Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Filled up yesterday and it indicated a driving range of 770 miles! It was during the first long-ish drive on the new Ascent, ~250 miles, staring out with 3/8 of a tank. Previous to this I only had ~1600 miles on the odo and had filled her up only a handful of times. The low fuel alarm came on when expected and the driving range indicated 40 miles, as has been usual so far. After that, the range indication fluctuated between 20, 30 and 40 seemingly randomly as I continued driving. It was indicating 0 a few miles before pulling into the gas station. It took 17.6 gal. (nominal capacity of 19.3). After the fill up, it indicated 770 miles range. When I got home ~90 miles later, it was showing 420 miles range.

On a previous fill up, the range was getting close to 0 and it took 16.2 gal. My two previous car's range indications were very reliable counting down and reading 0 with exactly 3 gallons in the tank every time. So far the Ascent's range indication isn't doing as well.

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
That's odd.. I'd bring it up at your next service.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. I'll keep an eye on it until then. I drove it about 20 miles today and it still was indicating way too much range. The fuel gauge, mileage numbers and everything else looked fine. It's only the driving range that's out of wack.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everything else is and has been miles, and 770 km would be 475 miles, so still too high. That said, maybe switching to km and then back to miles might reset something. I'll see what happens next time I fill up and if it's still weird I might try that.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Switching back and forth between mi and km did nothing other than the expected numerical change, km being 1.61 x greater than mi. However, having driven more and with the fuel gauge now reading ~2/3 full, the driving range has rapidly decreased to what is a reasonable 240 miles. I would say it seems to have corrected itself. The next test is what it does the next time I fill up.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update. The driving range continued to look appropriate down to the low fuel warning activating at 40 mile driving range. The driving range decreased in increments of 10 miles to 30, 20, 10 for each additional 10 miles driven, as it should. At 10 indicated, I filled up and it took 17 gallons. Driving off, the driving range indicated 350 miles. So, it looks like it's back to normal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts