Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone else receive this recall notice in your email last night? It says it’s for the possibility of the driveshaft disconnecting. Sounds pretty serious, but maybe just missing a bolt or something? It don’t really give much details.
Text Font Document

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
same here. I’m curious if it’s a small recall or if they just haven’t updated all the vins yet. If it’s a small recall it also makes we wonder what the difference is between the builds.
Curious too. I don’t have the recall on my Current VIN or old one, but I got that email?? So makes me wonder if mine is in it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
According to documents on NHTSA website it affects 166 vehicles produced between June 7, 2019- June 11, 2019.

“During manufacture of the propeller shaft assembly, the mounting surfaces for the two (2) center support brace bolts were inadvertently painted as shown in the NG example photo below. The mounting surface should be unpainted as shown in the OK photo. Because of this, the mounting bolt torque applied during propeller shaft installation may relax due to continued vibration. This service procedure involves replacing the propeller shaft assembly and the related hardware.”

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
According to documents on NHTSA website it affects 166 vehicles produced between June 7, 2019- June 11, 2019.

“During manufacture of the propeller shaft assembly, the mounting surfaces for the two (2) center support brace bolts were inadvertently painted as shown in the NG example photo below. The mounting surface should be unpainted as shown in the OK photo. Because of this, the mounting bolt torque applied during propeller shaft installation may relax due to continued vibration. This service procedure involves replacing the propeller shaft assembly and the related hardware.”
Thanks for finding that! Glad it was just very few cars! That late of production they may not have even made it to any customers like the weld issue that time.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,215 Posts
That is already discussed in the Recalls section of this forum. It only applies to a total of 196 specific vehicles...a tiny number compared to how many have been built to-date.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Oops ,link did not post probably.Don’t know what going on with this site,but anyways the recall pertains to bolts retaining the drive shaft can come loose.Look up Mr. Subaru on YouTube for the full vlog.

I called the numbers he provided,basically the Subaru Recall Center and my vehicle is not affected by this recall(called both #’s) even though it’s with in the built date time frame.According to the video only 166 Ascent’s are affected but we’ll see how much further down the line it goes.

·
Super Moderator
4,215 Posts

Correct. Only 166 specific vehicles are impacted by this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not sure why people get so bent out of shape about recalls. I generally don't mind them. Generally you get to take your car in at your convenience, the dealer often provides you with a loaner, and your car is proactively corrected/repaired.

Every manufacturer has recalls.

Sure, if the number is excessive then it becomes too much of a hassle. But the alternative is not knowing about the potential issue, and often having the issue manifest itself with your car at an inopportune time.

We had the driveshaft disconnect on our 2011 BMW X5. We were two hours from home on a Sunday, had to be towed to the nearest dealer (who was closed), and then make transportation arrangements to get home from there. And the transmission was damaged in the incident and had to be replaced too.

According to the BMW forums we were not the only owners who had the driveshaft disconnect, and eventually BMW recalled a substantial number of X5's and also extended the warranty on the driveshaft.

So when you start comparing the number of recalls on different vehicles, think about whether you would have a manufacturer who proactively corrects problems versus tending to just let them go and fix the vehicle when it breaks, what the nature of the recall is (for example not unusual for it to be a software emissions related upgrade for which the owner would never recognize any issue) and how many vehicles were involved in the recall. There have been recalls as innocuous as the need to replace a sticker under the hood that did not meet an EPA regulation.

·
Super Moderator
4,215 Posts
Dan, I agree. Recalls are a good thing. "Back in the day", a lot of stuff didn't get corrected.

And in this case, only a whopping 166 vehicles were affected...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts