Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read this and want to know if it's true that if you want to burn out a CVT fast you drive it in reverse a bunch.
Does the Ascent have a gear driven reverse?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Based on backing up about 50 ft yesterday I'd guess it has a gear because it felt more connected and normal but don't 100% me on that.

Reverse in any car can shorten the lifespan. The shaft is spinning the opposite way so gears used to scooping oil and pushing it up (manual trans, rear/center/front diff) won't be as effective moving oil around.

How much does it shorten the lifespan? Unless you're driving in reverse miles at a time I doubt you could even quantify it.

Reactions: AnacortesArmyGuy

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does seem like the belt would be more of a one-way type belt and maybe that's why? Maybe there is less lubrication between the surfaces.
If this is the case i'll need to try and avoid backing up a trailer uphill:(

·
Registered
35 Posts
Denissh: That's a great video. Magnumb. Yes it has (sort of) a gear driven reverse. The gears in the planetary gear set are locked together for forward motion, and spin inside the ring gear to cause it to turn backwards for reverse. So maybe (assuming your source is correct) the wear they are talking about is in the planetary gear pack, since in reverse that is unlocked and doesn't turn as a single unit. However, planetary gears have been part of automatic transmission since I was a kid, so hard to believe that is a weak spot. Reverse ratio isn't much different than "first gear" so the planetary isn't multiplying torque. ???

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
I've read this and want to know if it's true that if you want to burn out a CVT fast you drive it in reverse a bunch.
I can't speak to others, but I am pretty sure that in a Subaru CVT, the pulleys and chain always spin the same direction, and the reverse brake and forward clutch are after it. Ratio is then regulated as appropriate for reverse.

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
Denissh: That's a great video. Magnumb. Yes it has (sort of) a gear driven reverse. The gears in the planetary gear set are locked together for forward motion, and spin inside the ring gear to cause it to turn backwards for reverse. So maybe (assuming your source is correct) the wear they are talking about is in the planetary gear pack, since in reverse that is unlocked and doesn't turn as a single unit. However, planetary gears have been part of automatic transmission since I was a kid, so hard to believe that is a weak spot. Reverse ratio isn't much different than "first gear" so the planetary isn't multiplying torque. ???
Well, there is a difference in how they're connected in a Subie CVT.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I'm eagerly watching Toyota's direct drive system they're designing to replace the need for a torque converter. Basically, it's direct drive until a pre-set speed, and then it'll kick over to the CVT. Seems neat. Apparently most of the wear and tear happens at lower speeds in a CVT, says Toyota.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm eagerly watching Toyota's direct drive system they're designing to replace the need for a torque converter. Basically, it's direct drive until a pre-set speed, and then it'll kick over to the CVT. Seems neat. Apparently most of the wear and tear happens at lower speeds in a CVT, says Toyota.
? is since Toyota owns parts of Subaru will that tech make it over or will Toyota want to keep it for itself?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
There's a youtuber (engineernig explained) that stated that switching from Reverse to Drive w/o making complete stop can negatively affect the CVT prematurely. It's actually a habit of mine and I can't seem to stop it when I'm in a rush.

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
There's a youtuber (engineernig explained) that stated that switching from Reverse to Drive w/o making complete stop can negatively affect the CVT prematurely. It's actually a habit of mine and I can't seem to stop it when I'm in a rush.
Totally true, but similar to doing it with an automatic. In one case, you run the risk of the CVT chain breaking or exploding. In the other case, you run the risk of the gears shearing teeth or exploding. In both cases, you run the risk of destroying the torque converter or damaging the engine.

Of course, that's dependent on the speed one does it at.

Don't do this at home

·
Registered
932 Posts
? is since Toyota owns parts of Subaru will that tech make it over or will Toyota want to keep it for itself?
They seem to share technologies, and collaborated on the FT86/BRZ model... I'm sure it's a question of licensing and practicality. Like the dual-rail fuel injectors they use to counter potential DI valve issues... Don't forget, Subaru has spent a lot of time and money on the transmissions they have. They don't want to just kick their designs to the curb. But, I like that it's a different way of looking at things. That's what keeps technology moving forward, constantly trying to one-up each other.

I finally got smart about it and leased my car. I should probably do the same with my phone instead of buying the newest iPhone every year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts