty stays the same or goes up because I drive slower / smoother than she does. The computer is looking at the updated gas mileage and updating the miles to empty. I have driven to work (about 50 miles) without the miles to empty changing.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Also, the miles to empty goes by 10 mile increments. This is something different than most other cars so it will often display the same number for a while.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Yeah. It's weird and different from all other range meters I've had in that it doesn't just go down as your drive, it will also go up. If driving in a situation that gives unusually good mileage (strong tail wind, long downhill, like I80 west off the Sierra) it'll increase and show a diculous range. I filled up in a situation like that and got something over 700 miles indicated at one point. It took 30-50 miles to get down to something realistic. Also, near empty it might show 20 miles left, then jump to 40, then back down to 30 etc. Previous vehicles only went down. In good mileage situations they just went down more slowly.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Have you tried turning it off and back on again? :D (British comedy fans will get this one).

Seriously, though, it takes a while to update. If you've driven it over 50 miles or so and it still doesn't update then you may have an issue.

You should bring this to the attention of your dealer. If you like, you can try removing the negative lead of the battery, waiting about 10-15 minutes, and then reconnecting it. This will reboot the ECU and perhaps resolve the problem. Worth a try.
"turning it off and on again". What an absurd approach. I always first try "disabling the power flow to my device, then re-establishing said power flow "

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts

Thanks.

Have you reset your trip odometer yet? That'll reset gas mileage, which always seems to be "weird" when it comes from the factory.

One other thing, if your gas mileage goes up, the trip odometer can stay the same as the projects miles goes up to offset the miles you've driven. Especially if you start out around town, then do a steady cruise on the highway.

Basic example:
10 gals left, 20 mpg ==> 200 mile range
9 gals left , 22mpg ==> 198 mile range which rounds up to 200 miles.

I did have it the other way where mine dropped at an alarming rate. I was getting 10... yes 10 mpg on the highway because of a fierce headwind. When I filled up it said, "180 miles range". And yes, 150 miles later I stopped for gas and nearly filled up!

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
When I do towing or off-roading (like sand or serious rocky climbs at crazy inclines) - or even mountains, my fuel range drops due to the bad MPG... as things get more normal, it sits, then eventually rises... but, it sits for a bit, because there's less gas and a big mpg deficit to work off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts